Waterproof mattress protectors

I know there are alot of “waterproof” mattress protectors out there. Hard to tell which are good or bad.

Don’t know if I got a good one, but I bought the one I got because it felt the nicest and stated you can wash and dry it on HOT setting. Which is what I dry my sheets at. I believe some have you dry at low temps. The top of the cover is smooth like a polyester which I thought would be better than the kind that have that cotton on the top with regards to dust mites, etc.

I got the 5-sided uDREAM by Fabrictech “featuring” OmniGuard advance. I got it at one of the chained mattress stores. Was like $80. The sales person stated it was made just for their chain of stores. Not sure if that is true or not, but can’t really find into on it on the web.

I’ve heard of some people putting a zippable cover on the mattress, then putting 5-sided waterpoof cover on top. That way the mattress is protected at all times when you wash the sheets and 5-sided waterproof cover. I guess it’s just extra protection, but I know the mattress guys will try and find whatever stain they can to void warranty.

Hi jasonsmith,

This is quite common for people who have allergies and use a breathable allergy cover that completely surrounds the mattress and doesn’t allow any dust mites or their by products to get in or out of the mattress and then add a waterproof protector over this to protect against spills, body fluids and moisture, and accidents. I’m not so sure I would use two waterproof protectors (one that surrounds the mattress and one 5 sided) because it would significantly reduce the ventilation and breathability of the mattress and possibly change the “feel” as well…

Phoenix

Can you recommend some zippable dust mite covers?

Hi jasonsmith,

Post #2 here may help.

If I had allergy issues I would personally look for breathable non waterproof fabrics with small enough pore sizes to prevent any allergens from penetrating and then use a waterproof or water resistant protector on top of it.

Phoenix

I’ll have to look at that Allersoft encasement. Since I’m putting a waterproof cover on top. With the Allersoft encasement, would it be better to go with 100% cotton, or the poly/cotton blend?

Hi jasonsmith,

That would really be a matter of preference and cost and the particle size of the allergens you want to control (the poly/cotton blend has smaller pore sizes). My own personal preference (which may not be the same as others) would lean towards natural fibers because they are generally better at ventilation and wicking moisture than synthetics or synthetic blends even though they may be a little more costly.

Phoenix

Do the Allersoft dust mite covers also protect against bed bugs? I noticed they have a “bed bug” cover, and a “dust mite” cover. But their “dust mite” cover doesn’t mention anything about bed bugs. I called them and they said they all protect against bed bugs. But made me wonder why they don’t mention the “bed bugs” in the description of the “dust mite” cover.

Would like protection for bed bugs, allergens, and dust mites. Then I’ll put my 5-sided waterproof cover on top.

Also plan on getting a cover for my box spring. Probably have to go low profile since everyone has thickened up their mattress. And I don’t want my mattress to get too high for my night stand.

Hi jasonsmity,

Bedbugs are much larger than dust mites so a cover with a pore size that protects against dust mites will generally also protect against bed bugs.

For your box spring a less expensive synthetic cover will work fine because it’s performance in terms of moisture wicking, “feel” and breathability isn’t as important.

Phoenix

I went with the Allersoft cotton set. It comes with the economy box spring encasement, cotton mattress encasement, and two cotton pillow covers.

Hi jasonsmith,

It sounds to me like you made good choices for all of them :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Anyone know if the Fabrictech OmniGuard Advance protectors are good?

www.multimaster.com.au/BedCare_MasterProductsDes.aspx?p=51

Haven’t used it yet, but do like how it doesn’t have any cotton on top.

Got the 5 sided bed protector to go over the Allersoft cotton encasement. Am getting the cotton Allersoft pillow covers, but was thinking of going with waterproof covers instead since I sweat at night sometimes. So was thinking of getting the Fabritech waterproof pillow protectors, though they are a little pricey.