We are spoiled rotten people with too many bed choices...

Ok, this is not at all a “new” topic, but I just need a bit of advice. I have decided on the manufacturer for the mattress I’d like to buy but I cannot decide between two mattresses. Here is my first issue;

I’m going to get a king size Ultimate Dreams mattress but I don’t really know if the euro top is necessary or not…I mean, I would rather have that one (who wouldn’t?) but it’s $250 more than the one without the euro top. The $750 one does have almost perfect reviews and is 10" but the euro top one has all 5 star reviews from every reviewer and you can change out the top piece. But is that really necessary???

My next issue is about the frame/support. They recommend a folding metal frame called, “Structures by Malouf HIGHRISE Folding Metal Bed Frame 14” High Bi-Fold Platform Bed Base and Box Spring" and it’s $184 and real ugly! It does have lots of good reviews but a common note and some bad reviews do say it squeaks quite a bit. I don’t really want the squeaky bed thing going on. The other issue I’m wondering about is whether or not the cheaper ones are just as good…or if all of them are just, eh…

Ikea has the SULTAN LAXEBY which is an adjustable slatted base and the SULTAN LURÖY which is just bowed slats for about $120 less than the Laxeby. Both are also ideas I’m considering.

Any advice or experience with any of these items would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance…I’m in the social justice profession, so I clearly don’t have gobs of money to throw around but I do have plenty of backache to go around!

Hi shelbyabriggs,

The choice between the EuroTop and the Ultra Plush would be a personal preference based on the parts of your personal value equation that were most important to you. It would also depend on how confident you were that your comfort choice was right for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and wouldn’t need to change. If you have tested any latex hybrid mattresses locally then this may also be a useful guideline. There is no better or worse here … only deciding which set of features and benefits is most important to you.

If you are on the end of the scale that is closer to the “I can sleep on anything” side then perhaps the exchangeable top may not be so important to you. If you are very sensitive and want the re-assurance that you can change the comfort layer at a reasonable cost if you need to then the Eurotop may be well worth considering. You can see some of the additional benefits of the Eurotop and a comparison between the two in post # here.

Just to throw one additional option into the mix … the Cotton Camilla here also has the exchangeable layer and is very similar to the Eurotop but is in between the two in terms of cost. The mattresses on their own site also have a little better exchange policy (you pay shipping only).

The foundation thread here has the better foundation options I’m aware of and more information about the wire grid types like the Malouf and other options as well. Any “squeaks” seem to come from the attachment arms and don’t seem difficult to fix if it happens but of course this isn’t based on my own personal experience.

I wold tend towards a more rigid foundation rather than a flexible foundation unless your mattress was thinner and would benefit from flexible slats. You would also need to buy something for these to sit on like an Ikea bedframe (they are not meant to use by themselves).

You are certainly looking at some good options but the choice between them would always be based on your own preferences, confidence, and “risk tolerance”.

Phoenix