Websites for DIY Latex Hybrid offering more than 1 layer of latex?

Hi, I’m a 35 year old 250lb female exclusive side-sleeper with neck/shoulder/hip pain. Former stomach sleeper. My current matress is a cheap memory foam hybrid that is medium firm. I sleep with a C pillow typically to better align my body but often I still find myself crossing my arms in front of my neck (think dracula in the fetal position cocooned in a comforter snoring in multiple octaves simultaneously…smh)

I am looking for a full or queen sized latex hybrid mattress with 2 different layers of latex on top of the springs.

I am wondering if there are any websites that offer more options than the generic zoned pocket coils + 2-3" latex. I looked long and hard at avocado but I can’t get past the organic/green/vegan/natural/wholistic marketing that saturates their website which doesn’t appeal to my better judgement and which I don’t care to pay extra for. I’ve never experienced any “off gassing” from any of the mattresses or toppers I’ve ever slept on. I want the best materials, so if natural is the best quality, the that’s what I want. But the fact that something is natural holds no inherent value to me. What I do want is a comfortable longlasting well-made mattress with a multitude of customization options conveniently listed on a single website. Does it exist?

Hi lucyinthefknsky,

Sorry to hear of the painful sounding experience with your ‘cheap memory foam hybrid’ mattress…quite a unique fix for your pains - the ‘vampire solution’!

As you probably know, any mattress you choose should be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). As you can see by comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is one of the most durable mattress materials you can have. Memory foam, if of insufficient density or composed of cheap ‘filler’ does tend to break down prematurely leaving ‘ridges’ and ‘valleys’ which can cause aches, pains and alignment issues as you are experiencing. If you like the feel of latex, a latex hybrid of compatible firmness and support for your body profile could be the perfect solution, providing a sleep solution that will last many many years.

As you have found, many of the online ‘big brands’ are surrounded by marketing hype, and a lack of transparency in their materials and construction, which makes it difficult to assess their suitability for any sleeper. For a higher BMI side sleeper, it’s even more vital to find a good mattress that’s not only comfortable, but adequately supportive for you. Also different types of latex rubber have different ‘feels’ - Talalay is considered a ‘bouncier’ latex ( the difference between angel food cake and pound cake is a good comparison), which is something else to keep in mind. Your post title mentions a DIY build…while this can be the most ultimately rewarding, in that a consumer can ‘dial in’ their ideal comfort and support options, it’s certainly not a project to be taken on lightly, as it can require much consideration and exchanging/rearranging of layers to find the ‘sweet spot’. If you do want to try a DIY, Arizona Premium Mattress can provide components for DIY builds, and DIY Mattress can provide both the coil units as well as latex in any thickness. I agree that organic is not a strict necessity, though many consumers do prefer the peace of mind a ‘greener’ mattress provides. Also, you should avoid the softest latex as a top layer, as higher BMI sleepers may find it ‘breaks down’ much faster for lower ILDs or densities and you can end up ‘bottoming out’ on the layer below, causing aches. Pains and alignment issues.

Many of the Trusted Members of the site carry a variety of latex hybrid mattresses that have consistent quality, transparency in materials and components, and great customer support as well as generous exchange and return policies; Custom Sleep Technology, for example, has a Body Profile Questionnaire which they utilize to construct a customized modular latex or polyfoam/latex combo mattress, while SleepEZ, Biosleep Concept, Flexus, European Sleep Works, and Latex Mattress Factory, among others, all carry a number of latex hybrid mattresses with quality ‘top line’ innersprings at in different configurations and price points, which you may want to review.

Also. it’s probably best to stay away from the ‘bed in a box’ big brands completely, as the potential for wear and strain on components from long-term compressed storage can affect the condition of the components and mattress as a whole. For general major online brands, the operative concept of ‘Caveat Emptor’ - let the buyer beware - is one to keep in mind. Shopping at a smaller manufacturer, like our Trusted Members allows them to assist you in finding a customized sleep system within your budget that will allow you to forego the ‘Dracula Pose’ for good!

~ Basilio

Thank you for your reply. I have actually spent quite a lot of time browsing your site and your trusted partners but I still haven’t quite found one that fit the bill.

Arizona Premium - probaby one of my top potential options right now but they haven’t replied yet to my email that I sent a week ago asking for a quote/recommendations.

SleepEZ - almost. I like the idea of doublesided but I worry the extremes of fitm/soft may not provide the support im needing. The 360 hybrid is a top contender but Im not satisfied with their explanations of what constitutes medium plush vs medium firm. They say medium plush includes soft latex on top while medium firm has medium latex (but that it is considered 7-9/10 on the firmness scale) im concerned that their medium plush will be too soft of a comfort layer and their medium firm will be too firm. And it says that the bottom layer of latex is customizable but it isn’t. It’d be cool i could order dunlop on bottom and talalay on top for a truly different feel.

Biosleep
Unique approach but not what looking for

Flexus there is only 1 available customization option on their hybrid… Soft medium or firm.

European sleep works has some interesting options but I’d definitely need to try them out to determine if all those microcoils did it for me.

Latex mattress factory doesn’t have any hybrids.

Please correct me if im wrong on any of these.

Hi there,
We are one of the newer trusted members, and I wanted to mention that Naturepedic carries a high-quality hybrid in their EOS line. The EOS pillowtop features just what you described - 2 layers on top of springs, with the pillowtop layer having its own compartment. Five different firmness configurations, so lots to choose from.

They are organic, and so do carry a higher price point, but they also feature a 25 year warranty, (10 year full, 15 year pro-rated) which speaks to the longevity of their mattresses.

The mattresses come shipped in a box, but they make them right there so they are not sitting in storage.

I hope this is helpful,
Katie

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Thank you!!

1 Like

You are welcome! If you need help today, staff are available until 2 at the number listed on our site.