WEIGHT, ILD AND TALALAY LATEX TOPPERS

Dear Phoenix,

I have spoken to the owner of Arizona Premium mattress company (great person took his time to explain many things and told me to try to find the topper locally) he recommended his Rejuvenite 3" blended talalay topper in ILD 19… i also agree that a talalay latex topper is the right choice for me…however he did not know my weight… as well as the following :

• 200 lb female
    *mild case of fibro
    *shoulders approx 17 inches wide (my hips are in line with my shoulders)
    *stomach sleeper (but would like to try to sleep on my side so far I just cannot… even with my back so sore I go on my stomach)
    *base is a new Simmons beautyrest in firm (I cannot sleep on it at all)

I am so afraid of not getting the right ILD as I cannot return the topper and I am Canadian so with the shipping and exchange it will be over $600.

I live in Montreal and cannot find anyone that has the talalay toppers that I can go lay on to know for sure what is right for me. (I did call or check the web sites on your list of places in Quebec and did not find any) (and if there was one found here would it be the same quality as Arizona Premium is what I wonder)

I have been on a memory foam topper for eight years and my back took a beating from the hammock effect but I loved the coziness and how I had no pressure points but I know now I have to find something that keeps my spine in line and something that when I lay on my stomach or side I do not feel pressure on my hips or shoulders. At 45 I cannot afford to not be sleeping properly anymore.

Right now I have the:
Serafina™ Gel Memory Foam Topper with Pillow Top sold at Costco Canada
Topper Construction:
Quilted fiber fill top for plush comfort
5.1 cm (2 in.) of Gel Memory Foam for cooling comfort and support (3.2 lb density)
2.5 cm (1 in.) of Flextech foam for customized responsive support

I bought it a few months ago and it is a disaster for me. Not only do I have worsened back pain … but now I have right shoulder pain as I tried to sleep on my side…and I overheat and do not sleep the whole night. I toss and turn all night …I know because my hair is all teased like an eighties up do in the morning.

I know all the pains are from my bed as I have been checked by my Dr had MRI etc…and also the aches subside as the day goes on and when I wake in the morning it is all back again and it is getting worse every day.

People who sleep well are so fortunate… I hope you can recommend a topper for me… I believe if you cannot nobody can

Best regards,
Candi

Hi Candi,

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations with any certainly because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress or a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which topper would be the best “match” for both you in combination with the mattress you are using it on in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of "comfort and PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

It would be surprising to me if none of the manufacturers on the Montreal list carried toppers but if for some reason none of them do then it would still be a good idea to test some of their latex mattresses that have softer comfort layers so you can get some sense of the firmness that may be best for you.

Some of the better suppliers I’m aware of that ship mattresses and/or toppers across Canada are also listed in post #21 here.

Any type or blend of latex (either Dunlop or Talalay and made with natural rubber, synthetic rubber, or a blend of both) would be a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam. The choice between different types and blends of latex is a preference and budget choice more than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about some of the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but again the most reliable way to know which type of topper or which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience.

Most people with fibromyalgia are very sensitive to pressure points and will often prefer a topper that is softer than others in the same weight range would normally choose so a 2" or 3" topper that was 19 ILD would be a reasonable “guess” but of course it would only be a guess because you are the only one that can confirm how well you sleep on any mattress/topper combination.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your speedy response. I have two questions…

1. Based on just physics (putting all other factors aside) In your opinion would 19 ILD Talalay topper on a firm new mattress keep my back aligned (assume I will sleep mostly on my stomach) given my weight (200 lbs)

2 You said:
"but again the most reliable way to know which type of topper or which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience"

I agree and I am trying to find a place (I live in Montreal) where I can go lay down on 19 ILD talalay ( with fibro I definitely want talalay)
Here is the list you gave me which I am very grateful but as you can see my comments (beside each supplier) I cannot go to any of these places as they are very far away …

See comments beside each place you listed:

www.halstead.ca/ Member of The Mattress Underground b[/b]

tmasc.ca/store/sfnt.html Member of The Mattress Underground (EDMONTON CALGARY)

en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/ Member of The Mattress Underground (QUEBEC BUT Because of the chemical content of talalay they no longer carry it.)

dormio.ca/ Member of The Mattress Underground (ONTARIO)

https://www.novosbed.com/ Member of The Mattress Underground (EDMONTON AND DOES NOT SELL TOPPERS)

Dreamfoam Bedding (shipped and fulfilled by Amazon.ca only) (USA)

https://www.bestsleepcentre.com/[b] (WINNIPEG)[/b]

Sleepy's - Mattress & Furniture Store – Sleepys - Kelowna Bedroom Furniture & Sleep Shop (BRITISH COLUMBIA)

tonfurniture.com b[/b]

So given this I need to know where I can go to lay down on 19 ILD talalay in Montreal or within a couple of hours drive from Montreal and hoping you are able to refer a place.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks again for all your help thus far.

Candi

Hi Candi,

Unfortunately I can’t feel what you feel or see you sleeping on a particular mattress/topper combination and there are too many possible variations in your body type and physiology, your sleeping positions, and the mattress you would be using under the topper for me (or a physicist) to know this and the only way to know for certain will be based on your actual sleeping experience on your mattress/topper combination.

Having said that … if your only criteria was alignment when you are sleeping on your stomach then a 3" 19 ILD topper would probably be somewhat riskier than a firmer or thinner topper.

[quote]2 You said:
“but again the most reliable way to know which type of topper or which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience”

I agree and I am trying to find a place (I live in Montreal) where I can go lay down on 19 ILD talalay ( with fibro I definitely want talalay)
Here is the list you gave me which I am very grateful but as you can see my comments (beside each supplier) I cannot go to any of these places as they are very far away …

See comments beside each place you listed:[/quote]

The businesses you listed were on the Canadian online list I linked in my last reply. When I mentioned that it would be surprising to me if none of the local manufacturers carried toppers I was referring to the Montreal list I also linked (which I think you’d already seen). I don’t know which of them carry toppers or for the ones that do the specific information about the toppers that they carry so you will need to check their websites or better yet phone them to find out whether any of them carry latex toppers in the firmness you are looking for that you would be interested in testing.

Phoenix