Welcome to our forum

Hi Phoenix,

Well we are now well ensconced in our Exceptional Touch Mattress that we purchased from Jeff at Matt to Go. It is wonderful. Sometimes when I wake briefly during the night, I think this mattress is so comfortable and best of all - I am SO comfortable!

Your site and answers to my questions and Jeffā€™s guidance and helpfulness at his store all went in to helping us make this good decision. Weā€™re both very grateful that we didnā€™t buy the other two mattresses we were considering before we heard about your site and Jeffā€™s ā€œBed-ucationā€ on You Tube. Jeff gave us the 5% off for being forum members and went out of his way to make this purchase an easy experience.

Our thanks go out to you and Jeff for your help with this. We are very satisfied customers.

Nancydlw

Hi nancydlw,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I switched your posts to a new topic title that was a little more descriptive so that others will have an easier time finding it and benefitting from your experience and feedback.

Itā€™s always good to see when people make a great choice and are sleeping better!

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,
I just found the Mattress Underground Site. I appreciate the fact that you are trying to enlighten thee Public on what can be a very Blind Item. I run a small store. We carry off brands, from local companies, but quality products. A manufacturer called Sherwood they have been making mattresses across the U.S. for a hundred years. No one knows of them, but they have made the ā€œHouse Brandsā€ for many of the Big retailers. Older retailers would know them by their old name I.B.C.or International Bedding. But there are many smaller manufacturers who make great quality products all across the country.

Hi johnny33426,

While I donā€™t mind that you mentioned the name of your store in your original post as an introduction (which I replied to as well) ā€¦ I removed the name of your store from this post because any advertising or self promotion is against the rules of the forum.

As you may know from your reading here ā€¦ I would certainly agree with this.

Phoenix

PS: you resurrected a very old topic and since the forum is almost 4 years old ā€¦ it isnā€™t quite so new any more :slight_smile:

Just joined The Mattress Underground. Very glad for such a site to help sort out this important decision since we typically spend 1/3 of our lives on matresses and it greatly impacts the quality of the other 2/3 of our lives!

Looking forward to having what appears at first visit to be a very content-rich source of seemingly unbiased information all in one place.

Thanks Mattress Underground!

Hi lheidler,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

thank you for all this info, Iā€™m ready to start learning, and after that, buying!

Hi Betheljoy,

Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and any comments or questions you may also have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi everyone. I just found this forum and have already found some good info. I am shopping for a new mattress but unfortunately know little about them.
Iā€™ve checked a couple of stores near me where I learned about the special financing deals but not much about mattresses. Yes you can buy that TEMPUR-PEDIC for less than $100 for 36 months. Who wants to tie themselves to paying 3 years for a mattress. Donā€™t get me wrong, I donā€™t money. I used to sell jewelry in a well known department store but because of my back had to give it up. I make less than half of what I use to make so I have to stretch every dollar as far as I can.
Iā€™m hoping that a new mattress will help my back because the surgery did almost as much damage as it did good. Ok, enough of that. Iā€™ve been doing lots of reading about mattresses and have just about decided to get a Leesa. I have thought about getting an adjustable frame but I canā€™t justify the price so I think Iā€™ll just get a new foundation. I can get both for about $1000. Anything I should look at for about the same money?
Iā€™m about 5ā€™10, 220lbs and I sleep on my side.
TIA for your input.

Hi SteveB,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

While I can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ Itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™ve read since you found the site but just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You can see some general comments about what I call ā€œsimplified choice mattressesā€ in general in post #1 here and you can see some more specific comments about the Leesa mattress along with many of the other ā€œsimplified choiceā€ online mattresses in post #2 here in the same topic. A forum search on ā€œLeesaā€ (you can just click the link) will also bring up many more posts with comments and feedback about it as well.

I would be cautious here because the 2" of 3 lb memory foam in the Leesa is a lower quality/density material than the minimums I would generally suggest in the guidelines here and I would consider it to be a potential weak link in the mattress although the 2" of Avena polyfoam above the memory foam would improve the durability of the memory foam somewhat compared to having the same lower density memory foam in the top layer of the mattress.

Outside of the simplified choice list ā€¦ if you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial also includes several other links to lists of many of the better online options Iā€™m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with a range of different return/exchange policies that may also be worth considering.

There may also be some good options available to you locally and if you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

This site is a wealth of knowledge!
Hey youā€™re going to spend a 1/3 of your life in bed, might as well put some thought and research into it!
Thanks Phoenix!

Hi Anthonyy408,

Thanks for the kind comments ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site was able to help you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello, and thanks for making all of your wonderful research available to the public. We live in Paducah, KY and I found one post from 2011 that lists manufactures/retailers in our area. We were planning to visit Sterling Mattress in Herrin, IL, however, it appears they are no longer listed on your ā€œTrusted Members Listā€. Are they no longer in good standing? Is there anyone in our area that you would recommend that was not listed in the post from 2011? Thank you.

Hi TheSmiths.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind words ā€¦I am glad that our website is helpful and that you have found us.
You are correct that Sterling Mattress is no longer a member of the site but Iā€™d still recommend that you visit them as they make good/quality products at a good price and it would be well worth driving to do some local testing. I donā€™t know what mattress type you are interested in or if you decided what is best for you, but this would be a great place to start with your mattress testing. As you already discovered there are some good options listed in posts # 6, 7, 18 here but we do not have site members that are close enough to youā€¦ all our members in that region are massed North from Paducah across the state My Green Mattress and Quality Sleep Shop in are located LaGrange, and Sleep On Latex in Chicago, IL.

Iā€™d be interested to find about the results of your visits
Phoenix

We are also considering DutchCraft and Jamison. When I did a search for Jamison one of the beds weā€™ve been looking at pops up first. Unfortunately, when I click on the links I get a ā€œ404ā€ error message. Is there a workaround that would allow me to get to that particular thread so I can read it?

Hi TheSmiths:

From what I could gather by looking at the screenshots you attached ā€¦this search here probably has what you are looking for. If you are encountering broken links within the older posts throughout our site keep in mind that website changes or discontinued products may lead to similar 404 errors. While we update some of the broken links usually for reference and historical recordkeeping we chose to leave links unaltered even though they may result in 404 errors (they are still a good pointer to the type of information contained within the link).

From your attachments, I am not able to quickly determine if you also encountered a specific broken link in your search but if you provide the link to the post where the 404 error resides Iā€™d be happy to have a look to see if it should be updated or preserved.

I am not sure what info you are after but Jamison is a mattress manufacturer that was acquired by Solstice Sleep Products sometimes in 2014 but their site is still active under the same name/URL and you can easily check out the lines they offer and find a store location for a retailer in your area

Phoenix

Yes. That was the thread I was trying to get to. Here is the direct link ā€” https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/opinion-on-jamison-tlc-hybrid-3000-firm .

We are an average BMI, are both side/back sleepers (50/50) and my wife tends to sleep hot. Our current bed is a very old ā€œViolaā€ by Simmons Beautyrest. It was comfortable for the first three years then it became akin to sleeping on a board.

We are looking at ā€œThe Stepanieā€. It has comfort layers that can be removed, shuffled, or replaced via zipper. We are afraid the foam may cause one of us to be hot, however, they do sell a ā€œcoolingā€ mattress cover to prevent this. We like our mattresses to have a bit more spring to them so it was suggested replacing one of the layers with blended Dunlop latex. I donā€™t have additional info on the latex. Would latex make it more springy without increasing firmness?

We visited Sterling Mattress and talked to a couple of the gentlemen there. Weā€™ve also corresponded with the owner. Here is the info provided by them and their foam manufacturers website.

Per the foam manufacturers website the foams are CertiPUR-US certified.

Pocket coils ā€” they were of decent quality. Iā€™m uncertain where my note is with the exact gauge.

The outside perimeter of the pocket coils are surrounded by 3" of 1.8 lb density foam.

The convoluted foam covering the top of the coils is 1" of 2.3 lb density.

The next layer is 1.5" of 3 lb Energex. People at the store called it synthetic latex but I believe they actually meant latex substitute.

The top layer is 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam.

The cover has no padding in it, itā€™s a polyester fabric.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Hi,

I would replace the memory foam layer with latex or a blended latex layer. The latex has an instant response and will feel more ā€œspringā€ like. I hope this helps.

Thank you MyGreenMattress

Hello. When you moved my post you accidentally missed the beginning of my conversation with Pheonix regarding Sterling Mattress Co. There are three additional posts on Pg 2 of the Welcome forum.

Hi TheSmiths.

You are quite right! :blink: Thanks for mentioning itā€¦ this escaped me when I moved your post. It is fixed now.
Our MGM Expert will take good care of you. :slight_smile:

Phoenix