Went Mattress Shopping...More Confused

A little background…we’ve just gotten rid of an Englander soft memory foam pillow top that we loved, but my husband was beginning to have back pain, and it wasn’t holding its shape. I purchased a “freight damaged” Serta iComfort Prodigy (bit firm for us) that turned out to be a used mattress, so we returned it & received a full refund. I’ve started doing better research now because of these problems and have started reading a lot on this site, hoping for answers.

I had my mind just about set on going with the Dreamfoam 13" Gel Memory Foam mattress until tonight. We went and tested out the comparable Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, and neither of us found it impressive. However, I realize that full memory foam takes time to get used to, but it scares me that the Amazon reviews say that the Dreamfoam is firmer. I have to have soft…no idea why, but I cannot sleep well on a firm mattress.

We liked this Anniversary model by Sleep Inc. that we found in an outlet locally, but I imagine it’s not great quality. Here’s one of the only links I can find to a description of it: http://www.saltlakemattress.com/sleep-inc-by-spring-air-anniversary-pillow-top.php

Based on our history and preferences, would it be a bad decision to try to switch to the Dreamfoam? Any advice or opinions is appreciated. We are on a limited budget-less than $1000.

Hi kykinrimom,

Just in case you haven’t yet … I would make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

If you have carefully tested this mattress and you are confident that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then the next step is to make sure you can find out the type and quality of the materials inside it to make sure that it doesn’t have any lower quality materials or weak links in the design. The link you posted doesn’t include any meaningful information about the quality of the materials over the innerspring (see this article) but if you can find out the information you need from the retailer and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside it.

Unfortunately nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict whether a mattress is a good match for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” so only you can answer this (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would also keep in mind that firmness and softness is very subjective and a mattress can feel too firm for one person and feel too soft for someone else. This is especially true with memory foam because outside of the normal break in period where there will be some initial softening … memory foam is also responsive to temperature so the same mattress can feel softer or firmer in different temperatures or conditions. I would be somewhat cautious though since this mattress is an approximation of the Cloud Luxe and if your testing indicated that the Luxe wasn’t suitable for you in terms of PPP then this one may not be either.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress and how to minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here that may be helpful.

If you do decide to try the Dreamfoam then I would make sure you have a more detailed conversation with them to help you decide whether you believe it would be a reasonable match for you and I would also order it from the Dreamfoam site so that you can take advantage of the 10% discount (see their facebook page here) and their 45 day comfort guarantee as well so that the most you would be risking would be $99 if the mattress isn’t as good a match for you as you hoped for.

Assuming you are in the Salt Lake City area … the better local options and possibilities I’m aware of (subject to the value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix