We're going with Sleep EZ(I think), but I've got a few more questions

For anyone who’s gone with Sleep EZ latex mattress, or for that matter, anyone who knows a lot about latex mattresses…I’ve spoken with Sean at Sleep EZ, and he’s given me his suggestions for my a split Latex 10,000 Queen. However, I’m still quite confused about Dunlop vs Talalay and Organic vs Natural. Can anyone explain the benefits or downsides to either??

Also, how difficult is it to “build” these mattresses and then rebuild if necessary?

Hi reneegavin,

I think I’ve (hopefully) answered most of this in my reply and links in post #4 here.

Your question about “organic” though is the source of a lot of confusion and misinformation alll over the web.

To label a product as organic … it has to be certified as organic by the USDA.

An organic mattress would need to be certified as a complete unit and every step of the production process is evaluated before organic certification is granted. In other words … a mattress that contains all organic ingredients is still not organic until the entire production process of the mattress is certified … even if it uses organic materials.

For latex to be certified as organic … the entire production process needs to be certified from the plantation and growing cycle itself to the production of the latex. If you have a material such as latex that only uses natural ingredients and no pesticides or other harmful chemicals in the growing cycle of the rubber trees and in the production of the foam … it would still not be organic unless the entire process had been certified. In other words … in some cases the only difference between organic and 100% natural could be the certification process not the actual material or method of production itself.

There are only two companies that product USDA certified organic latex. Both are made with the Dunlop process and one is CoCo latex and the other is Latex Green. Both carry a premium price over their 100% natural product because of the time and expense involved in the certification process itself … not necessarily because the organic is “better” than 100% natural.

Talalay latex (and Dunlop latex) can also be made using either natural rubber or a blend of synthetic and natural rubber. At this point … there is no USDA certified organic Talalay however.

Wool, fabrics, and other materials can also be 100% natural or “certified organic”. In some cases … wool or other materials that are not certified (because the manufacturer didn’t want to go through the expense of certification and add to the expense of the product) can be better quality and even more “pure” than organic wool or fabrics or other materials that meet the minimum qualifications to be labeled organic.

So most of the “organic” labeling online is very misleading and should be labelled “100% natural”. If a claim is made that something is organic then they should also be able to show you the organic certification of that material or the complete product (if the claim is that the complete product is organic).

Unless there is a strong preference for organic ingredients and a consumer is willing to pay the premium that is involved in a certified organic product which may not be any higher quality than a non organic alternative … then 100% natural is usually better value.

Phoenix

I bit the bullet and went with the Organic (didn’t read this first) 100% Talalay, SleepEZ 10000 with his/her sides. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed! Thank you for all of your detailed advice!

Hi reneegavin,

I forgot to say congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you’ll let us know how you like it when you’ve had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Thanks! We are putting the bed together today. The free shredded pillows are fantastic!