What brands in Canada - Latex?

After reading this forum/site for a while I decided that Latex or Coil Spring/Latex hybrid is the way to go for the the new mattress. Breathable, durable with good support are the points of the main focus. Breathable being a very important trait. We are both side and back sleepers.
Being in Canada limits my choices, since shipping a mattress from US is not an option. The max budget that I am comfortable with is $2500 (CAD). But cheaper is better. Organic or not, it does not really matter.
What are the good brands available in Canada for this type of mattresses? So far I located few choices that look promising, any opinion on these? Are any of better quality?
Dormio Organic Bedse
MFC (memory foam comfort)
This one by Natura: http://themattressstore.ca/product.php?id=427
Berkeley Ergonomics line (Malmo/Oslo)

As a side question, what is the best option for the top(est) layer, is quilted wool with cotton the best option?

Thanks in advance.

Hi qazy,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re certainly considering higher-quality componentry that can be durable and breathable.

I don’t keep a record of all the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists that offer specific styles of products across the USA or Canada, as it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market. While not a complete list, some of the better online options, including some members her of the site, I’m aware of that ship mattresses and/or foam layers and components across Canada are also listed in post #21 here. The brands you listed do offer good quality latex products.

There would be no one “best” option. It would come down to your personal preference for the comfort that the covering contributed to the mattress. Many manufacturers of latex mattresses choose to quilt wool to their covering to pass federal flammability regulations, and others do it for the unique feel and temperature “neutral” properties that wool provides. Other manufactures prefer some sort of a stretch-knit that is more flexible and can allow more of the point-elasticity of the latex to show through.

Phoenix

Thank you for the information Phoenix.
If I decide to go with all Latex mattress, what thickness do you recommend? I am looking at 3 layer construction if possible. Is there a big difference between 10" (6,2,2) and 8" (4,2,2) Or two layer (6,2)?
BMI 23 and 25

Do you have an article about how to “test drive” a mattress in the show room, how to measure the PPP?

Hi qazy,

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be, the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be. There is certainly no reason that at your weight you would “need” more thickness than either of the mattresses you are considering but you may still “prefer” a mattress that is thicker or thinner depending on the design.

The main benefit of a thicker latex mattress (or any mattress that uses similar materials) is that it can be more adaptable for heavier weights (not really a concern in your situation) and multiple sleeping positions. It will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body). A thicker mattress can also be part of a specific design that requires it such as some types of zoning or layering that needs more layers to accomplish the design goal of the mattress. It can even just be a matter of preference rather than “need”.

If you can imagine for example a 2" layer of latex (or any foam material) on the floor you would compress it to its maximum and feel much more of the floor (it goes from soft to maximum compressed firmness within the space of a 2" layer) but if you had the same softness of latex in a 6" layer on the floor, it would feel much softer and compress more gradually and to a lesser percentage of its overall thickness and wouldn’t reach the same level of firmness or “bottom out” (which means reaching the maximum level of compression or firmness that a layer or a mattress can effectively achieve).

In the large majority of cases, 8" - 9" of latex is easily enough to include the combination softer layers (or sometimes sections) for pressure relief and firmer layers for support that most people of average or even higher weights would need. In some cases, lighter weights or people that sleep in “flatter” sleeping positions, have slimmer less curvy body types, or who prefer a firmer mattress will do well with even 6" even though there is less “room” to design in different layers in the mattress. People that have much higher body weights or larger body types may choose more than the “average” thickness and may prefer the feel and extra adaptability of say 12" of latex. Thicker mattresses can also use firmer materials because thickness and softness are very related and work together. These are all good questions to ask the manufacturer or retailer of a mattress so they can discuss the differences between the different options they have available in terms that are more specific to the layers they use or options they provide.

Thickness and softness work together and because thicker layers (or mattresses) can have a greater range of compression and are more “adaptable”, it’s also possible to use firmer top layers in a thicker mattress and still have good pressure relief because of the greater range of compression of the thicker mattress which can create a mattress with a firmer “surface feel” but that still provides good pressure relief and adapts well to the body contours.

One other benefit of a thicker mattresses that have multiple layers that can be rearranged or exchanged is that there are more layering combinations possible for changing and fine tuning the performance and feel of the mattress but in many cases this wouldn’t be necessary and in some cases can lead to a level of complexity that can make predicting how the layers interact more difficult (see post #2 here).

So the overall thickness of a mattress that is either “needed” or “preferred” would depend on the combinations of the layers and components that are needed to achieve the design goal of the mattress and provide the PPP that can best match each person and their unique body type, sleeping positions, and preferences.

Everything you need to know about selecting a mattress is contained in the mattress shopping tutorial here.

A five-step guide to picking out a mattress that is also quite useful is located here.

Phoenix

Thanks again for your time.
Now I have to go and start testing to see what is what for my self. Looks like it will be a lengthy process. At least I have narrowed it down to just 6 possible options. :slight_smile:

Hi qazy,

It sounds like you’re off to a good start! I’ll be interested to learn of your progress and of course any specific questions with which I may be of assistance.

Phoenix

Today we went to check few stores and try different mattresses. Ideal Mattress looked as the best value and it’s a local outlet.
The question I have after looking at the options is the base difference between the foam and latex.
Foam used by ideal mattresses is HD - 3 or 4lb (cant remember now :frowning: ) in firm or medium types.
Latex used is Dunlop - different ILD available.
The sales person mentioned that this foam is at least as durable as Latex.
Price difference between the two materials is $500-800 (Latex being more expensive). Organic or not, it’s not something very important to us.
Given all the circumstances I am not sure why would I pick latex base? What are the main differences in this scenario?
Overall thought is 6inch base and 4-5inch latex (in 2 layers) and perhaps another 1inch if needed.

Another quick question, are cotton-silk-cotton mattress protectors any good, given that its just water resistant.

Hi qazy,

A latex support core is more durable, more resilient, more elastic, more adaptable to different weights and shapes and sleeping positions, more supportive (it has a higher compression modulus so it gets firmer faster with compression), more “natural”, and has a different more “springy” and responsive feel than polyfoam. It is a higher performance material. Of course it is also more expensive than a polyfoam core and for some people … a latex hybrid which has the benefits and “feel” of latex in the upper layers (the top 3" - 6" which are the most subject to wear and tear and contribute more to the overall “feel” of a mattress) is worth the cost tradeoff. For others it isn’t.

I doubt the polyfoam core of the mattress you were considering was a 3 or 4 lb base (I know you said it was difficult to remember). A higher quality would generally be 2-2.5 lb.

The idea of configuring an all-latex mattress as you’re describing certainly would create a product that uses high quality and durable materials, and would also be configurable for future adaptations, as long as you’d be able to achieve a comfort that you enjoy.

“Any good” would be subjective, and it would intend upon what you want the product to do. If you want something that is actually waterproof, then a water resistant item wouldn’t meet your needs. There is more information about mattress protectors in post #89 here that you may find useful, as well as this post.

Phoenix

I see. Pretty much Latex is better than foam in every aspect… I am pretty sure I was told that the foam was 3 or 4 lb. I rember that it was quite high number. Definitely more than 2.5. I am questioning the honesty of the place now.

I’ve read the link about the covers before, but I didn’t find info in regards of silk as a material for a cover. Hence the question.

Hi qazy,

Yes 3-4 lb density tends to be for memory foam and not the polyfoam core of a mattress.

Regarding specifically cotton-silk-cotton, there isn’t just one type of this mattress pad or protector, so it would come down to the blend, weave and overall quality of the fibers being used. Silk can be a very durable natural material that can be quite “cool” sleeping, but again that is very subjective and I don’t delve into the specific details of all of the protectors and pads out there, as that would be an entirely new forum, and I already have my hands full with this one!:lol:

There is a thread here that speaks to sheets and within that thread there are quite a few links and I do speak to silk a bit, and you may find the information there interesting. I think you’d want to first decide if your desired some sort of a mattress pad or a true protector (waterproof) and then move onto the materials you find in the items in the specific category you choose.

Phoenix