What do you think of these mattress in a box?

I’m i’m considering buying the Sealy Posturepedic optimum Vivienne chill bed. I’ve gone ahead and asked them for all the specs and I’m currently awaiting their response. But while I wait, I wanted to know what you think about these new mattress in a box.

The first one is called bloom by Sealy.

https://www.sleepcountry.ca/bloomtm-11/

The Second one is the Douglas mattress.

https://www.douglasbed.ca/en/product/douglas-mattress/

Hi Smitten94,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]I wanted to know what you think about these new mattress in a box.
The first one is called bloom by Sealy. The Second one is the Douglas mattress.[/quote]

There is no meaningful information presented by Sealy on the Sleep Country web site about the componentry within their mattress, so unfortunately I can’t provide any meaningful comments about it. Before considering any mattress, make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. If you’re able to obtain that information about the Bloom or the Vivienne, feel free to post it back here and I’ll do my best to comment upon that for you. You can look at post #52 here for some comments about the Douglas mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you for your quick response. I’m still awaiting answers from sleep country but thought perhaps you had just heard of the bloom previously. I will ask for that information as well and get back to you. Thanks again.

Wow. This is all they could give me

Top cover is a cotton poly fabric

Next is 2" outlast gold gel memory foam

Then 2" liquid gel optiscence memory foam

And finally 7" opticore high density base. I asked if it was memory foam or what it is made of and he said all he knows is there is more gel in it as this bed focuses on hot sleepers

They do not know density of anything. I called both sales and customer service and this is all I could get. :frowning:

I didn’t even bother asking about the bloom as he seemed puzzled by my questions.

Would you happen to be able to provide names of any stores you would recomment in Canada. Edmonton Alberta to be more specific?

Sorry for the mass messages but Siri actually got back to me and was able to provide details so here goes.

First (gel memory foam) and second (liquid gel memory foam) layers are are between 3.5 to 4 lbs and ILD of 8 to 13 and both are 2".

Bottom layer is 1.5lbs and ILD of 20-28 at 7".

Cover is 99% poly 1% spandex.

Does this all make sense? Lol

Hi Smitten94,

Thanks for sharing that information. I’m guessing this is the Sealy Vivienne bed?

When provided a “range” of densities, I always consider the lower density to be the one to consider, so based on the link for the durability guidelines here I provided you in my earlier reply, you would see that the memory foam at 3.5 lb and the polyfoam at 1.5 lb are lower densities than what I would recommend unless you were considering this as a “budget choice” mattress and were comfortable with the durability trade-offs that may result.

Just for clarity, I don’t make recommendations for stores unless they are a vetted member here of the site. In Canada, you may wish to consider the site members listed in post #21 here.

Aside from that, and subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply … some options I’m aware of in and around the Edmonton, AB area are listed in post #136 here .

Phoenix

Thank you for all the help. I read everything before messaging and after but it is A LOT of information to digest and bouncing around from page to page I started to get things mixed up. I somehow thought 3.5lbs was good.

I appreciate the quick response and the links included. A couple of good oned right here in the city that appear to have all the specifications you’ve noted.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Hi Smitten94,

Yes, ideally a minimum of 4 lb for the memory foam and 1.8 lb for the polyfoam core would be my recommendations unless in a lower budget range or if durability wasn’t as much of an issue.

I’ll be interested to learn of your shopping experience.

Phoenix