Hi all

On my new full-size mattress the receipt says:

1 Full Pocket Coil 1"- 1845
1 1/4 white panel

I asked for 1" of foam.
What does the number “1845” represent?

Thank you

Hi LookingNow,

That would be 1" of foam that is shorthand for 1.8 lb density, 45 ILD.

Phoenix

Oh. Ok. Thanks.
I was told it was an indication of how firm the pocketed coils are. Mine seem softer than the last bed I had made by the same manufacturer. I can tell they’re not as firm at al.
Last time on the receipt he had written (Firm) next to “Pocketed Coils”. This time it didn’t say that and it took me about 5 days to pay him so I think he forgot and and made it wrong and is now is embarrassed or something.
Trying to find a nice way to tell him, “1845 refers to the foam; to the coils.”
Any ideas? He’s a nice guy and I don’t want to offend him but I do need the right bed for stomach sleeping with my with my sleep apnea.
Thanks!

Hi LookingNow,

The information, as you presented it, appears to refer to a 1" layer of foam, and this is the typical shorthand for foam. I’m doubting you have a 1" base layer of pocketed springs.:slight_smile:

I don’t see why there would be an issue to ask exactly what is in your mattress. I’m assuming you would have had this information before you ordered the item. It appears you have a pocketed coil innerspring unit, on top of which is a 1" layer of foam, then on top of that is a 1.25" quilt panel, if the information you presented is accurate. If you had asked for them to make the exact same mattress as they did before, inquire if there were any changes in foams or the spring unit between then and now.

Phoenix

Thanks.
Yes, what you said is what I received.
I did call and ask about the pocketed coil unit (as that’s all I care about) and was told he still uses the same coils, same company. But I believe I got medium coils this time instead of firm. He says I didn’t but my receipt does not say “(Firm)” next to the pocketed coil description like it did last time.
I’m hoping he will exchange the coil unit. If not I will purchase a new coil unit only.

Hi LookingNow,

Unless you have the two spring units to compare side by side, you’d have to rely upon the information you’re being given by your retailer. “Feeling” support can be difficult, as something as small as a single layer of foam or an insulator pad can make a difference in that perception, so it’s something you’d want to compare with each spring unit alone, sans padding, side by side. Otherwise, I unfortunately can’t offer any further guidance, as I don’t have both spring units available to personally analyze for you.

Good luck!

Phoenix

What I always rely on most is my intuition and experience.
Feeling and laying on the bare coils, I could immediately tell I was given a softer unit than my previous bed.
The manufacturer is going to bring me the Firm coil unit I had asked for.

Hi LookingNow,

[quote]Feeling and laying on the bare coils, I could immediately tell I was given a softer unit than my previous bed.
The manufacturer is going to bring me the Firm coil unit I had asked for.[/quote]
I’m glad you were able to compare both coil units side by side, and that you’re now getting the exact unit you requested.

Great news!

Phoenix