I’m sure this has been asked before but I can’t find it. Sorry if it’s a repost
My goal is a bed with no chemical contamination. Issues that I know of are
- fire retardants
- unnatural materials like plastic, polyester, or chemical treated stuff
- pesticide residue in the bedding
So the goal is pretty simple, it has to be made with cotton, wool, or something of that sort, that is certified organic (zero pesticides) - ideally it would be certified and lab tested to not contain chemicals.
As I understand it, there’s a few good mattresses available that are made with organic cotton and/or wool, surrounding organic natural latex. This is good and seems to be what I’m looking for. From what I’ve read, a mattress with no latex in it will be pretty uncomfortable to sleep on, so there needs to be latex or something like that in there. Can’t just be wool all the way through apparently?
So I have three questions:
- What about latex allergies? I don’t have these allergies personally, but I know people who do, and for me to recommend this to others I’d want to be clear about the allergy issue. I’ve read that for most people, when the latex is surrounded by bedding, it is rare for there to be any allergies. Has that been your experience?
- Is there any natural/organic alternative to latex for the mattress core?
- What mattress made like this do you think is the best one? Do you know of any that get their materials lab tested or certified to genuinely be free of pesticides?
My current top contender is a mattress from Holy Lamb Organics. I want to check that they’re legit and that they are the best available (without being insanely expensive of course). If you think there’s a better one around please let me know.
Thank you for your time!