What is the website or link matching the mattress brand's different models names?

What is the website or link matching the mattress brand’s different models names for the same mattress?

Hi paisley,

There are a few I’ve seen in my travels from time to time and also some articles about how to compare some major brands by coil count or type, comfort layers, or their letter level (in the case of Sealy) and a google search that includes the name of the manufacturer and “model name comparison” would likely find some of them but your question itself indicates that you may already be going in the direction of the major brands who follow these types of deceptive practices and which are among the mattresses I would avoid completely.

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the construction and materials it uses inside it and the major brands won’t disclose this to consumers for the most part . In addition to this if you happen do some exhaustive online research or have some inside information where you can find out some of this information then you will find that in every price range they use lower quality materials and sell for higher prices than most smaller independent manufacturers that are either sold factory direct or through better sleep shops. Anyone who tries to tell you that a mattress has “good quality” that can’t provide the quality specs of the mattress to validate their “story” has no idea of the quality or value of what they are selling and in these cases “quality” or “value” is just a meaningless word.

The first place I would start if you are looking for a new mattress is post #1 here which has all the basic information , steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

Phoenix

Yeah, for sure they are awful companies, i know. I think of them like this, if i were to buy a name brand it would last me 2-3 years max. So i’m just puting absolutely everything into my comparison chart of what my options are. i have every option on the table, and doing a cost per night breakdown if x y z. etc, etc, etc. in order to figure out if i can afford to buy a mattress right now and which one, so i’m just looking at all my options whether they last 1 year or 25. : ). I think those brands are downright evil to sell someone a 2k bed that lasts 3 years or less. But they go in my chart anyway so they can be eliminated based on cost/value. Needless to say their price per night based on longevity is not good. lol. But i still need to calculate them on my chart cuz that’s how i choose things, i’'m just like that so i’m even putting short life beds on there. Even the 4 big S beds (well, 1 was a K) i did like, although i didn’t get a chance to really read reviews, i briefly did and as suspected, breakdown begins very early. I find myself wondering why they don’t just make pillowtops they zip off? i mean, of course it means people wouldn’t re-purchase the bed so the mani won’t be able to make more money, but if someone buys a 2k-3k matty and has to replace it after 3 years they surely aren’t going back to that manufacteurer. So that is one thing that baffles me.

And while we’re on the subject of coil beds, is there a list of the indie coil bed makers? and what are some coil bed makers with good value? do any coil beds last? Even if they last just 3 years? i know it’s about what they put at the top, so i’m trying to find coil beds that put good stuff at the top and i know the big names do not. One of the things i want to do is get a sense of the type of coil beds i like, which is why i went to sleepies, there was a bed i actually really liked, but i do know not to get it, b/c in 6m-2 years it will be for naught, which makes it not an option. But i am figuring out what type of coil bed i like in addition to everything else. (and so far it looks like i like big 'ol tufted ones. (although i’m not quite yet ready to look at coils dedicatedly because i’m still looking into latex and have 2 more stores to visit).

(and you know my personal situation is, i prolly can’t even AFFORD a long-term matty right now, and might only be able to adjust this one i have, but i still am shopping for one just in case, and b/c i have other things to figure out as they related to the matty i’m about to adjust or get rid of). My options might come down to buying a short term mattress, something 1 year, or 2 years since i don’t have the money to buy a 10/20 year matty at the moment. and so far the 2 lower cost/night (that are upfront affordable right now) are a very inexpensive latex for 2 years (i’m sure they would last longer but in 2 years i want to put money down for a bed that feels the greatest, not just feels like what i could afford at the time), or a sub $1,000/3 year coil. (although i don’t have any spec. coil). Just getting a topper has the lowest value/cost effectiveness if i can’t incorporate it later.

Hi paisley,

As I mentioned in my last reply … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it. I personally wouldn’t be spending time including the major brands in my testing or in a comparison chart when they use lower quality materials in every budget range than so many alternatives you have. If you know going in that they are more costly and lower quality (won’t last as long as higher quality mattresses) … why include them for consideration at all no matter what method of comparison you are using.

There is really no way to calculate the “value” of a mattress unless you know what is inside it. There is also no way to make a meaningful assessment of its durability (you can see some of the factors involved in the durability of a mattress in post #4 here. IMO … your whole basic premises may need to be re-evaluated.

You would be surprised how many consumer do exactly that. In 2 or 3 years there is a new “story” to listen to and they will be sold just as easily as they were the first time thinking that “this time it will be better”. Either that or they will switch from one major brand to another who does the same thing and have the same issues all over again (low quality materials) with a different name on their mattress.

You can read my thoughts about reviews in post #13 here. Reading reviews can be a pathway to some very poor decisions and they are certainly not what I would call legitimate mattress research. the large majority of people who post a review don’t really have any idea of what is in the mattress they are reviewing.

Innersprings are a support component and as you are mentioning the weak link of almost all mattresses are in the upper layers not the innerspring itself. Just like with mattresses … I would evaluate an innerspring by how well it works in a specific design and by the specifics of the innerspring itself … not by brand … because innersprings are not the weak link of most mattresses. You can read more about innersprings in this article and in post #10 here and in post #2 here. None of the innerspring manufacturers sell directly to consumers but you can see a list of some of them here.

Hopefully this and the information in the “read first” post should can help you “reset” your research methods and give you the information you would need to make more meaningful comparisons and to follow the steps that can lead to your best possible choices in terms of quality, value, and suitability for your own personal needs and preferences.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=18342]Hi paisley,

As I mentioned in my last reply … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it. I personally wouldn’t be spending time including the major brands in my testing or in a comparison chart when they use lower quality materials in every budget range than so many alternatives you have. If you know going in that they are more costly and lower quality (won’t last as long as higher quality mattresses) … why include them for consideration at all no matter what method of comparison you are using.[/quote]

My calculus is to first find an acceptable solution and what i should generally be looking for in terms and value over that period of time, then find something that fits. I’m also in some cases not looking necessarily FOR the best longevity in all cases, but rather a function of what can i afford now that i will be happy with until i can afford a better bed.

as for what’s in it, so like i know a BB bed will last at least 4 years, i know i don’t want the basic model for longer than that, so that’s where the BB bed goes in the equation, 4 years, how much would it cost me over 4 years… that type of thing. I also put the S brand beds at 2-3 years, which automatically knocks them out. The rest of my equation is based on cost over a specific period of time based on how long i can live with each choice (topper, good bed, okay bed, etc) until my finances are back on track, and then i will find a bed to match the price and years. For me it’s like, what can i spend and how long does it have to last to be a value for that time, because of the fact that right my funds are temporarily distrubed b/c i lost my job.

it goes something like this:

and for example, in my chart i have “just a topper”, it’s not particularly an experience i want, so i’ve put that for 1 year. Of course it will last longer, but it’s how long i want to keep it. That is relatively expensive at $1 a night, and does not offer me much “happiness”, lol. So i’ve put what things will cost per night, and trying to find the minimum happiness level, maximum value during that period of time. a cheap topper makes the price/time cutoff but fails in the relative happiness level.

then for my $800 range i put in for 4 years because i bet i can find an $800 matty that will last 4 years and before 5 years from now i’d really like to have an ultimate bed…plus that price still has one of the lower costs/time (lands at 55 cents a night) and will find a bed i like for that much and ask around to see if it will last 4 years. The latex coil bed i just posted for example at 835… Now of course, i don’t know if i want that one, but finding the ideal time/cost/happiness/contentment level will then determine what i search for., otherwise i’m all over the place. So you’ve seen where i bolded, those are the option for which i should look. I can prolly get to $700 ($800 if i sell some things i have in the house), but i don’t need it to last for 10 years, only 3 years, or 4, then it fits in the lower price range per night. That particular price point and cost/over time i believe i can find a bed that will give me a happiness level of 5, so that is better than the topper option.

[quote]
Innersprings are a support component and as you are mentioning the weak link of almost all mattresses are in the upper layers not the innerspring itself. Just like with mattresses … I would evaluate an innerspring by how well it works in a specific design and by the specifics of the innerspring itself … not by brand … because innersprings are not the weak link of most mattresses. You can read more about innersprings in this article and in post #10 here and in post #2 here. None of the innerspring manufacturers sell directly to consumers but you can see a list of some of them here.

Hopefully this and the information in the “read first” post should can help you “reset” your research methods and give you the information you would need to make more meaningful comparisons and to follow the steps that can lead to your best possible choices in terms of quality, value, and suitability for your own personal needs and preferences.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant what other places like OMF (mostly i’ve been looking through the latex sites, so now i want to look also at sites that have many offerings in other types of beds) that frequently have good values. then i can look for $500-$700 beds there that interest me and then i can investigate those beds. So i went to OMF site and am now looking into the Regency. I haven’t done a ton of research on it yet because i was still evaluating what price point makes sense for me to buy right now.

i’m not very good at the quote thing, so it prolly looks jumbled. i’ll correct after i post. : ) And i have no idea why that pic came out so small. lol. but basically it’s years on the top, and price per night based on finding a bed that will last those amount of years. and then to the right are levels of how happy it will make me, and so if something costs 55 cents a night and gives me a happiness level of at least 5, and a enjoy my experience in bed of at least 5 (1 being “at least it’s better than this” and 10 being “oh YES!”) then it does better than most of the other options. So then i’ll aim for that combo of years and cost. The bolded made the cost/value cut, then there are same that made the more optimal way to go cut.

i’m sure there was a way to make that about 5 sentences long, lol, but i struggle with that. I’m basically trying to find 'what i should look for", and then i will search for what i’m looking for. And now i have a few directions i can go in, and can seek through those options, hopefully ending up with 1 that satisfies the equation. I think it can be done.

Paralysis through analysis? :stuck_out_tongue: Actually, I see one aspect to your chart that you might rethink. If you get a latex topper that works for you, you might be happy with it for longer than you think. If so, your cost per night will change and you can save more money…Lew

yes, for sure re: $/long run/topper. i’m was just being pessimistic. :D. I don’t really want to save money on it over time though, just make sure it’s under a certain amount. But I just found a sleepy’s 16 mins walk from me, so the pup (he had a chart too before i got him, lol) and i are going to take a walk and try out the latex topper again.

So i went to sleepys (fairly optimistically i might add) and put a pure bliss 2" topper (this post leads me to believe it might be a 14ILD? could be reading it wrong) over the “hardest mattress in the store”, which was pretty much identical in firmness/hardness as the mattress i have now, and it was “ok”, basically soft over hard, very easy to feel that even after 60 seconds, 3" will be better, but it’ll be 3" of soft over very hard. Makes me sad. so my options are now: at least i’ll be sleeping without limbs falling asleep for a year and can dream of the day i can have a decent mattress (happiness level 2/10), or searching for a decent mattress under $800 that will last 3-4 years, happiness level maybe 4/10 or so, but may not even find one so maybe not even an option there… Dunno. no perfect choices due to my financial circumstances but that’s life. The cover and that topper was fabulous though, hot damn.

Any recs for places to look for mattresses for $800 that will last 3-4 years? (off to look at toppers online in case that isn’t an option).

Hi paisley,

There are much better “value” sources for a topper that use the same material (talalay) as the PLB topper but can be purchased in a range of firmness levels including slightly firmer (although still soft) that are in post #4 here.

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any options or possibilities in your area I’m aware of.

My previous replies include links to some of the members here who sell online and have some mattresses in your price range that would almost certainly last you as long or much longer than your 3 - 4 year criteria.

Phoenix

Sorry to bother you, i am perhaps a bit of a bimbo at the moment. I see the members who do latex, which i am looking into SleepEZ, BB, Mattresses.net. (i also would get my topper from one of them if i do topper. I’ve pretty much narrowed that down to the latter 2, even chatted on BB’s site as to which topper i should get. He says 6 or 7). and i’m still scouring the city for the feel of latex to see if a sub $800 latex bed would work for me, still eye-ing that Ultimate Dream Eurotop (i am going to a store on 72nd street soon, and one in SOHO tmrw)

but can’t find the sites that do a number of coil-types. I know OMF (currently eyeing the Regency). Forgive me. please. I did look back but i’m just feeling a little defeated and braindead so i can’t find them. I do remember seeing something but just don’t see it now.

And my zip is 10001 if you know of any value brand coil-type bed sellers in the area.

Hi paisley

Perhaps I’m the one that didn’t read carefully because I didn’t realize that you were only looking at innerspring mattresses.

This would be much more difficult to find online in your price range (outside of mainstream brands) although there is a very low cost innerspring mattress sold by Dreamfoam here that may be worth asking them about .

My Green Mattress also sells an innerspring / wool mattress here that has no foam at all and can be ordered either one or two sided that is very good quality/value…

Some of the better options in the New York area are listed in post #2 here and there is a more categorized listing with more detailed descriptions of many of them in post #7 here but you would need to check the websites and do some phone research to make sure any of these had a mattress that fit your criteria.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=18392]Hi paisley

Perhaps I’m the one that didn’t read carefully because I didn’t realize that you were only looking at innerspring mattresses.

This would be much more difficult to find online in your price range (outside of mainstream brands) although there is a very low cost innerspring mattress sold by Dreamfoam here that may be worth asking them about .

My Green Mattress also sells an [url={admin note: discontinued product}] that has no foam at all and can be ordered either one or two sided that is very good quality/value…

Some of the better options in the New York area are listed in post #2 here and there is a more categorized listing with more detailed descriptions of many of them in post #7 here but you would need to check the websites and do some phone research to make sure any of these had a mattress that fit your criteria.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thank you so much. Still looking at latex but also looking at coil, whatever the most pleasant thing i can find for under $800, as long as it is more pleasant than a topper over this torture device i am lying on. I will definitely look into those. Thanks! Night all.