What kind of king size mattress would fit up narrow stairs?

A interior designer told me about her mattress that sprang to life after the plastic came off (she says it will never leave now). I’ve heard of some memory foam mattresses that come in a box and literally pop open. I can split the box spring or whatever but I really do not want a split king mattress. Are there others that come compressed like this? We have a narrow stairway in our house and then the mattress has to turn a corner in a short hallway (1939 house in Washington, DC). We are putting on an addition with a new master suite and room for a king size bed. My 6 foot husband tends to take over our queen size bed in his sleep so I’m really looking forward to this.

Hi JFKinDC,

Yes there would be many. Almost any mattress that was made completely from foam (either memory foam, polyfoam, or latex foam) and many pocket coil mattresses can be shipped compressed and rolled. Most online manufacturers do this so that their mattresses can be shipped by courier instead of truck freight which is much less costly.

All of these are also flexible and would bend around corners without any difficulty even when they are fully expanded.

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Washington, DC area are listed in post #2 here and the tutorial post includes several links to many of the better online options I’m aware of and include many “foam” mattresses that ship compressed.

Phoenix