What’s a Well-Made Firm Innerspring You Love?

I need to get a firm king-sized mattress. I like my 10-year old Sherwood firm queen. I think it’s a Lumina. But I can’t get Sherwood mattresses (besides a softer twin) in Albuquerque right now. Also can’t seem to find any company that will ship Sherwood, although the Sherwood website has been saying for over a year that direct-to-consumer will be available soon. I’m also a little worried that Sherwood quality will be dropping now that they’ve been purchased by Tempur Sealy. So, I’m hoping the firm mattress contingent of the Mattress Underground can suggest some brands and models that are nice, simple, true firm mattresses. I definitely want innerspring/coil of some sort, not foam, and I’d prefer one that does not have cooling gels and chemicals, although it doesn’t have to be full-on organic. I’d like to stay under $2200. If anyone has experience with the Saatva firm (not lux firm), I’d love to hear your description of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I’m in the process of returning a Saatva firm, and looking for something else. We first tried a luxury firm, but it was too soft. We then tried the firm, and it was actually even softer, with very little edge support. I suspected the second one was used. (It reminded me of an old mattress, where the edge support was already shot.) Also, Saatva claims to donate the ones that don’t work out, or to let the consumer donate them, but they are harassing me about the pickup, though the carrier they use is rarely available. A big hassle.

1 Like

Wow, Cohn, thank you so much for this report. There’s so much good press for Saatva but a lot of it smells like good PR company work. Hard to find reviews with details from real people. Could you please share what other firm mattresses you’re considering? Do you know anything about the Doctor’s Choice Firm from Denver Mattress? Thank you again!

Hi Nii.

You may find the options at My Green Mattress and Quality Sleep Shop interesting, as well as the Finch from Nest Bedding (it’s a pillow top but it does come in firm).

You might be interested in reading our recommended Durability Guidelines as well just for the sake of knowing what we’d consider to be a well composed and durable bed. As for feel, we won’t be able to tell you which bed is MOST firm, etc because the feel of a mattress is relative. What’s firm for me may be medium for you, etc.

NikkiTMU

1 Like

Aireloom Preferred M1 Luxetop Firm and Aireloom Streamline Luxury Firm.

John

1 Like

Hey John

Just asked in separate post about Aireloom before seeing your reply here. Have you used either/both of these Airelooms and if so anything I should know or relevant info about the comparison between the two? (Or any actual latex / foam specs if you happened to have found them somewhere)

Am currently considering the Preferred M1 Luxetop and Streamline in either Firm or Luxury Firm. I am leaning toward Firm because I am 30 / 6’4" / 240lbs with occasional lower back pain, but I also some mattresses in the more “luxury” or medium firm range have worked well for my partner and I in the past, depending on the manufacturer. If the mattress actually still provides enough support for adequate spinal alignment, our personal preference is still toward more of a luxe/euro/pillow top “hotel” feel.

Would love to know your thoughts and what your experience has been like with the brand / those models. Thanks!

1 Like

Tim,

I have not purchased an Aireloom M1 Luxetop Firm yet. I tried it in stores. Streamline Luxury Firm is awesome too. I think both qualify as “hotel beds” (85% of people will like it). Id classify them as “way better than hotel beds”.

There is M1 and M2 in firm and Plush. So, a total of 4 mattresses. Id caution against falling in love too quickly with the comfort of an M2 Plush. That comfort layer can “hammock” easily(my theory). Im 5ft 11in 230 pounds. We almost have same specs. I think M1 Luxetop Firm is perfect for both of us.

M1 is 1 layer of microcoils. M2 has 2 layers. Is more better? Not always

M1 and M2 has a latex layer and microcoils. Streamline Luxury Firm and Firm have no microcoils and visco elastic foam. There is a Streamline M1 plush but I never tried it. For me, M1 has a strong firn 13.75 support coil plus conforming latex. I felt M1 Luxetop Firm was better than $35k VISpring. But thats my opinion.

M1 Luxetop Firm > Streamline Luxury Firm, but I could easily see why you might like SLF better. LF comfort layer won me over.

Dont buy an Aireloom from Macys because it is of lower quality compared to Aireloom not sold at Macys. Lower coil counts and cheaper materials.

Since we are somewhat similar, Im looking at (SitNSleep) King Koil Pure Bliss Brook Firm 11 inch talalay latex, FloBeds Vzone (adjustable talalay), and Tempurpedic Luxe Adapt Firm. Go check out King Koil at SitNSleep. Incredible, but at $5500 for Cal King….quite pricy. KK latex had an incredible bouncy and supple feel. Sitting on the side it felt too soft, but when you lay on it….you feel suspended by softness and support. Incredible!!!

I love M1 Firm, but I love foam more. I loved the latex in the M1. My wife and I love foam.

Hope this helps!
John

1 Like

Hi Nii,

Looks like you’ve done your research so far.

A well-made firm innerspring mattress with natural materials can be a good choice for those who prefer a firmer sleep surface and want a more comfortable and durable mattress.

If you’re not a fan of cooling gel then natural materials, such as wool, can be more breathable and comfortable than synthetic materials. They can help to regulate your body temperature and wick away moisture, which can make for a more comfortable sleep environment.

I do agree that some brands change the build over the years as the cost of material has gone up to this new shrink-flation standards. So it’s not always the brand tag to look for but how its built for the material and weight to compare.

I’m biased for the family business that I work for. But I’d recommend checking out our GhostBed Natural mattress as it has a firm innerspring build like our GhostBed Flex but natural material used. Which our company was whole selling natural beds before it was ever a popular trend as it is now adays.

Brian at GhostBed

1 Like

Thanks, Brian. Do any of the GhostBeds with innersprings have a firm overall comfort level? They all seem rated as medium. I really need a truly firm bed.

Hi Nii,

I understand. In our collection the ones that are on the firmest side would be in memory foam only. Which would be our GhostBed classic to our new Venus Williams Legend memory foam… both coming in at around 6.5 out of 10 for firmness.

Sweet Dreams,

Brian at GhostBed

1 Like