What to buy hybrid sealy or latex

I’ve read so much and am pretty much overwhelmed by all the informtion, companies and factors that enter into how to get a good nights sleep. I am a small person barely over 100 lbs but like a cool nights sleep. I know sheets, room temp, pad etc all play into the temp factor. It sounds like latex is cooler but then it’s still foam. I did find and yes its a Sealy that has memory foam top and substantial coils. it has the certipure certification so no worries about off gassing. help me…what to buy???

Hey pccoach:

I’ll do my best to provide a bit of extra guidance.

People often become overwhelmed reading through the wealth of good information on this site, as well as being confused by so much of the other nonsense that is out there online. Don’t attempt to become an expert about mattresses, sleep and ergonomics. Instead, focus on learning just enough to know if you’re looking at better materials and also to tell if any salespeople you’re dealing with are educated. Focus upon the “cliff notes” version of the mattress shopping tutorial here on the website.

Yes, I would argue that these are much more influential in keeping a cooler sleeping environment. Phase change materials and minerals imbedded in foams and covers are limited to what they can do to help regulate temperature via latent heat and heat transfer. Air flow would be most important imperative for both temperature and humidity regulation.

Latex, specifically Talalay, tends to flow air quite well in its expanded state. But overall air flow would be a combination of all of the materials within the mattress. An innerspring mattress will tend to flow more air than a mattress using a foam core.

As is mentioned on this website, learn about the quality of the materials (primarily the density of the foams) before making a purchase decision. I don’t have 2021 spec on the foam densities of the Sealy line, but my 2019 chart shows polyfoam typically in the low one-pound range, and most memory foam in the 2.5# range, both of which are lower than what I like to recommend. Their specs may have changed a bit since then, but I’d be surprised if the densities had gone up much.

CeriPUR-US certification is pretty common for polyfoams domestically, and means that the foam has been low VOC certified, made without formaldehyde, make without ozone depleters, made without PBDEs, and made without heavy metals. Latex generally would be able to pass more stringent certifications for VOCs and harmful substances, such as Oeko-TEX 100.

I’m sorry, but on an online forum there is no way I could provide an accurate and intelligent analysis of what product might best suit your sleeping style, somatotype, and particular needs. Based upon your previous comments, I’d suggest finding a retailer who is more educated and offers higher-quality products - someone who has your best interests at hearts versus being a salesperson. If you’re near a major metropolitan area, you can do a search here on the forum for that town and a listing of some of the better retailers of which Phoenix is aware might appear. Granted, these lists are not complete nor are they updated any longer, but they could be a good starting point. If you’re considering something online, many of the business members here on the site could be assistive with helping you choose a product in their particular lines that might best suit your needs.

Good luck!