Whats your say on Southerland

Hi a35patel,

Unfortunately these specs are still not specific enough and with a foundation included in the price I don’t kow the cost for just the mattress. You need the layer by layer description including the thickness of each layer and the specific density (not a range like 1.5 - 1.8 … its either one or the other). This is the only way to identify any weak links in a mattress and there can be a significant difference between 1.5 and 1.8 lb polyfoam. When you are dealing with Southerland or the retailers that carry then it may be difficult to get the all the information you need but they will generally not be in the “best value” range.

The specs of a mattress are used more to make meaningful value comparisons between mattresses because there are just too many variables in design, thickness, and materials to put a formula together that a specific price mattress should have certain types of materials but a very general guideline is here (and I wouldn’t take this literally). You also want to know the layer thicknesses to help identify any potential weak links in a mattress because even if a mattress has “mostly” good materials a few inches of lower quality materials in a comfort layer can lead to durability and softening issues.

Warranties are not a good indicator of how long a mattress will last for any particular person. Long before a foam has permanent impressions that are more than the warranty exclusion you will have foam softening and the loss or comfort or support which is the most common reason people need to replace a mattress and this is not covered by any warranty. You can read more about warranties in post #174 here.

I don’t have enough information to really know but my overall impression is that they don’t sound like they are in the “best value” range to me and I probably wouldn’t buy them no. There is no way to predict how long a mattress will last for any particular person but if these contained significant layers of lower density polyfoam (1.5 lbs and lower) then I would be very cautious … particularly if it isn’t coming from a smaller local manufacturer.

Phoenix