Where can I test out a full latex mattress (with layers) in MN?

Hi Phoenix,

LOVE this site. Best. Thing. Ever. Seriously. I’ve read a lot of the articles, blogs, discussions, etc. and am very interested in going from a coil mattress (that was given to us 5 years ago, we didn’t choose it) to a full latex mattress. Every time I think I have something narrowed down though, I read something else though that makes me re-think it! Perhaps if I give you our profile you can help me navigate better.

Husband: 6’1 200 lbs. sleeps on side mostly with occasional stomach. Tosses and turns a LOT and always wakes me up :frowning: Has not had a good nights rest in a LONG time (which is why we are searching for a new mattress)

Me: 5’3 110 lbs. but am currently pregnant (and plan to have more children) so can weigh up to 150 lbs. I sleep on my side mostly and stomach at times (when not pregnant) to relieve sore shoulder from sleeping on side but flip to my back at times to relieve my back.

We like the feel of the memory foam mattresses we’ve laid on a lot as that’s what’s in most of the stores that are near us. My husband is a very hot sleeper though. Like his body literally feels like a heating pad. I’m usually cold but just layer up the blankets so he can have the room temp cooler. (I’ve learned! Warmer room = more snoring!). After reading the discussions and article about even the cooling gels in the memory foams, I’m not convinced he will be comfortable all night with them. Which is why I liked the laytex route.

What I can’t figure out is:

1. Where can we go near Mankato, MN to test out a full laytex bed (like SleepEZ and mattresses.net sell)?
  2. Do my husband and I have different sleep profiles that would make it more beneficial for us to go with something like SleepEZ sells where we can customize each side?
  3. If 2 is yes, how the heck do we figure out what soft/medium/firm layers would be best for each of us?
  4. I love a plusher feel. He likes it a little firmer (he’s heavier so that probably makes sense). Even if we customize our sides, how much will the mattress covering and then pad/protector affect that plush feeling?
  5. What are your thoughts on adjustable bases? Worth the whopping price tag? I had terrible acid reflux in my last pregnancy and had to sleep elevated for 4 months. Am I better off with a regular base and just get a wedge pillow or prop myself up like last time or to invest in an adjustable base (though my husband will then be sleeping elevated as well…)??
  6. I think I like the talalay vs. dunlop latex but even after reading all the articles you have on the differences, I still can’t determine if one is better than the other. For our profile/situation, do you recommend one over the other?

Any recommendations you can provide would be so greatly appreciated!! You are a WONDERFUL wealth of knowledge! Thank you!

Hi jm20w,

Post #9 here has the better options and possibilities in the Mankato area that I’m aware of and there are more options in the Minneapolis area in post #2 here as well (including the 4 in the Mankato list). There are some that carry latex mattresses that are close to you in Mankato but the closest that are component latex mattress that I know of would be in the Minneapolis area.

It’s certainly possible that you could benefit from a side to side split but there are also other options and designs that may be suitable for both of you as well depending on the design of the mattress (see the first part of post #2 here). Your testing will tell you more about whether a particular mattress works well for either one or both of you than “theory at a distance”. A body pillow or a pregnancy pillow may also be worth considering while you are pregnant and can give you some of the “feel” of stomach sleeping.

Either personal testing or a more detailed conversation with an online retailer or manufacturer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

This will depend on the specifics of the cover and on how it interacts with the other layers in the mattress. Again … your own personal testing and/or more detailed conversations with an online retailer or manufacturer can be more specific to a mattress you are considering because they can all use different covers. There is more about the effects of a quilted cover with latex in post #12 here.

You can see my thoughts about adjustable beds in post #3 here which also links to the adjustable bed thread which has more information and includes some better sources that you can use as a “value reference”. They can certainly help with acid reflux (if you sleep on your back) but deciding whether it’s worth it or not or is something you would prefer over a wedge pillow or propping yourself up can only be answered by each person. I know we like ours and it was certainly “worth it” for us even though it’s not something we “need” or even use as much as some other people probably would.

I would treat the choice between Talalay and Dunlop as strictly a preference choice not as a “better / worse” choice. There is more about the difference in how they “feel” in post #7 here (which you may have already read) but your own testing or experience is really the only way to know which one you would prefer.

Phoenix

Wow you’re fast! Thank you! Checked out the Mankato store you had listed over lunch - Bedpost Furniture. The owner, Mark was very knowledgeable and I used the “Interview” article you posted to kind of test him. He made it very clear he cared about fitting us to the right mattress, not making money because having happy customers was the most important (and in the end it costs more money having to take back mattresses and replace them, though he they certainly do it if someone is unhappy). He also gave us the WHOLE back story on latex and why it stopped being used (the war) and we had to come up with synthetic materials which are now more popular but it is still very high quality and durable etc. etc. etc. I was actually impressed with how much he knew. I was not however, impressed with their prices!!

They had a handful of partial latex mattresses there. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the following brands/beds:

Therapedic PureTouch Splendor. (King) The Therapedic website seems to have a “newer” version of this bed, the Splendor II and the specs are slightly different. I’ll try to remember them as best I can:

Natural Babmoo stretch knit fabric cover
1.5" high density convoluted foam (not sure what convoluted means??)
1" enhanced plush foam
4" Talalay latex (soft I think)
7" Talalay latex core (firm)

I think I remember reading that we shouldn’t go with something that has more than 1" poly foam above the latex though…so would this be a bad option? The bed was soft and comfortable and definitely felt good, though we didn’t spend much time on it as we were at lunch so we would need to go back to test longer.

The other option was
Symbol Contour Classic Kensington (King) The Symbol website gave me no spec details that I could find other than premium 1.8 lb density foam, plush latex foam and support foam…but I did find this info on a retailer website:

Quilt - First Layer: FR Fiber Barrer
Quilt - Second Layer: 1" HyperSoftFoam
Quilt - Third Layer: 1" HyperSoft Foam
Upholstery - First Layer: 1" Plush Latex Foam
Upholstery - Second Layer: 1" Plush Latex Foam
Mattress Core: 6" Premium 1.8-lb. density Foam
Mattress Bottom: 2" Support Foam
The perfect balance of comfort and support
Conforms naturally for superior support and pressure relief
Molds to your body to relieve pressure points reducing tossing and turning
Enhances support for your back and increases the life of your mattress
Provides initial surface comfort
Increases overall comfort
Maintenance free
Maximum surface comfort

This bed was a lot more plush than the Therapedic and we sunk in more. It was seriously like a pillow wrapping around you. I love that feeling but I wonder if I love it for the wrong reasons and it’s not actually better for spine alignment/pressure points but it just feels good when you first lie down…I also wonder if it’s too plush for my husband? He agreed that it was nice and soft but was unsure if that would = problems 4-5 hours into sleep…also, I can’t tell from all the quilting if there is too much padding above the latex layer for it to be durable…? Thoughts?

Unfortunately those were the only two non-coil options they had there with latex. Mark did have us try out a couple of the iComforts by Serta but after laying on the previous two, I felt like they were too hard…I mean eventually I did sink in a bit but I think I don’t weigh enough to push into the bed much so it didn’t feel all that comfortable. I’m glad he had us on them to compare and to be honest prior to this trip and feeling those other two beds, we were set on getting a memory foam mattress…

The prices they had seemed REALLY high…both were around $2,400 for a king set. Based on the sites and articles I’ve read on here, we should be able to get what we want for under $2,000 and probably closer to $1500. Thoughts?

What I really want to guard against is the breakdown of materials after time. Especially after a short amount of time. That is why I would rather spend more money on better materials. I think your article about being able to get a good quality mattress for the $1200-$1500 range that will last more than a couple of years is what my goal is.

Oh I forgot another one they had us lie on - it was a Symbol Dorchester Pillow Top with Coil
This one was insanely plush. These are the specs:

Quilt - First Layer: FR Fiber Barrier
Quilt - Second Layer: 1" HyperSoft Foam
Quilt - Third Layer: 1" HyperSoft Foam
Mattress (Top Side) - First Layer: 1" Plush 5-Zone Convoluted Latex Foam
Mattress (Top Side) - Second Layer: 1" SuperSoft Foam
Mattress (Top Side) - Third Layer: 1" SuperSoft Foam (on the pillow top deck)
Mattress (Core): High Profile (8") Individually Enclosed Coil Support System with 4" Foam Encased Perimeter Support
Mattress (Bottom Side): 2" Support Foam

I think this one was almost too soft for us. And I think based on your advice that it is a higher risk of breaking down a lot sooner. But it did give us an opportunity to “test” what a laytex top layer would feel like…kind of…I think because everything underneath was SO soft, perhaps it wasn’t really a realistic picture of a non-coil, full laytex mattress.

We will try to head up to the Cities this weekend to test out some more at the places your articles mentioned. It all depends on the weather. Even more reason to replace our mattress. I seriously hibernate in the winter here. :slight_smile: Last week we hit -45 with the wind chill. Yes, you read that right. NEGATIVE 45 degrees! Seriously ridiculous.

Had some friends have a bad experience with Mankato Mattress Man and after returning/exchanging 2 mattresses are stuck and still not happy. Perhaps I’ll give them a chance still but I will check out Ashley too (Furniture Mart chain) in Mankato as well and perhaps call on some of the others that are an hour away just to see what they have in stock in laytex for us to try out.

As I was browsing Symbol’s website I notice they have something called the Comfort 4U line…is this like a sleepnumber bed? If so, do you have any reviews/research about it? We’ve done the whole Sleepnumber trial thing and fell in love with a bed but cannot in any way shape or form justify spending THAT much money on a bed. Is the Comfort 4U a less expensive but not cheaper alternative?

Thanks again! You are seriously a Godsend!

Hi jm20w,

Some people prefer a quilting layer (usually either natural or synthetic fibers or polyfoam) above the latex layers (see post #12 here) but this has 2.5" of polyfoam above the latex which as you remember reading is more than I would normally like to see. I normally use a guideline of no more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density foams or materials in the top layers of a mattress so this is more than the guideline. Once you are at about 2" or more then it can become the “weak link” of a mattress so I would want to know the density of the polyfoam layers in the top 2.5" to make sure that they are durable materials (I would use 1.8 lb polyfoam as the minimum density for layers that are 2" or more and higher density yet may be a good idea for higher weights). The other latex layers are all Talalay latex (probably blended Talalay) which is a high quality material. Some of the Therapedic licensees use thicker layers of polyfoam above the latex in their mattresses and others don’t. This would be a “mostly latex” mattress.

Convoluted means that the foam is modified like an egg crate (see here). There is more about the effects of convoluted foam in post #2 here. In general it would be less durable than a solid layer but would also have a softer “feel” than the same type and firmness of foam that wasn’t convoluted.

The first step here would be to make sure that the top 2" were also 1.8 lb polyfoam or better. If it is then the 2" of 1.8 lb density polyfoam would be at the bottom of what I would consider to be good quality polyfoam in a one sided mattress (unless someone is heavier in which case I would use about 2.0 lbs as the minimum guideline) so for “average weights” (and assuming again that the top 2" is 1.8 lb density) this mattress wouldn’t have any obvious weak links although it uses only fairly thin layers of latex (and they don’t mention the type or blend of the latex which I would also want to know) so it should be in a lower price range than a mattress that uses more latex. This would be a “latex hybrid” mattress (that only uses latex in the comfort layers).

You can read a little more about the difference between an “all latex” mattress and a latex hybrid mattress in post #2 here.

I would make sure that you do some careful and objective testing to make sure that any mattress you are considering is a good match for you in terms of PPP. The suitability of a mattress for your body type or sleeping style is not something I can know based on “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). As you will read in the tutorial post and the other posts it links to … the showroom feel of a mattress is among the worst ways to choose a mattress. Comfort/pressure relief is what you feel when you first lie on a mattress, Support/alignment is what you feel when you wake up in the morning (with or without back pain or discomfort), and the durability of the materials … especially in the top layers … is what you will feel down the road when lower quality materials soften or break down faster than they should which can result in the premature loss of comfort and/or support in a mattress. You would need to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you with all three.

I would certainly be very careful about choosing a mattress that is too soft because of the risk that you will be sleeping out of alignment. You can make a mattress that is too firm softer with a topper but you can’t make a mattress that is too soft (with either comfort layers that are too thick/soft or support layers that are too soft) without removing and replacing foam layers or replacing the complete mattress.

My previous comments would apply here as well and I would definitely want to make sure that you know the density of all the layers in the mattress. Even though they don’t provide any comfort specs (which are often proprietary and not necessary to know) … this mattress certainly looks like it would be very soft.

This mattress also has a pocket coil system for the support core so it wouldn’t “feel” the same as a full latex mattress and with 2" of soft polyfoam above only an inch of latex the comfort layers would have more of the “feel” of polyfoam than of latex.

Ouch … it’s one of the few times that those of us in the Pacific Northwest were smiling about how good we have it instead of complaining about the rain :slight_smile:

I’m not sure of the reasons for the exchanges but if they were for comfort reasons then being allowed to exchange more than once would be quite generous (most stores won’t allow more than one). Of course if it was a warranty exchange then this would be something different. It’s always better to test a mattress as if you only have one chance to make the right choice and to test very carefully for PPP and make sure you know the quality of the materials and this will greatly increase the odds that you won’t have to make an exchange. Of course nothing is perfect and mistakes are always possible in which case any return or exchange policy may be worth the extra cost it adds to the cost of a mattress (the people who don’t exchange a mattress pay for the ones that do) and this would be part of your personal value equation.

Yes it’s an airbed. You can see my thoughts about airbeds in this article and in general I would suggest avoiding them.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

We’re heading to Ashley and the Mankato Mattress Man shortly. I called both and Ashley has some latex hybrids and Justin at MMM said he has both. Hopefully this will give us a better idea of what we like from a comfort standpoint. I looked up our current mattress. Its a Restonic Sup R Posture Cloud and the specs are as follows:

51% Olefin, 49% Polyester Durable Damask Cover
1" Soft Foam plus ⅝" Firm Foam Quilted to Cover
Upholstery 1" Plush Bedding Foam ¾" Firm Bedding Foam
650 Triple Offset Coils† 14½ Gauge Spring Unit
5 Turn, 4 Wrap, 3 Zone Coil System Head to Toe Helical Lacing
Double Metal Edge Guard 1" Motion Reducing Foam on Bottom
High Profile Semi-Flex Over Edge Box Cover
All Wide Slat Frame Non-skid Decking

We pulled all the bedding off and laid on it as if we were in the store. We both agreed that it felt soft (the padding on top) but firmer than we like. And it was super bouncy. My guess is that it is firmer than either of us need, me especially being so light, and that’s why it hurts my back after not being on it for a period of time when we’re out of town and then we come back and I sleep on it again. Would that make sense? It’s also probably why we aren’t getting great sleep since we can both feel each other move all night. I think upgrading to a king size will help a ton but switching to a foam mattress will really help.

So I was looking at some of the online retailers you recommend, as there is a good chance we will go that route. How do you determine your “level” of firmness though? Like on the SleepEZ site there is soft, medium and firm and I think Xtra firm. Other sites are similar…as we go into the stores, how do we test on the beds to gauge which level of firmness or softness is most like what we liked on something we laid on? Is there a chart somewhere that compares?

Thanks again and I’ll give you an update when we return! Thankfully the weather is a balmy 19 degrees out and it’s not snowing…yet… :slight_smile:

Oh one more thing - do you have a section on pillows? I am at a loss for figuring out a good pillow for each of us and know that is a huge factor in the spinal alignment and neck pain in the morning. Some of the online sites and stores will throw in a free pillow set…is this also something you just have to “test” out? I feel like I will go to the store and select one that’s comfortable and it’s not long before it sucks. Is there better material we should be looking for to have them last longer and keep their shape? Or are they something you should expect to be replacing multiple times a year because they just get so much use?

Thanks!

Hi jm20w,

I would be cautious about Ashley. I don’t know which mattress you are considering there but if it’s one of their latex mattresses (which don’t seem to be on their site anymore) they all have a fairly thick layer of what they call R3 foam on top (which they have never been able to tell me what it is in spite of many phone calls but to my knowledge isn’t latex at all).

The most important part of any mattress choice is making sure that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP regardless of the type of mattress you are considering. You won’t be able to compare the feel or performance of a mattress based on specs and the links to the testing guidelines in the tutorial post will be very helpful to make sure your testing is as careful and objective as possible. Symptoms on a mattress can be a result of alignment issues of the spine or joints, pressure issues, or can sometimes be the result of adjusting from one type of mattress to another. This adjustment may explain your experience when you come back after sleeping on another mattress if that’s the only time it happens and isn’t part of your normal sleeping experience on your mattress. Depending on the location and specifics of the back pain, the most common cause (of lower back pain especially) is a mattress that is too soft. There is more about the more common “symptoms” on a mattress in post #2 here but these are generic and don’t apply to each individual person. The lack of motion isolation on your mattress is most likely the type of innerspring it uses. Springs that use helical wires to connect each spring with other springs beside it will have less motion isolation that pocket coils which can compress more individually or various types of foam mattresses (see this page for more about the different types of innersprings).

Either with local testing on similar mattresses that you can use as a reference point (if there are any available locally that are close enough in design to be a meaningful comparison) or through more detailed conversations with each online retailer or manufacturer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Your right that pillows are a much more subjective and individual choice even than a mattress but there are some “needs” with a pillow that are important. The pillow thread here and the links it includes has more information, sources, and feedback about pillows.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences and feedback along the way.

Phoenix

Okay here’s an update on our trip yesterday…

Stopped at the Mankato Mattress Man yesterday and spoke with Justin. From the moment we walked in my husband said - nope, there’s no way we are buying from him. Although he had good knowledge, he was a bit arrogant in his knowledge and when I started asking more detailed questions about the weight of the polyfoam in some of the beds he said he didn’t know and in all his years of doing business no one had ever asked. I said, oh okay well can you find out? And he said well each manufacturer uses different materials so it all depends on the manufacturer…to which I said, okay well I’m interested in the weight of the polyfoam in the beds of the manufacturers YOU carry…to which he replied, well I guess you could call and ask them. I get them out of North Dakota…

Needless to say, I agree that he did have a decent amount of knowledge about the construction of mattresses, but not any in-depth knowledge of the construction of the beds he carries. There were two he had with Latex, one that I really liked but I couldn’t tell from the specs listed on the bed what the core polyfoam weight was and what order the construction was. It was the Englander Lindsay and the Englander website doesn’t even have their lines listed! So frustrating. He did have lower prices than the big box stores, but he only offers a 1-week return “trial” period of his mattresses. After that you can’t return if you don’t like it. To me, I would rather pay a little more for a longer trial period and that peace of mind.

If you can find any additional information about the Englander Lindsay I would greatly appreciate it. I googled and only one store popped up that carry it and this is the specs they list (http://goldes.com/englander/lindsey/index.html):

3" 2 lb. HR supersoft polyfoam
3" Natural Latex
All of the above on decking
5" superfirm polyfoam base
Tack and jump quilt design
2" high resilant super soft polyfoam plus 3/4" flame-retardant protection

I’m confused because Justin told me this particular bed had the laytex on the top layer…so are these specs out of order? I also saw Google returned some of the discussions on The Mattress Underground for that particular bed but when I click on the link it goes to a page of discussions and I have no clue which one is the correct one. Also, a search on your site doesn’t produce anything under either englander, englander lindsay or lindsay…so any additional info you can provide on that would would be greatly appreciated.

Our trip to Ashley proved futile. Even though over the phone they said they carried some beds with latex layers, when we got there the sales guy brought us over to Sealy’s Optimum line. We humored him and laid on those along with the TempurPedics but when I asked again about the latex he said no one really carries them anymore because they aren’t popular. We didn’t mind the Elation and Inspiration (couldn’t really tell much of a difference between the two) and I liked that the sales guy brought over different pillows for each of us to try (my husband a cool gel one because he sleeps hot). We also played around with the adjustable base and are pretty much sold that we want one. :slight_smile:

But aside from not being convinced that a synthetic memory foam isn’t going to be too hot, I couldn’t believe how strong the smell on the floor models still were. These weren’t newly put out beds and the smell was still very strong. I don’t think we could bring that into our house and me be able to stand it, especially during pregnancy where my sense of smell is heightened times a million. Yet another reason why I think latex would be a better option.

If we contact say, SleepEz and described the Englander Lindsay model (my pick) and the Sealy Optimum model (my hubby’s pick), they would be able to fit us with the layers that would work best for us?

Even though we haven’t headed up to the Cities to check out any of the other stores yet, I can say that of the three in Mankat/o (we actually hit up more stores like Rooms and Rest and Slumberland in Mankato, but they were similar to Ashley), the store I would be most comfortable buying from was Bedpost Furniture. The owner (Mark) was incredibly knowledgeable and his main goal was the best fit bed for us. If that store carried more of what we wanted, I would absolutely consider buying from him. Unfortunately they don’t and their prices are a lot higher than they ought to be.

I wish we lived closer to more stores that offered the latex option. It’s hard enough trying to take turns testing out the mattresses and chasing around an 18-month old at a store (especially being pregnant) and having to drive an hour or two to do it all just adds to the headache. I feel fairly comfortable ordering from SleepEZ due to the easy exchanging if it’s not exactly right and the 3 different layering options to be able to customize even more. I am just not sure if the top layer is going to feel as plush as I would like. I think my husband would like it fine as he liked the Sealy Optimum line of memory foam. But I’m worried about if I will like it enough…any thoughts?

I am kind of to the point where I just want to get this done. Our bed is really starting to hurt my back. Or pregnancy is and our bed isn’t helping. I don’t know which but waking up in the morning in pain is not something I want to continue doing.

I appreciate your help?

I just noticed another store here carries the following bed (though I doubt it’s on their floor and they aren’t open until noon):

Serta Perfect Sleeper Morina King
Composition
Comfort Layers 2" Talalay Latex, 1" Comfort Foam, Innerpanel, 2¾" Comfort Foam
Top Quilted with Pillo-fill, 1" Comfort Foam
Construction
Coils and Support 6" Foam Core with Edge Support

Does this look like a decent quality option?

They also have a Serta Perfect Sleeper Verano:
Composition
Comfort Layers 2" Talalay Latex, 2" Comfort Foam
Top Quilted with Pillo-fill, ½" Comfort Foam
Construction
Coils and Support 6" Foam Core with Edge Support

I couldn’t find any info on these on Serta’s website…

What should I ask the store about these when I call?

Thanks!

Hi jm20w,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Outside of testing a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and without knowing this you would be making a high risk and completely blind purchase in terms of quality/durability.

While I would normally avoid the major brands or any mattress where you don’t know the quality of the materials and components (see the guidelines here) … if you are considering a mattress that they make then at the very least I would want to know the quality of all the layers in the mattress to be able to identify any possible weak links in the mattress and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If you can find out the density of all the polyfoam layers in both mattresses (which is unlikely … see here) … I’d be happy to make some comments about either or both of them but without this I would avoid both of these or any mattress that uses more than about an inch or so of either low quality materials or materials where you don’t know the quality/density so you aren’t taking the much higher risk of making a completely blind purchase.

Phoenix

If you’re ever over this way, come stop by us: DIY Natural Bedding in Crystal, MN, 763-445-9676

We are a grassroots, home business, working out of our showroom of a living room, just 10 minutes north of Minneapolis. We are available most days and evenings if you would like to stop by.

We have all the firmnesses of natural latex available for you to rearrange to find the perfect comfort, as well as samples of all our offerings of pillows and tickings. It is often helpful to lay on one to determine what firmness and comfort level right for you before you purchase the foam or the pillow fills.

I feel a little sheepish to advertise so, but knowing Pheonix put us on the MN list a while back, I thought I’d let you know we’re here too. Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground

Hi Phoenix,

Okay my head hurts with all the research and comparing. There are no places for us to test out a full latex mattress in our area. And the weather has been beyond terrible (white outs, school closings, etc.) so heading up to the Cities is not going to happen anytime soon.

What we were able to do is narrow down the exact memory foam mattress we both like the most. Low and behold it’s a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze. We are also going to get an adjustable base.

Are there any full latex mattresses you can recommend that will feel the same as this bed?

13" (high)
COMFORT LAYER - 2.75"
TEMPUR-ES™ Breeze material comfort layer (4 lb. extra soft memory foam)
SUPPORT LAYER - 2"
TEMPUR-Climate™ material support layer (7.2 lbs. high density memory foam)
BASE LAYER - 8.25"
Dual-core base layer
COVER FABRIC
TEMPUR-Breeze cooling material

If so awesome! I’ll be comfortable ordering it online. If not…I’ll probably just go with the Tempurpedic because I know it’s what we will like and I have many friends with the same bed who love it and say they would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Let me know if you know what full latex mattress might compare.

Thanks!

Hi jm20w,

It’s unfortunate that the weather has been so bad that you weren’t able to travel.

Post #12 here includes a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of and many of these have a memory foam mattress that uses the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (or Luxe Breeze) as a reference point in terms of comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment although they may have a different “feel” or design. Many of these use similar or better quality materials than Tempurpedic and of course have significantly lower prices. Post #12 here also has more information about the different ways that one mattress can match another that you can use as a guideline when you talk with them.

When you are buying online the return or exchange policy of the manufacturer will probably be a more important part of your personal value equation because the “feel” of a mattress is also subjective and relative to each person and it’s always a good idea to be clear about the options you have available or the risk involved if you order a mattress online and for you it isn’t as good a “match” as you hoped for even if other people would say it was.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

I have contacted Brooklyn Bedding, SelectFoam, Restava, Rocky Mountain Mattress and SleepEZ to learn a bit more about each of their offerings. Brooklyn Bedding already got back to me, nearly instantly! Quite impressive!

After reading more and more trails about the latex mattresses, I am very hesitant in purchasing one without having laid on one to compare because the feel is just so unique. So I think I may gravitate back to the memory foam. I think any one of the above suppliers would have a bed comparable to the TempurPedic Cloud Luxe Breeze that we both liked for a fraction of the price. And they all have good trial periods and return policies. I am confident that we will be able to make a selection soon and be very happy with our mattress.

Thanks for all the great help! I will let you know what I hear back from each of the suppliers.

Hi jm20w,

You are looking at some good options and I’m looking forward to your feedback and hearing about what you end up choosing :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just wanted to give a quick update. So far only SleepEZ and Brooklyn Bedding have gotten back to me. Both have been very helpful at answering questions.

I’ve removed Rocky Mountain Mattress from my list of options because they have a 20% restocking fee in addition to paying for shipping on any returns. All of the other places provided a 100% money back returns within the trial period (which range from 90-120 days) and some of them even have no shipping fees on returns.

For me not being able to try out the mattress and needing the ability to return if it doesn’t work out, this easily eliminates Rocky Mountain Mattress as an option for us.

Hopefully I’ll hear from Select Foam and Restava soon.

Hi jm20w,

Thanks for the update and your feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix