Where to buy a specific mattress

Thanks Daniel! Yes, the Saatva mattress become uncomfortable after the indentations, but that happened very quickly. I would never recommend a Saatva mattress to anyone.

Is the Serta Perfect Sleeper Concierge Suite ll a preferred mattress by your standards? Any help would be appreciated! If so, should I look into one of your recommended companies to check if they make the mattress? If not, please do recommend a mattress that would work best for us. Thanks so much again!
Karen

Also, a quick question on the Serta perfect sleeper. The Serta Perfect Sleeper mattresses are available in innerspring, memory foam and hybrid constructions. Which do you recommend?

I myself do not personally recommend Serta as a brand. But I would say of their current offerings the Hybrid mattresses I feel would be the best value and quality to look at.

Thanks, but can you tell me why you do not recommend Serta? Also, can you tell me a mattress that is the same/similiar to the Serta Perfect Sleeper Concierge Suite ll that we enjoyed sleeping on at the hotel? Also, some feeds say an all latex mattress is the best. What do you recommend? What is the difference between hybrid and latex? Thanks again. Still so confused on what and where to buy a mattress.

Thank you,
Karen

The majority of what Serta produces is upholstered primarily of lower grade polyurethane foams. When I last sold the product they had very different names and fabrics on different models sold from different retailers; not sure if this is still the case or if Serta USA does things differently. I personally do not know the specs on the exact mattress you slept on. But many people spend a night or two on hotel mattresses and love them only to find out they are very similar to the mattress at home they have but are unhappy with. It’s just that good hotels know to replace their mattresses before they are out of shape. And buying them hundreds at a time, most hotels actually purchase for less than retailers do, its also a good form of advertising for the manufacturers.

This is why I asked if you were happy with your Saatva for even a brief period of time. Chances are the springs in a Saatva did not break down but the polyurethane foam layers did. Not every single person will experience sleep issues due to this, but its probably sound advice to say staying away from lower density polyurethane foams is a good idea to try and avoid a situation where you spend good money again on a mattress that might only last you a couple of years.

The definition of hybrid tends to be very murky in the industry, there is no 100% accepted criteria. But I believe a hybrid mattress done correctly is either high density memory foam or latex foam over a spring system of some kind, without the use of lower density polyurethane foams, or perhaps very minimal of such being used.

An all latex mattress is one of the best types of mattress to sleep on, they will tend to be more expensive than a hybrid type of construction.

Without knowing really any useful details, I would really recommend to see if one of the expert members of TMU is located close to you to see if there is a physical store location near you where the salespeople may know a lot more than the average ones out there.

I personally recommend everyone sleeps on an elastic mattress that can breathe well. I don’t want to be dismissive or avoid your direct question asking me what I specifically recommend. But I am just a retailer located in Alberta, Canada. I do not know all of the options in your area so am just not comfortable recommending precisely what is best for you.

Hi Karen.

I’ve noticed that you are using your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. To change your username you would need to log in The Mattress Underground and click on your Profile and then the Edit button. Let me know if you need any assistance with this change.

I am not sure what you’ve read since finding our site, but I’d suggest that along with the great personalized advice you’re receiving from TMASC (Thanks TMASC :slight_smile: ! ) you also go through a few of the articles and discussions that lay out the mattress shopping basics. The most important steps in shopping for a mattress are clearly stated in the mattress shopping tutorial here, which include all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help people make the best possible choice. Two of the most important links in this tutorial are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help one assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as hoped for, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help with meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation .

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks so much, Phoenix! I am in the process of reading your mattress tutorial (want my husband to go through it with me). I will then get back to you with questions, I’m sure.
Also, I wanted to take off my email, but when I went into profile, then edit, it does not allow me to change my username.
Thanks for all your help!! Your website is so helpful!
Karen

Hello athenasamson,

To protect from spambot email harvesting I removed your email address from your initial username and I replaced it with “athenasamson

When you log in next time you must use the new username along with your secret password.
Please let me know if you have any trouble logging in.

Thanks for the appreciation for our site and good luck with your mattress research

Admin

Thank you!

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I have read your tutorial, although I feel very overwhelmed right now. The serta we were looking at has the following specs:

Serta Concierge Suite ll Plush Hotel Mattress Concierge Suite II Plush Innerspring 800 14 3/4 Gauge Continuous Wire Unit 9 Gauge Border Wire Posturized Center Third Total Edge® Foam Encasement Head-to-Toe Helicals Quilted Panel FireBlocker® Fiber 2" Serta® PillowSoft™ Foam Upholstery 1" Serta® PillowSoft™ Foam Serta® Insulator Pad Approx. Mattress Height 12"

It doesn’t mention the words “polyurethane foam” which you mentioned I should stay away from since we have so many pains sleeping in our current “Saatva”. If you think I should stay away from serta, which latex or hybrid mattress do you suggest? If the latex is the best, I wouldn’t mind paying the expense if I could get a good night’s sleep and not have numbness and body aches.
Thanks so much!
Karen

Hi athenasamson.

The specifications you listed are unfortunately meaningless and they don’t tell anything about the type of foam, or any of the specifications that would allow us to determine the durability, quality and weak links in the mattress you are considering

Polyfoam that has a density higher than 1.8lb for people with normal weight ranges (and 2lb for people with higher BMI) or … one of the “newer” generation of higher performance polyfoam is a durable and quality material that is often used successfully in mattress construction. The “stay away” that you mention is connected with the caution I often advise that…. unless you specifically know or find out from a reliable source the quality/density of polyfoam in a mattress comfort layer or quilting it is usually wise to assume that it is a low grade and anything more than about 1"or so should be avoided in either the comfort layers or quilting above it.
I’d keep in mind that the “weakest link” in a mattress in terms of durability is normally in the upper layers (the top 3" - 6" of the mattress) that are compressed more deeply when you sleep on it and not generally in the deeper support layers so the firmer bottom layers of a mattress will have more effect on feel and performance than they will on durability for most people. You may wish to peruse some reading about polyurethane foam in the comfort layers in this article here.

I think that testing mattresses made by major manufacturers can end up doing more to confuse than to help because no matter how they feel in a showroom … you are making a blind purchase and since you can’t feel quality or durability all that happens is that you waste a lot of time testing mattresses that aren’t worth buying but also can’t be used as a reference point or compared to other mattresses. This is the reason for the first guideline in this article which suggests avoiding them completely (and the chain stores that sell them) The only exception I would consider is if I knew the quality of all the materials and layers and they were good quality materials and value which unfortunately you aren’t likely to find. Excluding the worst choices (which is probably about 75% of them or more) will help you focus on the better ones without being overwhelmed and frustrated by the lack of information or misleading information that you will encounter or worse yet spending the time and adding to the confusion.

[quote] If you think I should stay away from serta, which latex or hybrid mattress do you suggest?
[/quote]

Latex in general is a higher performance material and is the most durable of all the foam materials (latex foam, memory foam, polyfoam) regardless of whether it is Dunlop or Talalay or is made from natural rubber, synthetic rubber, or a blend of both and I’d suggest that you do some local testing with a mattress with at least a few good inches of latex in the comfort layer to determine if you like the feel of it. Again, I can’t predict what type of mattress you might do best with via an online forum, as there are entirely too many personal variables involved, but there is very little value in testing a mattress for which you can not find the specifications and I’d suggest that you do a hard reset on your approach to purchasing a mattress and focus on the guidelines in post #1 here which can greatly increase your chances of finding the most suitable mattress that has the best possible quality and value. Remember that you are the only person who can feel what you feel on a mattress and it is best left to personal testing and your own experiences or more detailed discussions with the more knowledgeable people at the retailers or manufacturers that sell a mattress you are considering.

One step at a time (going through all of the steps from the mattress shopping tutorial ) is the most effective way to find “your perfect mattress” and has by far the highest chances of success … and of course once you’ve had the chance to read through the information provided and narrow down your research to a few finalists I or our Expert member TMASC would be happy to help you further.

Phoenix

H Phoenix…I finally purchased our king mattress from Tim at Quality Sleep Shop in LaGrange, il. I am very nervous and hope I made the right decision. Tim was very helpful and we will have our mattress delivered next week. After telling Tim about our needs, he recommended Madelyn, with these specs.,

Comfort Layers
904 posturized pocketed coils
14 gauge, 7 turn coils
Lumbar support pad
One inch ultra premium foam
Two-sided
One inch, pound 1.5 heavy-density quilted cover
All of our foam is CertiPUR
Class A Fabric
Benefits
Made in USA - La Grange Highlands, IL
Two-sided so that you can flip for longer life of the mattress
Eliminates motion transfer
Foam encasing provides firm seating edge
Full 10-year warranty

I’ll let you know how this mattress has been for us.
Thanks again for all your help.

HI athenasamson.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase :cheer:

An important choice like this where 1/3 of your life is affected by the quality of the sleep you get can bring some "nervousness"  but you certainly made a great quality/value choice from Quality Sleep Shop, one of [url=https://mattressunderground.com/the-underground/our-trusted-members.html] our Trusted Members here [/url] As you may be aware I think very highly of Tim and 

his team and you are in good hands with them. I certainly believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

I look forward to your feedback and updates you once you receive your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! Will keep you updated!

Hello Mattress Underground!
Thank you so very much for all the help and information you provided me this summer on my journey to find “my perfect” mattress! We finally purchased our mattress from The Quality Sleep Shop, here in Illinois and we are so pleased! Tim, the owner was fabulous! He was so informative and helpful and definitely not pushy at all! I will definitely be going back there for my next mattress. Thanks so much again!
Karen

Hi athenasamson.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :lol:

You are very welcome! am glad you spoke with Tim directly and that you now own your “perfect” mattress from Quality Sleep Shop … they carry very good quality/value and well-designed sleep systems, As you’re aware they are one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry.

I look forward to any updates you might have once you have a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Finally decided the solution to our family’s complicated sleeping dilemma/needs, is that we merely need one new Twin mattress. For my tiny daughter’s sensitivities and respritory breathing needs
I need help though.

What is the cheapest (under $800?), natural coil-spring mattress one can find? Must have these:
• Coils
• Soft (not firm)
• Payment plan option (assuming it costs over $300).
• some degree of “natural” (less glues/toxins/fire-retardants/off-gassing)

That’s all we require. Pretty sure the third one means I can’t get something off Amazon.
I’m also totally willing to compromise and just get something that’s “mostly natural” as opposed to 100% organic, etc. 'Looking for the best that one can expect for a super small budget.
Needing a solution for my little one to safely breath while sleeping on. I just don’t know what might be available as “passable” (as far as ‘natural’) at the lowest price, when it comes to safe breathability for a baby/toddler.

Getting desperate for a solution asap. Thank you for any help!

Hello,
First and foremost we apologize on behalf of the community for taking a little longer than usual/expected to answer your question. We wanted to offer up to you our Pure Echo to consider in your search as the perfect solution for your child. Our Pure Echo is based on a pocketed coil spring system, which provides excellent support for any age child (or adult). A comfort layer of GOTS certified organic cotton pads and batting ensures comfort with a medium-firm feel, excellent for comfortably, healthy sleep for any child. We do not use any chemical flame retardants (we use an all natural wool as our flame barrier), adhesives or other toxic elements that would create respiratory issues for your child, such as poly foams which emit high levels of VOCs in to the air that cause health hazards. Our mattresses are Greenguard Gold certified, ensuring their safety for the most sensitive of individuals.

I have 2 friends who have the Serta Concierge Suite ll Plush Hotel Mattress. One lives in Florida and the other in Nevada; both discovered this mattress after staying in hotels. Now I am looking to buy it and have found a wonderful source. Easy Elegance @ (314) 270-4244. Elizabeth is so helpful. You can get a king Serta Concierge Suite ll for under $800 including shipping.

I forgot to mention that this (Serta Concierge Suite ll) is a flippable, 2- sided mattress used in the hotel industry