Where to buy adjustable base / foundation / bed online?

I JUST ordered the Ergomotion Softide 8300.

Apparently Softide bought out Ergomotion and this new line just came out in May so they are hard to find.

We compared Reverie, L&P and Serta and loved the Serta the best (best massage action, nice motor hum.) The Serta model with the best options though also came with bluetooth and speakers and was like $2400. We didn’t want quite that fancy, but I did want the underbed light and I liked that it had pillow tilt and lumbar support. And plenty of settings. Ergomotion makes Serta frames. The 8300 had everything I wanted for $1660 including white glove delivery. That’s why I pulled the trigger. I can’t say for 100% it’s the same as the Serta I tried, but the description was the same, same remote buttons, same weight limit, etc sans the bluetooth/speaker setup.

If you decide to go Reverie, Sleep Ez had the best prices I could find.

If you decide to go with the ErgoMotion Softide here are some options I found. Prices are for queen for comparison:
Ebay Bettersleepforless $1519 + 150 white glove (who I ordered from)
Atlanticbeds.com $1599 + $250 white glove
US-adjustablebeds.com (also sell on Amazon, they emailed me right back) $1699 plus a 5% discount, free white glove $1614 (the best deal, but in my state charges sales tax so was not overall cheapest for me)

Hopefully that helps. This was a huge purchase for me, but I think it will really help with my allergies and heartburn and the massage will be nice for my achy joints (which hopefully will be less achy when I get my new bed!)

Hi cardiacmommy,

Thanks for sharing the results of your adjustable bed research … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Just for reference sake … Softide is a brand name and Ergomotion was actually purchased by Jiaxing Shufude which is their manufacturer in China.

Phoenix

Thanks for clarifying Phoenix. I imagine in a few months the new line will be easier to come by. I will be sure to report back how we like it. It was painful to spend the $ but I’m super excited to try it I must admit! I’ll be sure to report back how I like my 8300!

Are there any major concerns using this base (Softide 5100/5100+) with a Split King and a King mattress? I imagine both bases would need to be sync’d.

If you want to see spec sheets on the new line you must go to www.softide.com. They are not yet on ergomotion’s website (although I called the phone # on the softide website and the recording did state ergomotion.) They have some nice downloadable sheets there that may help.

Hi virtualdj2,

As long as your king size mattress is suitable for an adjustable bed then the two sides can be synched together and operate as a single unit to use under a king size mattress and there wouldn’t be any issues. It could harm a king size mattress if you were to use each side independently. All king size adjustable beds are actually two twin XL bases because a single king would be too difficult to fit into many bedrooms and because the weight would make it very difficult to handle.

Phoenix

Do you think we’ll be able to feel the seam in between the two individual bases through the mattress? I’m planning to use a single king sized bed but I’m just worried about the seam between the two bases causing discomfort.

Hi virtualj2,

I’ve never heard of anyone that could feel the seam in between two twin XL bases through their mattress so it’s certainly not something that I would be concerned about at all.

Phoenix

Thank you all! I have purchased Ergomotion Softide 5100 base 2xTwinXL from ebay with whiteglove delivery. Costed me close to $1840 all inclusive. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hi vitrualdj2,

Congratulations on your new adjustable bed :slight_smile:

I hope you enjoy it and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

Minor digression. I thought I posted this comment. Not sure why it did not show up earlier. I am curious if the 'Novaform 14" Serafina Pearl Gel King Memory Foam Mattress" will work with this base? Apparently Costco’s website states that they had to create a 12" version for it to work with adjustable bases.

Hi virtualdj2,

In general terms most foam mattresses (memory foam, latex foam, polyfoam) that aren’t more than about 12" thick and most pocket coil mattresses will work well on an adjustable bed but when you are over about 12" thick then the mattress may not contour to the adjustable bed as effectively. This can also depend on the specifics of the mattress though and staying below about 12" thickness is only a general guideline because some mattresses that are a little more than that which use more flexible materials may still be fine and some mattresses that are less than that may not work as well but 12" is a good general guideline. The most reliable source of information about whether any specific mattress would be a suitable choice for an adjustable bed will be a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or the manufacturer that makes the mattress.

Having said that … I would personally avoid most if not all of the Novaform mattresses anyway along with any mattress that uses more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality and less durable materials or where you aren’t able to find out the quality/density of the memory foam or polyfoam in the mattress (see this article and the quality/durability guidelines it links to). As you can see I would consider 3" of 3 lb memory foam in the top layer of a mattress to be a “weak link” in the design in terms of durability and it would be a very risky purchase.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

How about the Sleep Science 13" Ara? It has a 3" 5lb visco foam. Also with Costco’s return policy I don’t really care if the 3 lb foam is the weak link. I can just exchange it or use the manufacturer’s warranty.

Hi virtualdj2,

You can see my comments about the Sleep Science Ara mattress in post #2 here.

You can also see my comments about the uncertainty involved in buying a mattress that is shipped compressed from China in post #6 here

You can see my thoughts about buying from Costco in post #4 here.

Warranties certainly don’t indicate the durability or the useful life of a mattress or how long it may be until you will need to buy a new one. In terms of durability … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it. A warranty only covers defects in the mattress (which tend to happen early in the life of a mattress) and they don’t cover the premature loss of comfort and support which is the reason that most people will need to replace a mattress (see post #174 here).

Needless to say, I would put both of the mattresses you mentioned in the “buyer beware” category and they certainly wouldn’t be a choice I would make when there are so many better options available to you.

Phoenix

It has been 20+ years since I had to shop for a matress (ugh!). I’m looking into memory foam or latex matresses and would like to also purchase an adjustable bed frame. This site has been very helpful! One of the manufacturers I visited stated that for the flexible base a latex bottom layer is the best. (Seems to make sense since it is rubber). But if I end up choosing a matress with a non-latex, high density foam as the bottom layer, does it really make that much of a difference?
He also said for best comfort/flexibility the matress should be no more than 10 inches. I like a higher bed. Again, if matress is 12 inches, would that really make a noticeable difference?
Last question, for under 130 lb or even 175 lb person, would taking 2 inches off the bottom layer whether latex or high density foam make a difference (taking a 12 or 13 inch matress down 2 inches)? Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Hi Cobalt,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so your questions don’t get mixed in with a different set of questions from another member.

In general terms most foam mattresses (memory foam, latex foam, polyfoam) that aren’t more than about 12" thick and most pocket coil mattresses will be flexible enough to work well on an adjustable bed but when you are over about 12" thick then the mattress may not contour to the adjustable bed as effectively. While in general terms thinner mattresses will tend to be more flexible than thicker mattresses and will contour to the adjustable bed more effectively … this can also depend on the specifics of the mattress layers and components and staying below about 12" thickness is only a general guideline because some mattresses that are a little more than that which use more flexible materials may still be fine and some mattresses that are less than that may be less flexible and not work as well but 12" is a good general guideline.

Latex is certainly a very flexible material and works very well on an adjustable bed so a thicker latex mattress may contour more effectively than a thicker mattress that uses less flexible foam materials (such as polyfoam) but it’s certainly not the only option you have. The most reliable source of information about whether any specific mattress would be a suitable choice for an adjustable bed will be a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or the manufacturer that makes the mattress.

Every layer and component in a mattress will have some effect on every other layer and component in the mattress and on the mattress “as a whole” so every change to the design of a mattress will make “some difference” to how the mattress feels and performs for specific people. Whether the difference would be enough for a particular person to feel would also depend on the specifics of the mattress, on the body type and sleeping positions of the person, and on the sensitivity of the person sleeping on it as well. With some mattresses and for some people it could certainly make a noticeable difference while for other mattresses that have a different design but are the same thickness or for people that are less sensitive the difference may not be noticeable at all.

Higher body weights will tend to notice the effect of deeper layers more than lighter body weights and changing the thickness of firmer layers on the bottom will have less effect than changing the thickness of softer layers on the bottom. There is more about the general effect of thickness in post #14 here.

Phoenix

Do you use the Ergomotion app with the base? Are you able to set an alarm on when to wake up like the iComfort version of the same base? Do you like the base still? Trying to decide between this, iComfort Motion Custom, or the Reverie 8Q!

I’'ve finally decided on my new bed! Houstonians, before you purchase, visit Texas Mattress Makers. They have everything you would want - coil, memory foam and latex, at much better prices. Plus, they give a 10%discount for mattress underground members, plus you will pay no taxes on both the mattress and the frame with a Drs prescription. Good delivery prices as well. I ended up with a memory foam, not too firm and not too soft. Coming from sleeping on a coil mattress all my life, I was afraid i would have an adjustment period, but from the first night, it felt as good it did in the display room, and comfortable all night long. A slight chemical smell for a week, but not enough to keep me off of it. Has it helped with my back issues? I would say there is a small improvement so far. I have no issues with the bed being too warm, but again, it is not summer in Houston, so we’ll see how it is then. TMM sells Rize adjustable bases, which I got the new contemporary model, and they also are at a much better price than elsewhere. This model seems to have a flaw where the material near the electric outlet has a small tear on both sides of the base. They replaced the whole base with no issues. I got a St Dormeir wool mattress pad because I didn’t want something that would change the feel of the mattress too much, but would provide some moisture resistance. I’m kind of neutral on the product. It is fine, I would make that choice again, and although it says it will fit up to 12" mattress, mine is 13" and it works fine, even with the adjustable frame. Lastly, on the linens, I will bring this up because I have not seen comments here for this site - Vero Linnens sell good quality Giza Cotten sheets. You never know what you are getting when reading thread count and “Egyptian” Cotten, but this site sells the best Giza Cotten sheets and directly to consumer, so, while still expensive, at a lower price than you could find elsewhere. They are also woven in Italy. I could really see and feel the difference, (and I liked my previous sheets, but they are 25 years old, like my previous bed, and getting a bit threadbare). They also sell a nice lavender linen spray. Hope this helps others with their decisions, as this site helped me so much with my decisions, and also saved me money; I had not even heard about Texas Mattress Makers before coming here, plus the extra discounts…Sweet Dreams!

Hi Cobalt,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you ended up deciding and for sharing your experience with Texas Mattress Makers as well … I appreciate it!

As you know I think highly of Texas Mattress Makers and you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It also sounds like you made some great quality choices with your adjustable bed, your mattress protector, and your Egyptian Cotton sheets … and thanks for the feedback about Vero Linens as well.

Phoenix

I don’t know if you found an adjustable bed yet, but I found a great places recently that works great!
The story is that my wife wanted to buy one, and she had my come look at the computer so we could buy one (for $8,600) I thought I would take a look around the net first.
I found www.premiumbedoutlet.com and we bought their california king.
We paid $2,900 and saved over $5,000! I went to the gambling boat after that… jk jk
This bed is amazing though! USB ports (which the other beds didn’t have), two remotes, zero-gravity position, mattresses, foam pillows, and bed sheets in one package. They even delivered and set it up for free (which again we were going to pay for all these extras from three other places including tempurpedic). We just had to buy the bed and it came with everything! We didn’t have to buy this and buy that and get addons. It was a very simple process.
Trust me that the people at premiumbedoutlet.com were quick and responsive. We slept on an adjustable bed for the first time within a week.