Where to purchase Avena Foam Layer?

As the title states: I’m interested in trying out Avena foam in my DIY build but I can’t seem to find it anywhere online for purchase. Are there toppers available that sell Avena under a different name? Or am I going to have more success reaching out to manufacturers of mattresses that use Avena and asking them directly?

Thanks!

1 Like

You could try engineered sleep

As far as I know you cannot buy Avena foam as a retail topper or standalone slab. It is a proprietary material made by Carpenter Co. and is strictly sold B2B to commercial mattress manufacturers. Leesa was a perfect example, although I they no longer use it either. Reaching out to brands directly won’t work, as they aren’t set up to sell raw components to consumers.

Since Avena was engineered to mimic the springy, breathable feel of latex, you have a few direct alternatives for your DIY build. The TitanFlex Topper from MattressTopper.com is a hyper-elastic polyfoam that mimics that latex-alternative feel, and you can simply unzip the cover to pull the raw foam slab out. True Talalay latex is the benchmark for quality if you want that exact buoyant, quick-response bounce and open-cell cooling that you can get out there or though a variety of our TM’s on TMU. Alternatively, you can look for a high-resilience polyfoam with a density of 2.5 lbs per cubic foot (I think Avena was 3.6lb) or higher and a plush Indentation Load Deflection rating between 15 and 22 from (Avena was around 20-26ILD).

What does the rest of your DIY stack look like? Share your sleeping position and weight, one of us or a TM can chime in with some suggestions.

Maverick