Where to shop for a Mattress?

I’ve read the guide and understand most of it, but I’m having issues finding anywhere reasonably local to try something that’s not one of the big name brands.

I’ve laid on a lot of mattresses and liked two of the big brand ones, Sealy iComfort Applause II Hybrid Plush and a BeautyRest World Series Plush, but I have my concerns about how long they’ll last.

I’m not very comfortable with the online-only mattresses like Leesa, but if there’s no alternative I guess I have to bite the bullet and try it.

My zip code is 08234 if I could get some assistance.

Thank you!

Hi PotatoChips,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’re off to a great start. I know you’ve read the tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

As you already know, the major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

If you are considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses (see this article) that use different materials and components in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be well worth considering.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Philadelphia/Wilmington/Trenton areas are listed in post #4 here. There’s also a broader list in post #2 here and in post #7 here.

I look forward to learning about your progress.

Phoenix