Where to shop for Mattresses in Danbury CT

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and looking for some ideas of where to start looking for Mattresses around Danbury CT (06810). I am only aware of a couple of not so great chains; appreciate any advice!

Hi Ruts8,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The better options of which I am aware in Connecticut (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in Post #2 herepost #2 here.

Since you’re new to the forum, make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here and two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see the durability guidelines here).

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for the advice and all the wonderful info on your site. I did my best to make an informed decision, and had a great experience at one of the establishments you recommended: Sleep Etc in Norwalk. I ended up making a purchase of a Terrabed Dreamscape Euro Top for $2800. It has note yet been delivered and I wanted to check with you to see if I made a good purchase or if there is something that I should consider. The materials listed are as follows:

14" total
Tick / Quilt - Organic Cotton

• 1" Natural Talalay 17 ILD
  • 5" Natural Dunlop 24 ILD
  • 4" Natural Talalay 36 ILD
  • 4" HR Soy Based Support Layer
    Fire Barrier - Wool / Salt / Rayon
    Tape Edge Kevlar

Appreciate your thoughts (I have no idea on that soy based layer). Is there anything else you think I need to know?

Hi Rutts88,

You’re welcome!

Just to be transparent, Sleep Etc is not a member here of the site, but they are one of the stores I list in your area to visit that have some items using higher quality materials.

The latex used in the mattress is certainly a higher quality material, but you’d need to learn the density of the bottom 4" polyfoam layer. I couldn’t find the model you listed on their web site, so I have no reference to help advise you if that base layer is a higher quality material or not.

I would phone the store and once you find out the density of the base layer let me know and I can provide some commentary about that for you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I went back and asked about the foam layer. I am told it is a 2.75 High Density Certi-Pur Plant Based Support Foam. Appreciate your thoughts. The mattress just arrived; seems a bit firmer than it did in the showroom, but will see how tonight goes. Hoping the Hip Pain I experienced with the Purple goes away…

Thank you

Hi Ruts88,

The 2.75 lb. polyfoam core would be a higher quality material and would meet the durability guidelines I linked to in my earlier reply. CertiPUR-US refers to a certification that the foam has (low VOCs, no formaldehyde, no phthalates, no heavy metals). Plant based means that some of the polyol used in the polyfoam is plant-based (most foams made in the USA use some sort of plant-based polyols).

This would be normal. Expect at least a month for a new mattress to lose some of its “false firmness”. You certainly can help to accelerate that by rolling around on the mattress or walking across it on your hands and knees. It should “break-in” pretty quickly.

Keep us updated, and congratulations on your new mattress!

Phoenix