Where to start?

Current mattress is tempurpedic purchased in mid 2000’s. I think at the time they only had 3 thickness options and we have the middle one. Needless to say, we need a new one. The mattress now feels to firm me. Not to uncommon for arms to fall asleep. Lower back (waistline) starts to hurt is I lay on back for too long.

I’ve been trying to read different recommendations for side sleepers and came up with a solution, then found this site, now not so sure.I was looking at hybrids (coil & latex or foam) and now considering latex only.

Me: 5’-6" - 180lb
Spouse: 5’-7" - 230lb
Both of us are primarily side sleepers with some back time, though I think I would be a little more on my back with a good mattress (though still predominantly side).
King or split king or 2 twin xl’s.

I"m trying to choose between the ultimate hybrid or 100% latex option. Because of my/our schedule, we haven’t been able to a store and actually feel a latex or hybrid mattress.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Hey Txpe,

I see your post was on a busy mattress day for sales on Monday.

Sorry that you did not get a few reply yet to help you on your sleep journey.

I’d say its time to haul away that tempur-pedic as your probably beyond its years left to try to save it with a mattress topper that softens a mattress for side sleepers.

Step 1: Hybrid vs Latex

Id say first decide if you like the spring in your mattress to go with a hybrid or more want the latex to pick a memory foam.

Step 2 Firm vs Soft

it seems that you might enjoy some firmness to sleep a bit more on your back and that mattress you have has probably sagged if you started at the medium choice.

Since your both combo sleepers you may have room to not be all about the softness for side sleeper.

For example GhostBed best for Side Sleeper is the Luxe. However if you like a mid level firmer feel and hybrid then GhostBed Flex to have the spring coils. If your leaning toward latex then GhostBed Classic.

We offer a mattress quiz that may help for 2 mins to fill out as it seems your a bit busy to try some out at a mattress store.

Brian

Thanks for the feedback. I did find a local store that sells the Pure Talalay Bliss. It is likely out of my price range, but if they have one on the floor, I can at least try out a 100% latex bed (would be a first).

I’m also curious if my spouse and I are close enough in size/weight and preferences that we can buy one king, or if we would need to get 2 twin xl’s of different type. I know that is a bit of a loaded question - will have to try some out.

Hey Txpe,

Store visit is nice if you can relax on it with out being bothered to much by the sales rep to get get a feeling of the comfort level that you like.

A split-king is a game changer

Plus if you added in a dual massaging adjustable base to align your spine for the back pain concern.

I’d say your body types and that fact that you are both side sleeper and a bit a combo sleeper… would make me believe that you might be able to agree on the same style of mattress.

But if you have to call it a draw. Then Split king is the way to go. Ours does not have an issue as much with the gap in-between but you can get a gap pillow for about $30 as that is one of the most common complaints is that you feel like your on two islands with some of the split kings on the market.

Good luck! Sleep Well Soon!

We went to a locally owned store with the idea they would have a full latex mattress to test out. They didn’t. We did try out several of the BeautyRest Black Hybrid X Class mattresses to get an idea of the softness level we like. We both liked the Plush version. The wife also fell in love with the adjustable base option. Minimizing motion is also higher on the importance level. They also had the K Class pillow top (I think that was model) and they were to soft on top - I had that sinking feeling - and seemed harder to roll over.

Can anyone suggest an equivalent latex build option to the X Class Plus?