Which coil system for a side sleeper

Hi Ken,

I’m looking for an additional layer to swap/add out on my mattress. I need more support and the current support layer just isn’t cutting it.

I currently have a 3" 19ILD Tal, 3" FloBeds vZone firm Tal, and 3" 36ILD Tal Blend APM setup. I’ve tried thinner comfort layers with no luck and I don’t have a stiffer layer to try for the support. I’m 6’ 2" 190lb with back issues.

I’m debating between a pocket coil system and a firm dunlop layer specifically for the differences in how dunlop behaves when compressed vs Talalay. We’re leaning towards the Bolsa 8" pocket coil, but not the zoned version.

I came across a thread where Ken stated he preferred the non zoned for side sleepers, but I can’t find it. Thoughts?

Sorry for the delayed response, we were have difficulties with the forum email. The Bolsa 8" pocket coil (no zoning) does work best for side sleepers because it molds better to your body curves. Zoned coils work best for back or stomach sleepers. I’m 5’9 175 lb side sleeper and like the feel of the #19 3" Talalay on top of this coil. Softer in the hips and shoulders but supportive in the mid section. I would only go firmer if you sleep mostly on your back or stomach. I’m going to assume you have already tried moving the #19 in the middle and the V zone on the top for a firmer feel?

1 Like

I’m adding my response from the store chat just in case it’s easier to reply here.

Your last message was this: A 36 Talalay topper is equivalent to the support of the Bolsa coil. What is the topper over?

My response:
Above: 3" 19ILD Tal and a 3" Flobeds vZone Tal Medium, but with the hip section swapped to x-firm after I realized the medium was too soft.

Below: The base is a Sleep Ez wood foundation https://sleepez.com/products/natural-wood-foundation/

In response to what you posted here, I’ve tried a number of different combinations using the following layers:

1" 19ILD Dunlop (SleepOnLatex)
3" 19ILD Talalay (LatexMattressFactory)
2" 28ILD Tal Blend (ArizonaPremiumMattress)
3" 28ILD Tal Blend (ArizonaPremiumMattress)
3" 36ILD Tal Blend (ArizonaPremiumMattress)
And the 3" FloBeds Vzone in medium with a handful of firmer layers to swap.

I don’t recall if I’ve ever laid on the vZone directly, but I know that I do not like the soft layer in the middle. We have tried a 1" 19ILD + vZone + 2" 28ILD + 3" 36ILD and that generated pressure points.

The most recent changes we have made to our mattress is to go back down from a 12" stack (3" 19 + vZone + 3" 28 + 3" 36) to a 9" (3" 19 + 3" vZone (X-Firm hip sections) + 3" 36). That made a difference, but wasn’t perfect. I then read that you can firm up a support layer by putting a piece of cardboard above the bottom layer. I did that in just the hip area and it made a more noticeable difference. That’s what’s leading me to think I need a firmer support layer, but I could be wrong.

You have enough variables already that something should be working for you. The only thing left would be perhaps to look for a 40 ILD dunlop for the base and remove a couple of other layers to firm up the overall feel.

Would any of the coils be worth trying over foam if firmer base layers seem to be helping?

I cannot answer that because what you have should be working so it simply comes down to finding what works for you. Perhaps the coil, perhaps not. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Is the support different at all compared to foam? (Contouring, compression, etc)

Personally I feel more support with my all latex than any coil system but maybe that’s just me. We’ve had a lot of success with both but latex is just more conforming to body curves.