Which Latex?

I am new to this site, and trying to wade through a ton of information.
I’ve tried reading through some info on this sight, but am still confused.
Could anyone please answer a few questions for me?
I am trying to find a 100% natural (no fillers or synthetic) latex topper (4"/10cm thick).
What is the difference between the Dunlop and the Talalay?
Are there any other types?
Which is the better quality/longer lasting?
Is there a different feel between the two?
What are the different ratings between the two?
Are they both ILD and how are they listed on that scale?
I have also seen mattresses listed as pounds/kilograms per ft/m3, how do these compare to the ILD rating?
Where are the best quality mattresses made are they European USA or where?
I live in Australia and almost impossible to get the correct info or even find a reputable dealer here ( happy to buy from overseas)
Are there any good sellers here?
Any other info much appreciated, Thanks

Hi KarenAL,

The tutorial post includes a link to the members here that sell latex mattresses online (in the optional step at the end) and many of them have some models that use either 100% natural Talalay and/or 100% natural Dunlop in their mattresses but of course they are all based in North America (although some of them ship internationally).

[quote]What is the difference between the Dunlop and the Talalay?
Are there any other types?
Which is the better quality/longer lasting?
Is there a different feel between the two?[/quote]

This article and post #6 here have more information about the different types and blends of latex and includes information about their relative durability (although any latex is a very durable material compared to other types of foam). Post #7 here also has more about the difference between the “feel” of Dunlop and Talalay but the most reliable way to know which one you prefer would be based on your local testing and/or experience because “feel” is very subjective.

[quote]What are the different ratings between the two?
Are they both ILD and how are they listed on that scale?
I have also seen mattresses listed as pounds/kilograms per ft/m3, how do these compare to the ILD rating?[/quote]

All types of latex come in a wide range of firmness levels and for the most part the firmness of latex is measured in ILD (although some types of Dunlop are only measured in density). The ILD of different types of latex isn’t directly comparable (see post #6 here). While higher ILD numbers means a firmer material … ILD by itself can be quite misleading because it is only one of many specs that are involved in how soft or firm a material or a mattress may feel (see post #4 here). Density ratings are often used as an indication of the firmness of Dunlop latex if they aren’t tested for ILD but again they would only comparable between the same type and blend of latex.

Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and specs and how they combine together and can translate them into “real life” experience … I would tend to avoid using ILD numbers or other complex specs to try and predict how a mattress will feel for you and focus more on your own actual testing and experience or if you can’t test a mattress in person then a more detailed phone conversation with an online manufacturer or retailer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

This is much too open ended a question to provide any meaningful answer. There are very high and low quality mattresses made in both North America and Europe and all other areas of the world (including Australia). They all have access to similar materials and the quality of a mattress always depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it.

[quote]I live in Australia and almost impossible to get the correct info or even find a reputable dealer here ( happy to buy from overseas)
Are there any good sellers here?[/quote]

I’m not familiar with the Australian market but the materials the manufacturers there use are the same as North America and Europe. Post #2 here includes links to most of the forum threads from Australia and post #7 here includes a list of many Australian manufacturers and retailers and a few comments about some of them as well that will hopefully be helpful.

Regardless of which country you are from … the steps in the tutorial post here would be the same and are the most effective way I know to make the best possible choices.

Phoenix