Which mattress is best for me?

Hi,

I just figured out that my mattress is KILLING my back. I have back problems from an accident almost 3 years ago. The pain is not original, but reffered from my foot. Anyway, I went to a local mattress place today and they recommended the floor model of the Serta I Comfort. $1800 for the king- HOLY *&()! I know from a family friend who was in sales for over 20 years that mattresses are one of the biggest rip offs there is! I have an Ashley Furniture, and Sit and Sleep not too far away. That said, I would love someone’s opinion. Here is what I really need- just the mattress, unless I get a king (mine is for a queen)…I need something that will be comfortable like Tempur or Postur Pedic, where I won’t feel movement-or very little at that. If, I am going to pay $$$ for a mattress, one that will last me longer than mine, only 6 years (maybe 7)…and considering my back pain…no springs I guess?

I read the post on the I Comfort and you said a local mattress store that has their own factory? Would this be a place like Sit and Sleep or Ashley Furniture. I ask because it is Memorial Day weekend, so lots of discounts…I think? They could just inflate their prices and then say “discounted”. The one right around the corner from me said the most Serta gives is $200 off…or they do not include a warranty at all! They also have zero credit-or no credit financing- kind of scary!

Thanks for any and all info.
Mindy

Hi Chilimaiden,

The first thing I would suggest is to read this article and hopefully you will never be tempted by a so called mattress sale again. These types of massive sales are just marketing gimmicks and they should be treated as a major warning sign to avoid the outlets that use them to sell mattresses. I would highly caution against walking through the front door of any of these outlets… at least without a firm conviction that you will not buy anything and you are just there to est high priced materials. The better outlets across the country sell mattresses with better quality and value every day of the year and when they do have a sale … it is for legitimate reasons that makes sense.

The next thing I would do is to read the overviews in the mattresses section of the website which will give you a much better idea of what you can look for in a quality mattress and how to choose a mattress based on your needs and preferences. It will give you some information to help you ask better questions and to help you tell when someone knows what they are talking about.

The next thing I would do is to find your “best friend” in mattress shopping which are factory direct outlets and sleep shops that carry alternative or local brands. These are the types of outlets that have the knowledge to give you legitimate guidance about mattresses that best suits your individual needs and preferences and how to tell quality and value from gimmicks. They are focused on helping you make the best choices for you rather than their profit margin. The more they know … the less you need to know.

If you let me know the city you live in … I’d be happy to let you know of any that I’m aware of that are reasonably close to you.

In the meantime you can relax (to the degree that your back will let you anyway) and not worry about missing any sales. The goal is always to find the mattress that gives you the pressure relief and alignment that is best for along with the preferences that give each mattress a different “feel”. To do this means finding the outlets that are “mattress people” and will use their knowledge to your benefit and avoiding the chain stores and mass market outlets, and the major brands they mostly sell.

Phoenix