Which mattress material is least likely to sag?

We are shopping for a new mattress that is least likely to sag early on. We have a 9-year old latex that was fine up until a few months ago. I started getting morning backaches and realized that the mattress was the cause.

It’s so difficult to know what type to buy. Good quality latex is so expensive, but I wonder about the synthetic “mattress in a box” types, some kind of synthetic foam apparently. How durable are they, how comfortable?

Thanks for any info.
Happy

Hey Maggie,

Nice to see you again on the forum and thanks for your question :slight_smile: .

I am sorry to hear that you continue to have back issues, Maggie; I reread your past threads to catch up on your earlier proposed latex rearranging experiment (I’m guessing you decided against dissecting it). When you say “sag”, are you referring to mattress conformity or defects in workmanship, i.e. a warranty issue? Most mattresses will experience some amount of conformity over time as it adapts to the user, depending on the quality of materials, the body profile/ BMI of the user, and how the mattress is used and cared for (you did mention before that you provided routine maintenance of your latex mattress, well done!). Mattress “sag” refers to a support failure issue of some kind, whether a faulty construction in the support system or an improper foundation pairing with the mattress itself. Generally speaking, a true mattress construction issue will present itself within the first 9 months or so of use. Nine years is fairly young for a latex mattress to give up support, so perhaps some natural compressions have become more noticeable recently and are causing your morning backaches. Our bodies’ comfort and support needs change as we age too, adding another layer of complexity when working towards solving the aches and pains riddle.

This is a great question, Maggie :slight_smile: . As you may have guessed, here is where I break out several Phoenix articles for your review to offer research points for consideration. "The Basic Functions of a Mattress"explain the concepts of Comfort and Support, the two roles a mattress plays for the user. "Latex- Pros and Cons"provides an in-depth discussion of the different types of latex and different blends for better understanding the latex story. “Mattress Specifications You Need to Know” provides a list of questions for researching the quality/ durability potential of the components for any mattress of interest. And finally, "Finding a Great Mattress Outlet"will help you lead discussions with local showrooms when mattress testing.

Many of our trusted members offer affordable, high-quality latex mattresses that ship roll-packed/ compressed as “bed in a box” mattresses. These are well-constructed, highly durable mattresses that are backed with 10-15+ year warranties and other perks, such as extended sleep trials, exchanges, etc. For clarity, could you please explain the “synthetic foam” reference? Do you mean for example, whether “blended latex” is used as a component, as opposed to 100% natural latex? Do you have any updates on your research? Looking forward to your reply… :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei,
Sorry to take solo g to respond to your very helpful reply to my post. I checked out the resources you provided and learned a lot.
We have been dealing with other issues and just now getting back to the mattress problem.

We bought a memory foam topper hoping it would help with the morning backaches but it only made it worse.

On closer examination of our present latex mattress it’s clear that it is definitely sagging in the area where our hips rest. We discovered that by sitting on the bed in different areas. It felt very much firmer at the ends, where our feet rest, than it did in the middle part.
Our original plan, to cut the mattress crosswise and rotate each piece, would maybe work, but probably only for a short time due to the age of the latex.

So here we are back to square one. Now thinking of just buying a good mattress (what type?) and hoping for the best.

Thanks again for your help.

Happy

Hey Happy,

[quote]Sorry to take solo g to respond to your very helpful reply to my post. I checked out the resources you provided and learned a lot. We have been dealing with other issues and just now getting back to the mattress problem.

We bought a memory foam topper hoping it would help with the morning backaches but it only made it worse.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that the memory foam topper increased your morning backache pain. Toppers are designed to add comfort to a mattress that does not sag but is too firm and needs some pressure relief qualities. When you use a topper over a mattress, the topper will compress in combination with the layers below it and will take on the shape of your body profile, likely why it did not help in your case. In other words, use of a topper can not correct sagging issues in the mattress’s support core.

[quote]On closer examination of our present latex mattress it’s clear that it is definitely sagging in the area where our hips rest. We discovered that by sitting on the bed in different areas. It felt very much firmer at the ends, where our feet rest, than it did in the middle part.
Our original plan, to cut the mattress crosswise and rotate each piece, would maybe work, but probably only for a short time due to the age of the latex.[/quote]

Lol, I do remember following that prospective project with much interest. I’m happy that you decided against cutting into the latex, there are too many unexpected outcomes at risk with these type of dissections on a mattress of its age :wink: .

[quote]So here we are back to square one. Now thinking of just buying a good mattress (what type?) and hoping for the best.
[/quote]

So, you’ve both enjoyed your latex mattress up until the point it began giving up support. You may find putting a “sleep history” of sorts together helpful for creating a starting point. Prior to the past 9 years or so, what other types of mattresses have you owned? What types have you used while visiting or travelling? What qualities did you like in any of those models and what qualities are no-goes? Are you located where showroom visits are a possibility? What is your budget for purchase? It’s been awhile since your last post; are there any updates on your search?

Thanks,
Sensei