Which pocket coil to get with latex comfort layer

Hi all! I’m trying to choose between pocket coils, and trying to figure out what pros/cons are. I’d love to have a bed be as low profile as possible, but what really matters to me is addressing chronic shoulder/neck/back etc. pain. I also want something as soon as possible and am now based in the Boston area.

The only thing that has ever worked well for me is a $200 7in coil + foam from bestpricemattress…but they only lasted a 6 months or so each and are no longer made so I’ve been trying to piece the equivalent together with latex and higher quality coils (that aren’t connected in unhelpful ways).

This is the only 6in coil I could find: Caliber Edge 6" Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt – DIY Mattress
This is an 8in listed there: DIY Combi-Zoned Pocket Coil Spring – DIY Mattress
And then there are the 8in options listed here: by e.g. DIY Latex Mattress Components (though in theory there is a 6 in version?)

1. How do I chose between these?
    I’m slight, ~120 lbs and ~5’5’', but may share a bed with someone up to e.g. 160 lbs., though they are not sensitive (I only mention re. durability, since it should support combined weight of say 300lbs max for e.g. an hour).
    I sleep on my side and back and may only have 1-3in of latex on top of the coil.
    One challenge for me is that my shoulders get lifted up when lying on my back which messes them up (though that may be more relevant to comfort layer), and I sleep on my back and side.
    Subquestions here: How do I know if zoning is helpful? Do the extra 2 in matter?

2. Also, is there any place I can get this sort of thing on the east coast for cheaper/faster shipping? (and ideally potential returns if that doesn’t work?)

Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. I would hate to buy something that doesn’t work and send it to the landfill.

[quote=“arc post=90765”]1) How do I chose between these?
I’m slight, ~120 lbs and ~5’5’', but may share a bed with someone up to e.g. 160 lbs., though they are not sensitive (I only mention re. durability, since it should support combined weight of say 300lbs max for e.g. an hour).
I sleep on my side and back and may only have 1-3in of latex on top of the coil.
One challenge for me is that my shoulders get lifted up when lying on my back which messes them up (though that may be more relevant to comfort layer), and I sleep on my back and side.
Sub questions here: How do I know if zoning is helpful? Do the extra 2 in matter?.[/quote]

Each pocket coil layer reacts differently depending on the number of springs and the spring rate (# coils and wire gauge). If you go this route you will need to lie on the coils directly to check your alignment (esp in the shoulder/neck/back areas) then use additional latex layers to help adjust alignment (in your case shoulder travel) and relieve pressure. Zoning of comfort and support layers is helpful in the situation where you can’t correct enough (usually alignment) with just add/changing layers.

[quote=“arc post=90765”]
2) Also, is there any place I can get this sort of thing on the east coast for cheaper/faster shipping? (and ideally potential returns if that doesn’t work?)

Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. I would hate to buy something that doesn’t work and send it to the landfill.[/quote]

I would suggest just going with the basic (un-zoned) pocket coil if you wanted to go that route. Zoning in the wrong areas can create additional problems that then need to be compensated for in the layers above. The primary downside to pocket coils is that they aren’t adjustable (too stiff or too soft) so if it doesn’t work for you then yes, they are going to the landfill. APM is the main supplier of DIY retail pocket coils in the US. APM used to allow returns (not sure now), but even then the pocket coils come vacuum/roll packed so getting it back into shippable condition is impossible.