White-duck-Down-Pillow-top-Feather-bed-Mattress-Topper.

Hi
I’m trying to find out what the consensus is on Duck feather toppers,
In theory they sound pretty good however practically speaking would they not just compress into a pancake eventually or do they fluff back up?
I’m looking at putting a topper on a Dunlop 11" latex hybrid/4"latex on 7" of poly.
At this point I’m researching for the new mattress that I have ordered as many of the reviewers love it but do claim it is quite firm and works well with a topper.
Why buy a firmer mattress than what I prefer you ask well I’m hoping that buying firm and latex will give me a mattress that will last for 20 years or more. Perhaps I’m dreaming and or don’t have enough information yet but anything will be better than the sagging $1500 Sealy I bought less than 10 years ago.
My other more likely option will be to buy a Talalay topper at about $450 for a king versus the down at 299

Hi jege41,

I don’t think that duck feathers would be my favorite topper material. Feathers are not as breathable as down and will break down more quickly as well. They can be good for some extra cushioning around pressure points or for hand feel or surface feel but they don’t really have the resilience or progressive resistance to pressure to provide overall pressure relief along the body surface. They do compress eventually but more important they compress to their maximum compression immediately under weight. I would think of them more as “padding” around pressure points rather than a pressure relieving layer that re-distributes weight over the sleeping surface of the mattress.

I think this is certainly true and a topper will also add to the comfort life of your mattress. A topper will also wear faster than the deeper layers of your mattress but it has the advantage of being replaceable without having to replace the entire mattress. The type of latex they use will also play a big role in its relative durability. It’s certainly a better and more durable choice than the typical “S” brand mattresses and the materials the tend to use in the comfort layers but 20 years may be a bit optimistic for a latex hybrid.

Phoenix