Why do most innerspring mattresses NOT have box springs?

Hey,

Ive been studying the ultra premium mattresses of Hastens and VISpring. I noticed that they all have box springs. The Sealy Posturepedic I slept on in 1990 had box springs. I bought my Tempurpedic Deluxe in 1998. It seems like after Tempurpedic came on the scene in 2000….they used a solid foundation without springs, the box spring disappeared.

1-Why did the box spring disappear?
2-Are there reasonably priced mattresses that come with box springs?
3-Is the box spring helpful in any way?
4-Are there any inner spring mattresses with box springs that can mimic Hastens and VISpring?

John

Hello!

They haven’t, however the rise in beds using materials like latex have shifted the need/demand for a box spring. Simply put, box springs don’t provide the type of rigid support needed for many newer foam and latex beds.

Yes, definitely, they’ll just likely be pillow top types or traditional innerspring mattresses.

Sure! They raise the bed to a comfortable height, help absorb impact, and add additional support to the mattress.

That’s a much larger question that would require a breakdown of mattress components based on the model of each mattress being considered, personal testing, etc.

NikkiTMU