Why do online mattress brands hide their factory identity?

I’m trying to find a good bed in a box style memory foam mattress for my studio apartment.
I really care about quality and the company behind it.

I’ve contacted Nectar, Tuft & Needle and others asking for their factory details, since a lot of reviews claim these are all made in the same factories. I didn’t get clear answers. Can anyone point me to the factory of the big online brands? I understand it might be just private label, but I would still like to know.

Thanks

Hi adamg,

In 2007 there were over 500 facilities manufacturing mattresses in the United States. I’m unsure of the number today, but it is still quite large. The International Sleep Products Association has a useful site for searching for companies who make mattresses and associated componentry. Manta has a listing here of some of the mattress manufacturers in the United States. Some larger mattress companies will show their licensees. Therapedic, for example, has a manufacturing location finder here. Some online companies employ different licensees to make a product, depending upon the geographic region for shipment, like Saatva here (they don’t list the actual locations). Other brands, like Sealy, own most of their own manufacturing facilities. Brooklyn Bedding probably has one of the larger and newer mattress manufacturing facilities that specializes primarily (but not exclusively) in online mattresses. I don’t maintain a complete listing of all the mattress manufacturers in the United States.

Many mattress manufacturing facilities will produce products for a variety of mattress companies, but this doesn’t mean that they are necessarily creating the exact same product with different labels, which is a common misconception. That happens more often when a facility is producing items of one brand and will place different labels or ticking on the same mattress to differentiate a product within a geographic region for comparison purposes (making it more difficult for consumers to cross-shop by model name) and to protect retailer margins.

If it’s part of your personal value equation to know where our mattress is manufactured, then you may or may not be able to find that information out online, and a mattress company might not choose to share that information if you phone them directly, although the information may be contained on their mattress law tags. I personally would have a greater concern with the materials used inside of the mattress, and the country of manufacture (both for the materials and the completed mattress), than knowing the specific facility, but there’s certainly no harm in asking.

Phoenix

Of course you are right that materials matter more, but when it’s made in China or by a very small company across the country it’s also disturbing. Some don’t keep an updated site, some don’t list everything.

Do Brooklyn Bedding manufacture only their own brand or do have other online brands using them?
I found your reseller Vs. manufacturer useful, but I would consider a reseller if I can trust their factory other than what they claim.

Any idea who’s behind mattresses like the Leesa, Nectar or Loom & Lead or Helix? These are on my shortlist, I used to have Tuft & Needle but after reading more here, decided not to go for them.

Hi adamg,

I’m in agreement with you about wanting to know of the origin of the foam, but the size of the facility has no bearing upon the quality of the product. There are small foam pourers and large foam pourers (manufacturers of the raw mattress materials), both capable of producing products of high and low quality. They are pouring their foams to the specifications of the mattress companies, so the quality of what they produce is often dictated by those demands. And some facilities are more consistent with what they supply, but overall size doesn’t dictate this. It would be more management, business philosophy, equipment, workforce and overall attention to detail.

The same can be said of fabricators – the facilities where the mattress materials are put together. Usually the foam pouring facilities, innerspring manufacturing facilities and the other mattress component facilities are separate from the licensees and fabrication facilities where the actual mattresses are assembled. Most of the licensees I spoke of in my earlier reply are simply assembly plants – putting all of the parts together for various clients.

I’ve always found a phone call to be the best way to acquire any additional information you desire in a timely manner. It is true that there are many companies, some quite large, who aren’t the most up-to-date with technology and web sites. Not only in the mattress industry, but in others as well.

Brooklyn Bedding is a fabricator of their own mattresses (i.e., manufacturer) in their facility in Arizona. They also are a fabricator of products for other mattress lines. I don’t have a current listing of all of the companies for whom they assemble mattresses, but a few that are well known would be R&S Mattress, DreamFoam Bedding and some Nest Bedding products.

I’m not sure what specifics you’re considering in order to “trust their factory”, but the quality/type of foam being used within the mattress (the density of the polyfoam or memory foam, the type of latex being used…) and the origin of the foam would be the most important things to know. Who is pouring the foam is generally not something mattress companies provide (they often change suppliers), and even if they did mention that their polyfoam was poured by FXI or Future Foam, as an example, it wouldn’t be a piece of information that would reflect upon the quality of the product (companies make their foams to suit their clients) and the layperson wouldn’t know the difference from one company to another. The same would apply for a fabrication facility where the item was assembled – you’d want to know the origin of assembly, but aside from that knowing if it was a small or large fabrication facility or the particular name of the facility would provide no meaningful information to the general public.

You can see some information about Leesa here. I don’t have information about where they currently secure their foam. Their mattresses are assembled in PA, IN and CA. In my earlier reply I mentioned that Nectar is assembled in the USA with componentry sourced from the USA and China, but they won’t say what is from where. DreamCloud, LLC seems to be affiliated with Nectar Sleep in some manner. Loom and Leaf is owned by Saatva and their mattresses are assembled at 19 different locations across the USA. I don’t know where they source their foam, but the foam is made in the USA. Helix mattresses are made in the USA of materials that are all produced in the USA. I have talked with the 3 founders of Helix Sleep and they consulted with a well known group of PHD’s and researchers in sleep ergonomics to design their mattress. A forum search on Helix will provide more information about them.

Phoenix