Why not buy a tempur mattress

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for making this awesome guide. I’ve learned a lot. I myself am looking at mattresses right now, due to frequent pain from lying on the bed I have now, typically in my shoulder area. I lie on my back and on the side, and am quite a bit broader in my shoulder area compared to my waits area. I’ve tested quite a few beds by now, and different kinds of mattresses. So far I really like waterbeds and the Tempur cloud, and right now my choice would be the tempur cloud. (This is only based on trying them in the store though, I don’t know how it would feel actually sleeping on these, but that doesn’t seem to be an option here, without buying them). Based on what the sales people tell me, these two kinds of beds are also the ones that offer maximal pressure relief…is that true?
My question is that you recommend to avoid tempur. I would like a more thorough answer as to why if you don’t mind? I live in Copenhagen, and have been in pretty much every bedding store in the city. Every sales person I’ve spoken with in the stores tells me that Tempur foam mattreses are the highest quality of foam mattresses. Yet you tell me to avoid them? Also, I know you recommend local dealers. Based on the fact that I seem to need a lot of pressure relief, do you know of any particular store/brand in my area that you would recommend me checking out? Because I myself have been unable to find many. Or maybe something online I should check out? Because I know of no foam mattresses, either locally or online that should be able to compete with tempur in terms of quality.

Another side question. I tried (just in the store) a soft, medium and firm latex mattress. I much preferred the soft one. Yet the salesperson told me that because I weigh 78 kg, I should never get a soft mattress - those are for people weighing less than 65 kg. What are your thoughts on that?

Kind regards

Andreas

I’m also starting to look at tempurpedic. The bed in a boxes are not working for me and I have been through many lol I can’t go with latex due to sensitivity
I have to sleep on something lol
right now I’m on a nectar and it’s surprisingly supportive and pressure relieving though I question how long it will last. With another 7 months of trial period I have time :slight_smile:

HI Berggren,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

All of the layers of a mattress work together to provide overall comfort and pressure relief, but memory foam and latex would be considered generally the most point elastic materials. Testing for comfort and pressure relief is described in a bit more detail here.

Your representation of my comments upon Tempurpedic aren’t quite accurate. You can perform a forum search on Tempurpedic (just click on the link) and it will bring up over 4000 mentions of them here on the forum, and if you look through those posts you will see I’m very consistent on my comments about them and provide the “more thorough” answer you desire. But to make things easier for you, here is a common reply I provide for consumers considering Tempurpedic:

Tempurpedic mattresses use good quality materials but as you know they are in much higher (and mostly unjustifiable) budget ranges and for most people they certainly wouldn’t be in the best “value” range compared to many other smaller manufacturers that use similar (or in some cases better) quality materials that are in much lower budget ranges. You can read more about Tempurpedic in general in posts #1 and #2 here.

The quality of their foams are generally good (they have started to use some lower density foams as compared to before and are not being as transparent as they were previously about foam densities), but their budget range is quite high, and there are other offerings here in North America, such as Novosbed or Christeli, who make a product using similar or higher density materials at prices that are more affordable.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

So I don’t recommend to “avoid” them specifically, but for people to make their own personal value equation, specifically with the price point they are offered at here in North America.

I’m sorry, but this site focuses on North America, so I have no site members or references for Copenhagen. Perhaps there are other site members here who are familiar with your area who can make a suggestion.

I’d refer you to the mattress shopping tutorial, which outlines all of the steps you’ll need to know in selecting a mattress, including how to evaluate materials for their applicability. You may also wish to look at The Five Steps To Finding Your Perfect Mattress here.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for the in depth answer Phoenix. It is much appreciated. Yes I had a feeling that the primary reason you recommend to “avoid” tempur (I’m just referring to this post: https://mattressunderground.com/our-articles/major-mattress-manufacturers-top-15.html) was value based. The post “Love affair with Tempurpedic???” was a great read too. I also had a feeling that most of the information I was looking for already was on the forum, there’s just so many posts! So sorry for asking for something that already was here :slight_smile:

Hi Berggren,

Yes, you are correct, it’s more of a value issue than quality of componentry, so hopefully you can find some options using similar materials in your area and then make some careful value comparisons and see what might work best for you (which very well may be a Tempurpedic). And no worries about finding exactly what you were looking for – there’s a lot of information here! Glad I could help with some direction.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
I think I am out of bed in a box options and am allergic to latex so I am going to lay on tempurpedic soon.
The 2 that were recommended on the phone was the Cloud supreme and the Contour rhapsody luxe.
Do you know specs for either of those?
Do you think the flex models are worth looking at? Aren’t those coils ?
Thanks!

Hi Ari,

You can go to Jordans.com web site and they actually have the current specifications you seek. And yes, the Tempur-Flex are innerspring products. Whether or not you would enjoy those would be up to your own personal testing, so you should be able to find a local retailer offering a selection of those to sample.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thank you!

Hi Ari,

You’re most welcome.

Phoenix

Hi Ari! What did you end up going with?

Edit: You answer this question in another thread. Congratulations on finding the right one!

Phoenix
Jordan’s no longer lists the densities of the foam, do you know why?

Hey Ari. In my relentless search last night, I stumbled upon a company called The Mattress Factory and they seem to have the density of the comfort layers, but not the base layers. Of course, there are no figures for the newer Adapt models, but all of the more recent older models are on there.

Hi Ari,

Thank you for that information about Jordan’s Furniture. Historically Jordans had listed all of the detailed specifications, and we are disappointed that they have changed this on all of their mattress products.

Of course, we don’t know the exact reasons Jordans changed their policy regarding product specifications. Generally speaking, there are a variety of reasons why retailers and manufacturers choose this direction; they have reduced specs and do not want to communicate this, some feel they do not want their competition to know these details, some may not want to answer consumers, etc.

Either way, it is another clear signal why consumers should use the TMU members to search and purchase a new mattress. We will continue to keep track of these trends and will be starting a new topic to track this data. Thank you again for the heads up.

Thanks,
Sensei

I found another website that lists the density specs for the Cloud and Contour series mattresses, though they don’t list the specs for the Breeze models. It’s mathisbrothers.com. The other site is that I mentioned earlier is themattressfactoryinc.com.

I was under the impressions that the Cloud Supreme had a 2" ES layer on top of a 2" Tempur layer, but that is for the Cloud Supreme Breeze. Seems the Cloud Supreme has always had a 1.2" ES layer and a 2.75" Tempur layer. The Mathis Brothers site helped a lot. The Mattress factory site was good as well, but included many breeze models and not the standard models.

Hope this helps folks!

yes thanks! My spec site stopped posting specs grrrr

Hahaha! I’m sure these sites will eventually stop posting them, especially as the models are phased out. It sucks to think that in the near future, it may become impossible for anyone to ever know what makes up a Tempur-Pedic mattress. Honestly, I may even give the Relief-Mart versions a shot in the future, just for being so forthcoming about their specs.

Hey 560andsising and Ari,

Thank you as always for the updates regarding specs, it will seem to continue to be up to the individual retail organizations to decide if they will update specs. The team at TMU is continually working on different formats to provide as many updated specs as possible…another reason we will continue to move as many people as possible toward our members. Thanks again.

Sensei

Well make sure whatever you buy has a return policy. You know In a week or 2 if something really sucks bad

Sensei, I’m more than happy to have helped out! It’s so exhausting trying to get concrete data from companies, so it’s good to have such info consolidated on a website!

Hey Ari! We’re gonna hold off on getting a new mattress, but will definitely be getting something with a return policy when we do purchase. Until we figure out our firmness preference, it will be wise to have recourse.