Wink Beds *PLUS* vs The Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex w/ Firm Feel

I’ve seen some discussion of Wink Beds here on the Simplified Choice Mattress thread, but I haven’t been able to find anything on the new “Plus” option they offer that is supposedly designed for heavier sleepers over 300 pounds. I’m only 205lbs myself, and at 6’6" that’s not a whole lot, but I really prefer a firmer mattress because I’m primarily a stomach sleeper. I absolutely cannot stand the feeling of sinking into my mattress. And the mattress I have now from Helix Sleep, while designed for my body type and preference for sleeping on my stomach, still allows my pelvis and hip area to sink in way too much to maintain a comfortable spinal alignment conducive to stomach sleeping. So I’m going to have to return it and get a new mattress.

I already know I want an online mattress with a good return policy so I don’t waste my money if I don’t like it. I know for sure I want an innerspring mattress or a hybrid mattress with some latex on top, because after sleeping on my mattress from Helix Sleep for quite a while I definitely prefer the feel of springs when it comes to primary base/ support layers. I also can’t stand the feel of memory foam… And I want a firm mattress that won’t let my pelvis or hips sink in too much. I’m looking for a mattress that feels like I’m sleeping ON it, not in it…if that makes any sense I guess.

Right now the online innerspring mattresses that meet these criteria that I’m aware of are Saatva, Wink Beds, and Nest Bedding’s Hybrid series. I’d also be open to trying the Q3 Latex Mattress also from Nest Beddding with blended latex in firm (is the price difference between the blended latex and the organic latex in this mattress worth paying extra? it seems like a lot…) too, but I’d prefer to try some innerspring mattresses first.

TL;DR: The mattresses I’m looking at trying first are the Wink Beds Plus and the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex in firm. To my eyes, their constructions seem remarkably similar. I know Nest Bedding is a member of the site and that means they don’t use any weak links in their construction so that’s what I’m leaning towards now, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the Wink Beds Plus option or has any opinions on its construction and how it compares to the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex.

Hi ghiggz,

I’m sorry your Helix mattress didn’t work out as well as you had hoped for your prone sleeping posture. :frowning: At least you did choose something with a good return policy.

Regarding the Winkbeds Plus, it has been discussed here previously, and the specifications are provided in this post. With your request for sleeping “on” the mattress versus “in”, you’d probably be more interested in their Firm option or the Plus. They rate their Firm actually a bit harder than the Plus model, so you may prefer that. I would definitely place a phone call with Winkbeds before making any decision to gather their opinion of which product they offer might potentially best suit your needs.

Regarding the Nest Bedding Latex Hybrid Firm, it uses the Leggett and Platt 5-zone Quantum Edge pocketed spring unit. The Winkbed uses a zoned pocketed spring unit with a polyfoam encasement edge system in the Firm and the Plus. On top of the Nest Bedding is 3" of firm Organic Dunlop latex, with wool and cotton quilted to the top panel. The Winkbed in the firm uses 1" of 1.5 lb 17 ILD polyfoam and 1" of 1.5 lb gel polyfoam at a 17 ILD, along with a micorcoil layer. So the padding layers between the two products are quite different.

The Nest Bedding Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress comes as a component-style system and can be had as a firm/medium option. It uses Dunlop latex that can be has blended or organic certified. There is a 6" piece of firm Dunlop and a 3" piece of soft Dunlop. For the “firm” comfort, you’d arrange the product with the 6" firm layer over the 3" soft layer. For the “medium” comfort, you’d reverse the layering order.

As for the blended versus GOLS certified choice, most people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

As for the Saatva, they make quite a few different mattress models. Specifications for some of them are provided in the simplified choice thread here.

I hope that information helps you clarify the construction of the products in question.

Phoenix

Thanks for the breakdown of the differences in the padding layers between the Wink Bed and the Nest Bedding Latex Hybrid Firm. Very much appreciated I guess my main question for you is how would these differences in the padding layers between the Wink Bed Plus and Nest Bedding Latex Hybrid firm affect the feel of the mattress for me as a stomach sleeper? On Wink Bed’s site, I’m seeing that they’re using 1" of an unspecified “proprietary hypersoft gel foam” and 2.5" of latex foam in the top padding layers instead of the micro-coil layer. Their site described the Plus as follows: “proprietary hypersoft and gel foam blend for cooling and a layer of latex for responsiveness and bounce. The support system utilizes a triple-zone pocketed coil system for deep support through the hips and midsection, enhanced edge supports so you can sleep all the way to the edge of your bed without sagging, and high density foams to ensure long term durability.”

Would you give the Nest Bedding Latex Hybrid firm the edge in terms of construction since it uses a five-zone pocketed coil system versus the Wink Bed Plus’s only triple zoned construction? And it also uses a full 3" of firm dunlop latex on top compared to the 2.5" of latex and 1" of hypersoft gel foam on top of the Wink Beds Plus. Would these differences give the Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex a firmer feel overall?

I did email Wink Beds to ask about the comparative firmness between their firm and “Plus” option and this was the response I received:

"For your body weight, the Plus is going to be the firmest mattress in our product line. Between the Firmer and the Plus, the difference is in the pillow top. Both beds are built with the same zoned coil system which provides extra mid-section support (great for stomach sleeping). The Plus bed uses a layer of latex foam in the pillow top, while the Firmer bed uses a layer of micro-coils. The latex foam has a firmer feel, is more supportive, and is more durable.

Based on your note, I would recommend the Plus bed for you over the Firmer."

And after double checking the portion of their site about the Plus, I found this note: “Plus is rated at 6.5 for sleepers over 300 pounds, will feel firmer for lower weight ranges.”

Hi ghiggz,

Unfortunately, there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for someone else to make specific suggestions based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful and objective testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) which is always the most reliable way to predict which mattress will be the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). There is a bit of general information about sleeping prone in this article, and choosing something in the “firmer” end of the spectrum for surface comfort certainly would be logical.

I already linked for you the specifications of the Plus model in the second paragraph of my initial reply to you. In case you missed that:

• 1" Hypersoft and gel foam blend 1.5lb density 17 ILD (polyfoam)
  • 2.5" C1 Mountain Top Latex which has an IFD/Density spec of 3.0 PCF and 12 IFD
  • 1" Lumbar Pad made from pre-compressed densified cotton.
  • Foam encased, individually wrapped, triple zone coil. A king has 1089 in this layer.
  • 2" Support foam 1.8LB density 28 ILD
  • -High density foam edge support 4.5 inch wide (1.8LB density and 65 ILD)

The innerspring unit is rarely the “weak link” within a mattress, and although I don’t have the complete specifics of the spring unit manufacturer for the Winkbeds mattress, it seems to be a good quality item. Some people, especially when used with a power foundation, do prefer the performance of the Quantum Edge system in the Nest Bedding versus the polyfoam system used in the Winkbed. The upper comfort layers in the Winkbed Plus mattress would be softer (all use a lower ILD) than using the firmer latex option in the Nest Bedding Latex Hybrid mattress.

Based upon the information provided to you from Winkbeds, it seems that they are recommending the Plus model for you, which is why it is always a good idea to contact them. I usually recommend a phone call versus email.

Phoenix