Wool Comforter - Seeking Help

I’m looking at buying a wool comforter soon to compliment my new mattress and platform bed. I’ve never owned a wool comforter before so any suggestions, insight, help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. The comforter I’ve been looking at possibly getting is from Frankenmuth Woolen Mill. I saw that they were mentioned on here years ago as a source for wool. Their actually local to where I live which I really like the idea of (only about an hour away) and they have been around for a really long time 127 yrs. Sounds like the wool is minimally processed – washed in 180 degree water, dried, then combed and processed with no chemicals or oils. Organic cotton. Sounds all very natural.

It appears that there is only one comforter weight to choose from though. I like sleeping cooler during both the winter/summer with the heat/ac on in the range of 64-70 degrees. Right now I just use organic cotton sheets along with polyester blankets (I know it’s bad). During the summer I usually just use sheets with one blanket, but during the winter time I usually have to use two poly blankets or I get too cold. Problem is with two polyester blankets I also get way too hot at times in the middle of the night. It’s a really hard balance in the winter time since polyester traps heat so much. So I’ve been looking for a high quality comforter that would be much more breathable and that wouldn’t get so hot during the winter. Hopefully one that is light enough so that I could just use it year round. I really like the idea that wool is naturally hypo-allergenic since I have horrible allergies to dust mites and they trigger my asthma. It says the double size has 3.5 lbs of wool. I know everyones body is so different in terms of how hot or cold they get. I just wonder if this would be considered a good year round comforter based on the weight of the wool or not?

My mattress size is a queen, but based on their sizing I could actually just go with the double size (81x90) as opposed to queen size (90x90) since my platform bed is lower to the ground and my mattress is only around 10" high. I figure it won’t be hanging so far down off the sides that way. I’m just really not sure about being able to find a cotton duvet cover in that size, which I figured I’ll probably need to get to keep it clean. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find good quality duvet covers that would fit some thing around those dimensions I would greatly appreciate it. I haven’t had much luck finding any thing close to that size. Usually their all around 90x90 full/queen size. If there isn’t very many options available out there on that sizing I might have to just move up and get a queen size instead I guess.

Thanks

You could always buy a larger duvet cover and take it to anyone with a sewing machine. They only have to stitch one long straight line to resize the duvet cover to make it smaller

Hi patrick222,

Yeah, that could be an option. The only person I know who has a sewing machine who could maybe do it woud be my mom. I’d have to run that by her to see if she thinks she could do it if I had to buy a larger duvet cover. Thanks for that suggestion.

I hope everyone and their families on here are having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I’m looking at the same comforter, what did you end up doing?