Wool or down comforters?

Hi Ari,

I’m sorry to hear that you were sensitive to the smell of the wool in your new comforter. I know how difficult it can be when you have extremely acute olfactory senses. There have been a couple of other examples on the forum (here and here and here) from some of the other members that were commenting about the smell of new wool in their mattress or protector. It does dissipate after it’s had a chance to air out for a few weeks and it’s a fairly common experience with wool that has had less processing. I’m glad Holy Lamb was honest with you that the smell would probably be there with other products they send you so that you can manage your expectations and decide this particular comforter isn’t for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
I am so disappointed , I waited anxiously for 2 weeks for this. Holy Lamb isn’t sure the smell will go away , they said it might or it might not lol
this is too expensive for me to take the chance. It’s not just that I don’t like the smell(smells oily) but it also triggered some minor allergic reactions. After a night in bed with it they could be major allergic reactions
I’m so sad about it …it’s in quarantine in the spare room now lol

Hi Ari,

Wool allergies or sensitivities are generally contact allergies or sensitivities and it would be unlikely that they would be an issue used in an encasement in a topper, but with your sensitivities it could be such that the odor alone is disagreeable to you and causing your discomfort. For some more information, there is more about wool allergies or sensitivities in post #2 here and in post #4 here. While the odor generally dissipates over time, there is no guarantee that what is bothering you will do so at such a level that you will eventually find it acceptable. People with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS) often, unfortunately, have similar issues.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!
I’ll check out the links. I’m leaning towards giving up on wool though some have mentioned the washable wool Comforters smell less.

Sorry to hear but certainly empathize with your sensitivities. I actually have a pretty sensitive nose and can say that I haven’t noticed any bothersome “barnyard” type smells (or others) with the Perfect Weight comforter I’ve been using the past couple years. There was an initial smell but after airing out the comforter a bit (which for me just means leaving it on the bed with no duvet cover for a few hours)- along with general use- there’s really nothing notable.

I actually just went and buried my nose in it with the duvet on and breathed in… if anything, just a light pleasant scent. Pulling back the duvet and doing the same thing with the bare comforter, maybe a light “natural” smell but not strong (IMO)… and I know exactly what you mean because I still haven’t taken the new lightweight version out of the box and could detect a stronger “natural” odor even through the box when it arrived, just like the Perfect Weight. That said, I understand if you’d rather not risk it. Also, in case you were wondering, the wool Holy Lamb uses is thoroughly washed and cleaned… they don’t use any harsh chemicals or methods but it is “clean”.

The Sleep & Beyond comforter I mentioned in an earlier post supposedly has any natural odors “processed out”, so it could be worth a look. I’m not positive but pretty sure that’s where Nest Bedding sources their Washable Wool Comforter, although a Queen is listed as 88" x 88" on the Nest site and 86 x 86 on Good Night Naturals. Regardless, even though Nest Bedding charges more for a Queen, I’m pretty sure they have a much better return policy than GNN, so you could essentially try it with no risk, which is not something a lot of companies offer with respect to bedding items (but would still suggest confirming with them). Both also seem to be very lightweight.

If you decide to avoid wool altogether, I recently came across the “Bamboo” products from Cariloha… they have a comforter that seems nice and are supposed to be coming out with new duvet covers (different colors, etc.) at some point in the summer. The bamboo viscose fabric and filling they use for the comforter is supposed to by hypoallergenic and have temperature regulating properties.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi Manimal!
I’m thinking possibly …alpaca?

Hmmm… I think with any animal fiber, you may be risking some natural odors. Additionally, Alpaca seems to have the reputation of being warmer than wool (though not as “heavy”)… and then there’s the cost… I’d be somewhat surprised if you could locate a genuine/good quality Alpaca comforter at a price equivalent to wool since Alpaca farms aren’t as common, at least in the U.S. (as far as I know).

I’d like to see what Phoenix thinks but if you’d rather not take the chance on wool and avoid potentially bothersome odors while sticking to more natural materials, there’s silk… but again, cost will be an issue there. Good quality bamboo/viscose products aren’t truly “natural”, but in my opinion they’re good enough and completely “safe”… bamboo is also very sustainable.

Yea I am not rushing into anything at this point though my husband is all into the alpaca idea, yet not so happy he is right now schlepping the wool to Ups to return lol

Hi Ari:

Alpacas of Montana has a good article comparing alpaca fleece versus sheep’s wool. Wikipedia has a good article here on Alpaca wool and TMASC who is one of the members here and are very knowledgeable about bedding also have some information about Alpaca on their site here as well (they carry Crescent Moon). It’s generally finer and lighter and warmer than many types of sheep’s wool and similar to Merino wool (which is a breed that produces a softer finer wool). It will tend to be less “lofty” than wool, and it is often blended with other fibers. Of course the overall warmth will be dependent upon the amount of fill in a comforter, but in a similar diameter fiber the alpaca will be more insulating that wool fiber.

If you are considering an alpaca comforter, you may wish to request a small sample of the fiber beforehand so you may gauge you potential reaction to the product before placing an order.

Hi Manimal,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your comforters/fibers as well! :cheer:

Phoenix

My pleasure Phoenix!
Ari- hope everything works out and will keep an eye out for further developments.
Best,
Manimal

You know my husband suggested getting the wool sample to decide on the loft I wanted. Nowhere on Holy lambs site did it suggest get the sample to see if you can stand the smell . I don’t think so anyway.
Not that I blame them but don’t label something hypoallergenic if it contains something that isn’t lol

I will surely be more careful Phoenix!

Manimal - ha ha …I will keep you posted! I am going through the links from Phoenix now

Hi Ari,

That’s always nice to check out, especially with a natural fiber product that isn’t readily available to sample.

On the Holy Lamb wool comforters page there are links for product samples as well as materials sensitivity kits. They also discuss allergies and chemical sensitivities on their FAQ page here. Most natural fiber companies will be able to send you out something to sample, even if it isn’t listed as they do on the Holy Lamb site.

Hypoallergenic only means “below normal or slightly allergenic” (there is no federal standard to what the term means). I can’t find anywhere on the Holy Lamb page for your comforter where they refer to it as being hypoallergenic, but I did find two places on their web site where they talk about the wool used in their mattresses and that wool is naturally hypoallergenic, which would be correct. People with sensitivities can still have a reaction to the product (like in cosmetics), which is one of the reasons they frequently discussing sensitivities and ordering samples on their site. It’s a common misconception that hypoallergenic means “non-allergenic” (I know, it can get confusing!). At least you have a frame of reference now and know from experience to try and get samples of any natural fiber you may be considering. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix
Honestly I never thought bedding would come with a smell, nor did I investigate it. My bad for not checking! I can’t wear perfume and am allergic to most moisturizers. You are correct about things being labeled hypoallergenic not meaning all that much - many facial moisturizers labeled hypoallergenic have gone right in the garbage. I can only use olive oil to moisturize my face.
Its crazy but my bed is memory foam and I’m fine with it lol go figure!

Hi Ari,

Sometimes these are things that you just can’t predict, and it’s as much about knowing what doesn’t work for you as what does.

Phoenix

Having decided all my lovely down/feather comforters and pillows might be contributing to allergy problems, I have cleared them out of my bedroom. Slept last night with a cotton/bamboo blanket and woke up cold a dozen times. The room was in the high 60s. Have decided that perhaps what I need is a wool comforter, but alas, I’m picky. Too old for the ‘princess and the pea’ scenario, but if one were to accuse me of that they wouldn’t be far wrong.

I’m looking for something without a strong, lingering smell. Needs to have a cotton sateen cover that is very soft. Would certainly prefer wool that can be washed.

I’ve seen some other threads here that mention wool comforters, but nothing that seems really current, so I’m wondering if anyone has bought a wool comforter in the past couple of years that sounds like what I’m looking for. Oh - and I do not want anything made in China, would prefer made in the US. And - like many others - my budget is far from unlimited, so a lovely comforter in the $500 range would be a waste of time to tell me about . . .

Hi Clawdia,

I have purchased several wool comforters this year — but not made in the US. Made in the UK by The Wool Room. They have both a “classic” (non-washable) and a “deluxe” (washable) wool comforter as well as alpaca comforters. I’ve purchased the classic and the deluxe and would highly recommend the deluxe. There is NO smell, it is very well made, comes in several thicknesses (including an “all-season” which has a light and medium weight comforter that snap together to create a heavy comforter), and the comforter is soft, warm, and flexible. The price, quality, and customer service are excellent. I’ve also purchased a wool blanket and some wooly bolas fill to make my own pillows. All my orders shipped out the day after order and I received them within 5 days, inclusive of ship date, via international FedEx. And with each order you get a code for 10% off the next one :wink:

Two other US places I was impressed with were Shepherd’s Dream (a trusted member of this forum) and Holy Lamb Organics. I didn’t buy comforters from them because, after my first purchase from Wool Room, I didn’t see any reason to spend twice as much. I did purchase a topper from Shepherd’s Dream, though, and it is top notch, and could be used as a comforter (1-1/2" thick). I tried out a comforter in a local store made by Holy Lamb Organics and it is high quality as well — just a bit firmer than I wanted. I think both of these places would be great to check out if your heart is set on “made in the USA”.

HTH.

Thanks for the input! I’m not so much set on made in the US as I am NOT made in China!

I have heard that the washable wool comforters (well, ‘heard’ at least since I started researching these a couple of days ago) have polyester - or at least ‘polymers’ - in them, while the non-washable ones are just wool. Do you notice any difference in how the non-washable comforter compares to the washable one, since it looks like you have both?

I would ask that question of a potential vendor for their particular product; the Wool Room is all wool with cotton casing, no polyester or other synthetics.

The difference between washable and non-washable wool is that the washable wool has already been washed so the agitation introduced during subsequent washing will not felt the wool. This process introduces chemicals to smooth the fiber and remove lanolin; the chemicals are removed as part of the final rinsing so nothing potentially toxic remains. This also can soften the wool a little too.

That said, I DO notice a difference between the Wool Room’s washable (deluxe) and non-washable (classic) comforters. The non-washable wool is slightly more dense, resulting in a firmer hand feel than the washable. I like soft and lofty, so I prefer the washed wool. I have the lightweight comforters, though, and can’t speak to the medium or heavier weights. If you are considering buying from them (hey! Black Friday!) you may want to read the comments/reviews for each product. There’s a lot of good information there about personal experience that may resonate with your own preferences or answer maintenance or other questions.

Bear in mind, too, with the washable comforter, wherever you wind up buying it, that, unless you have an industrial sized washing machine, you may not be able to wash it at home — these guys are bulky and need room to spin during washing. I take mine to the local laundromat where the machines are large enough to accommodate the bulk. I also use a cotton duvet cover that I can remove and wash, which means trips to the laundromat are not very frequent :wink: A fraction of the cost of dry cleaning, though, so well worth it!

I really appreciate all the information! I am most certainly looking at buying a comforter this weekend - either black Friday or cyber Monday - and had already been looking at the Wool Room.

I like soft and lofty too, for sure, and am used to knowing a comforter will require a trip to a laundromat since my down comforters did as well. My only concern about washing one would be where to hang to dry, since we don’t have a clothesline. The solution I’m pondering to that dilemma is . . . get my husband to put up a clothesline somewhere in the back yard! I just haven’t told him yet. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure whether to go with a light or medium weight comforter. Since winter here in southside Virginia isn’t often very severe, I’m leaning towards the lightweight since you can always add more warmth to covers, but sometimes adding less can be problematic.

Again, I really appreciate your input!