Wool or down comforters?

I don’t have a clothesline either. You can use “air dry” in the dryer (though it takes a long time!) — I like to pop it in the dryer on air dry to get the excess moisture out then I can drape it over some chairs (with towels underneath) inside the house or over lawn furniture outside in the sun. I think if you use a duvet cover you won’t have to wash very often, especially if you use a flat sheet between you and the (enclosed) comforter — then you have a couple of layers of cotton to absorb sweat or moisture that can be easily washed instead.

I agree! I like to layer because it gives more options. You could always consider that “all season” comforter they have too — it’s two comforters (light and medium I think) that snap together to create a thick comforter — so you could experiment and see what works best — or what works best at different times of year.

I’ll be interested to hear what you wind up with — and what you think of it!

I do wish manufacturers made separate pieces as full and queen instead of saying a comforter will fit both - I looked at the size of the Wool Room comforters, and they are small enough that I have to drag out my down comforter and duvet cover and measure them to see if this size will come close to fitting. My down comforter was a perfect fit for the duvet cover. Wool Room does have a good sale going on now. I’ll be sure and post what I end up with, and how it suits me!

Happy Thanksgiving. :slight_smile:

Bought a light wool comforter and wool mattress protector from The Wool Room - love both pieces! The light weight comforter is perfect for me in a bedroom that stays between 60-66 degrees. I did realize I could avoid the hassle of a duvet cover by simply triple sheeting my bed.

Also bought a pillow - not so much love for that, and wish I’d saved my money. The wool pillow is so hard - even after breaking up the wool inside - that it makes my ear hurt to try to lie on my side using the pillow. I think I’ll be using my LaNoodle pillows for the rest of my life.

So glad you are happy with their products! I have the lightweight comforter as well, and keep winter temps in the house between 62-65. Great idea to triple sheet the bed instead of using a duvet cover. I’ll have to give that a try.

Did you get the classic (non-washable) or deluxe (washable)? I have both, and recently washed the classic in Woolite in my front-loader washing machine and it only shrank about 1/2". Not sure how it would do with agitation in a top loader, but I was pleased to discover I COULD wash it.

I ordered some bags of the wool to stuff pillows with rather than buying the readymade pillow. I’m waiting on delivery of an order for some zippered pillowcases to put the wool in, but I can see where it might feel firm. I suspect it will take some adjustment to get the right consistency for comfort. I have a wool batted pillow (wool on one side, millet on the other), and it is soft but doesn’t have a lot of “give” so winds up feeling paradoxically firm. I prefer squishy so it will be interesting to see how the DIY pillows work out. I was thinking it might be an interesting experiment to mix some of the wool puffies with some shredded latex — it might give the resiliency along with the wool benefits.

I got the washable wool, and I really am very happy with the comforter. I really appreciate you steering me in this direction!

I prefer squishy pillows as well - went from down pillows to the LaNoodle pillows, and have now ended my search for anything better.

I’m glad you had success washing your wool comforter in your washing machine. Repeated washing will still mat the wool, of course depending on your particular front loader, some are stronger than others. The first time I machine washed my wool toppocino, all appeared fine. The second time, it was clearly thinner and firmer. The third time, it was felt. Now a topponcino is much smaller than a conforter so it bounces around more creating its own agitation, but still wool is wool and those microscopic barbs on the fibers will eventually twist together if the PH, agitation and heat are right.

Great information on follow-up washing. That’s very good to know!

I, too, find down comforters to be clammy. If you’re looking for a comforter, I recommend summer weight wool. I have a Frankenmuth, and it’s great…in Minnesota. A summer weight wool blanket is made by Holy Lamb Organics and several other companies. You might also purchase a wool blanket, which is cool and breathable.