Wool Top Layer vs. Gel Memory Foam on Pocketcoil Eurotop

I’m deliberating between a Sealy Posturpedic Reflex with a ‘Cooling’ Gel Memory Foam on the top layer and a
Kingdown Ford with Wool on the top layer. I tend to sleep hot. My concerns are: Will the wool matt? Is the gel actually ‘cooler’ as stated? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi barbara,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best choices … and avoid the worst ones. I personally wouldn’t consider either of the choices you are looking at or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality/durability of the materials that are inside it.

Wool batting will compress over time but how much will depend on the thickness of the wool batting, the type of wool, and how it is compressed or tufted. It would be reasonable to assume that it will compress about 30% of its thickness over time so thicker layers of wool will have more impressions than thinner layers but this is a normal part of how wool responds over time and isn’t a quality or performance issue.

There are many different types of gel materials and their effect on cooling will depend on the type of foam that the gel is added to and the type and percentage of gel that is added. Overall it will tend to have some effect when you first lie on it but once temperatures equalize, the foam (particularly memory foam) will once again become an insulating material so the effect of gel tends to be temporary and generally won’t last over the course of the night. There is more about the different types of gel materials and temperature regulating methods in post #9 here and post #2 here and the links it contains has a more detailed overview and information about the different types of gel materials.

Phoenix

thanks, Phoenix. It is a challenge out there!! Would you look at a pocketcoil at all?

Hi barbara,

Absolutely. Some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that could choose any type of mattress they wanted to prefer a pocket coil mattress … often with latex comfort layers … over any other type of mattress.

They can be a good choice for some people who prefer them as long as the comfort layers over the coils are good quality and durable materials.

Phoenix