Wool Topper vs Additional Latex Layer?

I am primarily a side sleeper, around 5 ft 10 and 185 lbs. Because of lower back issues I have slept on a firm mattress for many years, but I find that this has become much less comfortable for me.
In trying out a wide range of mattresses in stores I seem to find latex with a soft layer on top to be the most comfortable.
I went into a Healthy Choice Organic Mattress store near where I live and I found their 3x3 all Talalay Latex configuration of Very firm, Medium Firm, and a Soft top layer very comfortable. Adding a 3 inch wool topper that they had to this configuration was an incredibly comfortable and relaxing feeling.
I also went into Raymour and Flanigan to see if there was a more “traditional” type mattress that I would find comfortable. The only mattress that I liked there was the Augusta by Aireloom, which has 4 inches of plush (soft?) Talalay latex.
I would like to configure something close to what I’ve liked in stores from an online merchant such as Sleep EZ. I’m wondering if I would be better off going with a 10 inch mattress in the 3x3 configuration mentioned above and adding a high quality wool topper, or going with the 13 inch mattress and no topper. Or some other configuration, with or without the topper?
I’m trying to achieve the plush and very comfortable feeling without sacrificing the support that I need for my back.

Hello Bauces

Welcome, and thank you for the inquiry!

Based on the information you so kindly provided, I would agree that the 10" (three 3" layers) model would work absolutely fine for you. Three 3" layers of latex provides you with the perfect amount of foam to achieve contour on top, and gradual support below.
Based on your height and weight, if you are primarily a side and/or back sleeper, I would recommend either a Soft (19-20ILD) over Medium (30-32ILD) over Firm (37-40) or Medium over Medium over Firm configuration. If you prefer a more plush feel on top of your mattress, I would recommend the first (S/M/F) configuration. However if you prefer a slightly plush top with a more supportive overall feel, I would recommend that second configuration. We tend to recommend the M/M/F configuration for customers weighing between 190lbs and about 220lbs. And the S/M/F for those who weigh less than 190lbs. You are right at that “cut off” weight to where you could choose either configuration, and it should work fine for you.
Regardless of which configuration you choose to start with, I would recommend your top layer be Talalay, and your base layers can be either Talalay or Dunlop (your preference). Talalay is a bit softer and more contouring compared to that of the Dunlop latex, and therefore offers the perfect top layer for contour. Dunlop latex is a bit denser, and therefore makes for ideal support layers below. Simply put; the more Talalay layers you choose to go with, the softer the overall feel will be. And the more Dunlop layers you choose, the firmer.
We offer a 90-day comfort exchange guarantee with our Select Sleep models. This means that you can exchange any layer, one at a time, as many times as needed within your initial 90-day period, and the only cost to you are shipping charges. Your first exchange is a flat-rate shipping fee of $30. This covers both the shipping of your new layer, as well as the return of your unwanted layer.
Should you have any questions, or would like to discuss further, please don’t hesitate to call our office as well. We are open Monday thru Sunday, 10am to 6pm MST.
Thanks again! Feel free to come back and keep us posted with updates.

I have a similar question. Who would benefit from a 3x4 setup vs a 3x3? I’m looking for a plush setup that would still provide enough lower back support.

Some manufacturers suggest 3x4 for someone like me but I have a hard time understanding how that would work. I’m already on a very solid adjustable base. Is it simply personal preference?

A wool topper is a different feel than latex. Both the fabric that surrounds a wool topper and a the sheet of fibers themselves provide a fluffy, smooth sheet. Latex can absorb every single pressure point because of the way it compresses under pressure. A wool topper adds a tiny bit of tension because its fibers bend and stretch instead of compressing the same way as latex. Latex squishes and absorbs and wool softens and soothes. Obviously all their benefits are desirable, but the feel is different. I compare the softness of a wool topper to a medium (26-30 ILD) piece of latex.

A 3 x 4 setup gives you room for more plushness than 3 x 3. The deeper your configuration is, the softer it can be without losing support. 3 x 3 is certainly a common build though and not to be ignored as it is a good starting point for super soft. It is typically sufficient for most sleepers, but the sensitive sleepers, those who feel every curve of the mattress, may want more depth to accommodate their preferences.

Thanks for your input diynaturalbedding (Sleep EZ as well). You touched on something I was wondering, i.e. , whether a fourth layer might not allow for the plush feeling I like while having a very substantial base for support. Something along the lines of (from bottom to top) Very Firm, Firm (both in Dunlop) and Medium and Soft (both in all natural Talalay). Food for thought…

Hi Sleep EZ,

Considering ordering from you since you offer both dunlop and talalay.

I am a 145 lb (BMI 22) side sleeper who has significant shoulder and some hip pain when sleeping. I also have some lower back pain during the day.

I’m trying to find the plushest setup I can that will still offer enough support for my back.

I would have thought the S/M/F would be a good starting point but you suggested that for Bauces who is heavier than I am.

Would I benefit from a 4 layer setup? What would you recommend?

Hello Lotus14

Thank you for your inquiry. In most cases as it pertains to our company, we recommend the 13" (4 layer) mattress only when it is necessary, which would be for two reasons only; The first would be if the customer is heavier-set (like over 300lbs), and absolutely needs that much latex to achieve both contour and support. The second reason would be that the customer has a bed frame that requires a high-profile mattress. Other than that, we explain to our customers that either the 9" (one 2" and two 3") or the 10" (3x3) is more than enough latex to achieve contour and support.
We base our layer recommendations primarily on the customer’s height, weight and preferred sleeping positions. If you would like to provide this information, I will be happy to assist you in choosing a model and configuration that should work for you. If you prefer to do this by phone, you can reach us at 480-966-8731 Monday thru Sunday, 10am to 6pm MST.
I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks for the replies Sleep EZ and DIY Bedding.

Interesting that you give opposite reasons for going with 4 layers. Sleeping Organic also told me that they only suggest 4 layers for someone wanting extra plush. For my part I can’t understand why an extra bottom layer would add more support than a solid platform does, but then there’s an awful lot about mattresses I don’t understand!

I like DIY Bedding’s suggestion for 3 layers as a starting point. Question: what would tell me I would benefit from a 4th layer?

I am a 145 lb, 5’8" (BMI 22) side sleeper who has significant shoulder and some hip pain when sleeping. I also have some lower back pain during the day.

I’m trying to find the plushest setup I can that will still offer enough support for my back. I would not need to go to 13" just for the added height.

Thank you Lotus14 for the information. Based on the info you so kindly provided, the three layer model will be more than enough latex to achieve the level of comfort you will need. I would recommend a Soft (19-20ILD Talalay) over Medium (30-32ILD) over Firm (37-38ILD) configuration for you. At 145lbs your body will need the soft layer to achieve adequate contour, especially laying on your side, while the medium over firm below provides gradual support. Over many years we have found that this basic configuration is ideal, and has worked well for customers weighing under 185lbs. I would recommend the top layer be Talalay due to it being less dense, and therefore softer and more contouring than that of the Dunlop latex. Dunlop is ideal for support due to it being a heavier/denser and therefore firmer latex. Most of our customers choose to go with Talalay as their top layer, and Dunlop as their base layers. However, at your weight, Dunlop latex is not necessarily required to achieve support below, therefore you can go with either Talalay or Dunlop below and will have enough support either way.
Please feel free to call our office anytime should you have more questions or would like to discuss further. Thanks again for your inquiry!

Thanks for all your help Sleep EZ!

Thank you as well! We wish you happy sleeping!

Hi Sleep EZ,

Your ILDs look a bit firm (based on past experience) for me to go firm, med, soft.

Would a med dunlop, med dunlop or talalay, soft talalay work as well?

Hello Lotus

The standard Soft/Med/Firm configuration is ideal for most customers weighing under 180lbs that are side and/or back sleepers primarily. We get very few customers change it to an even softer configuration. With that said, soft over two mediums would be the next level softer overall. Of the customers that do change from s/m/f to s/m/m, most of them weigh less than 150lbs. This is because in most cases this configuration does not offer adequate support for those that weigh more than 150lbs.

If you do initially order Soft over Medium over Medium, I would recommend those medium layers be Dunlop. Dunlop is a bit denser and therefore firmer than Talalay, and would most likely be needed should you order no firm layers in your mattress.

Please keep us posted as to what you ultimately decide on. Don’t hesitate to call as well if you prefer to speak by phone. Thank you kindly!

Did you go to a Healthy Choice Mattress store in the NY area? It sounds like you tried out their Marigold mattress. I tried that one and loved it. It’s just so expensive!