WOW! Is it normal....

for a mattress maker to refuse to give you ILD information? I have requested it from the maker of a mattress I bought about two months ago and am not liking and they said that they don’t release this info as they don’t want others to copy their product! This seems very strange to me. From reading here, ILD seems to be universally supplied by most manufacturers. How can you really know how a mattress will wear if you don’t know ILDs? They have good warranty and also have Certi-Pur foams, but this really put me off. Am I wrong to be concerned about this?

Just a quick comment because I think it’s an important point. ILD simply refers to how hard the foam pushes back at a certain deflection (using a standard testing method). Durability is determined primarily by the density of the foam (usually given in lbs/ft3 or kgs/m3 (typically the heavier the foam the more durable it will be). I can understand the mattress makers not wanting to give out ILDs but they should at the very least be able to provide foam densities of each layer without providing any useful design details. If they don’t give this out either it would be highly suspect of what level of quality is being provided.

Thanks for your reply. It helped a lot. I tried to get densities from them and there has been no answer to my email.

Hi Greyling.

We do consider it a red flag when manufacturers withhold foam densities from consumers. They often hide behind their “secret formulas” when in reality, it’s an excuse not to admit they’re using low quality materials.

To quote our “great mattress outlet” article…

NikkiTMU

Thanks yet again for your reply. 24 hrs and still no answer to the density issue from the manufacturer. Not a good sign. I’ll be returning the mattress when I decide on a replacement. Wish I’d read your whole website before getting this mattress as it would have helped me avoid a lot of hassle!

Hello Greyling

Thank you for the inquiry. Our Sales men and women are more than happy to assist in answering any questions you may have about our products, including ILD ratings for our latex. I am not sure if it was SleepEZ that you contacted concerning this, but our ILD ratings are listed right on our website here: https://sleepez.com/pages/frequently-asked-questions/. Simply scroll down until you see the ‘About Mattress’ section. Once you are there, the second question under this heading lists our ILD ratings. They are as follows:

Soft – 19-22
Medium – 30-32
Firm – 37-40
X Firm - 44

Again, should you call or email SleepEZ, we are more than happy to answer any and all of your questions. Thanks again, we hope to hear from you soon!

Jeremy
480-966-8731

Hi Jeremy- It wasn’t you I contacted and I’m sorry if anyone got the impressions it was. I have seen that you post ILD ratings and are very transparent. The only thing I haven’t been able to find, and it may be I’m just missing it, on your site is density ratings for your various layers broken down by Talalay and Dunlop. That would help me make my decision!
Thanks so much. You guys have been very helpful and I’d call to just ask all these questions at once only I find I keep coming up with more so I’d have you on the phone when your time is precious.
Thanks!

Hello Greyling

Thanks again for the inquiries! I am happy to provide you with our Dunlop density ratings: Soft is 65, Medium is 75, Firm is 85 and Extra Firm is 95. Talalay is primarily rated based on ILD’s. Therefore when inquiring about Talalay, most retailers will provide you with ILD ratings.
Should you have further questions, please feel free to keep them coming! I hope your mattress shopping journey has been fruitful! Feel free to call our office any time as well.

Jeremy

Thank you.!

Greyling, it is my absolute pleasure! Please don’t hesitate to come back should you have more questions! Good luck with your mattress search!

Jeremy
480-966-8731