3 possible comfort layers: purple gel flex / pocketed microcoils / soft talalay

Hello. This site is GREAT. I’ve been a DIY mattress person for years and I’m ready for my next round. I’m tall & lean: my BMI is 20. Side sleeper. Painful pressure points at my hips. Don’t wanna be hot. I like being able to swap out layers as they wear out or my needs change.

Proposing:

Top layer 2" gelflex grid (aka buckling column gel) scavenged from a purple mattress
2nd layer 1" or 2" of pocketed micro-coils with ILD under 16
3rd layer 2" of Talalay latex with ILD under 19
Base layer of my too-firm (because old) 4" latex
Rigid but very breathable foundation

Question #1: If I deleted a layer, should it be layer 2 (micro-coils) or layer 3 (latex)?

Question #2: Will the gel flex (aka buckling column gel) be harmed being on top of pocketed micro-coils?

Question #3: Will the micro-coils damage the soft Talalay foam layer under them? Would a layer of canvas suffice to protect the foam layer? (But I donwanna create a hammock effect.)

Question #4: Pocketed micro-coils in a comfort layer to relieve my hip pressure points.
Option A says the “Sheet IFD is 18” and coil diameter is one third bigger.
Option B says the “Sheet IFD is 8” and coil diameter is about 75% of the other.
Which do you recommend?

Question #5: Any updates about where to buy pocketed micro-coils as a stand-alone component? Basilio recommended in May 2023: “I called and spoke with Steve at [Beloit Mattress Co] . . . and he said they can ship microcoil layers for a DIY project; they carry 1” Nanocoils as well as 2.4 Softek microcoils.

Question #6: I’ll skip the case completely, as I’ve done in the past. Any problems with that?

THANK YOU!
Jenna in Portland Oregon.

NOTES:
Leggett & Platt (wholesaler) offer 6 types of micro-coils.
Nano-coil Firm 1": Sheet IFD is 18. Queen coil count is about 1400.
Nano-coil Plush 1": Sheet IFD is 8. Queen coils count is about 1900.
Softech 1.6" (40mm):
Softech 2.4" (60mm):
Softech micro 1" (25mm):
Softech micro 1.2" (30mm):

strong text

Micro coils bring nothing to the table that latex doesn’t already have. They are also like an accordion and have to be glued in place which renders the layer below it useless if you have to replace it down the road. The gel won’t be harmed by the micro coils, it has its own durability issues. They will not harm the latex either. The Softech 2.4 coils would be the better choice but 3" of latex is the best choice. The only issue with the Softech is that they come from the factory about an inch short all the way around. At least the Leggett sample I received was that way.

1 Like

Is there some reason why you would want to scavenge that grid from a purple mattress, particularly if it is used (you did not mention if it was). How old is your base layer of 4" latex. It is not that it is a terrible thing to reuse old materials, particularly Talalay or Dunlop latex.

Latex does experience it’s share of wear and tear from use. You need to be certain that any layers of your mattress has not experience wear & tear and fatigue. Otherwise the results may be less than desirable for a project you are dedicating your time to.

Good luck with the project, just choose the layers wisely. One bad layer can lead to money pit of replacements, when you might have been able to go new from the start and have a dependable source for success.

Norm

Norm - Thanks for the wise caution. Seems my old latex (20 years) has gotten evenly hard / non-resilient, without hammocking etc. (I had cut it in quarters and rotated each piece 180 degrees.) If I’m right about that, I’m guessing it won’t undermine the layers above it, yes?

Yes the scavenged grid has been lightly used for about 3 years. I haven’t seen a source for purple grid as a stand-alone topper. Are there other similar gel grids that you recommend?

Jenna

1 Like

Thanks So Much! Micro-coils: I appreciate the heads up about the glue, and the reassurance about its effect on layers above & below.

Micro-coils seem to add even more coolness / air circulation (crucial because I lack AC).

Also I imagnine the micro-coils to be as contour-hugging as the latex, or even better. Yes?

And pocketed micro-coils seem better than latex regarding isolating & avoiding roll-together for two people. True?

Do you happen to know the ILD of the Softech 2.4 coils?
Would you supply a queen sheet of those? At what price?

Can I glue the micro-coils to a throw-away layer, to stabilize them horizontally, without affecting my outcomes? It’d be a bummer if whatever stiffness prevented the accordioning, would also rigidify my mattress?

The gel grid: what kind of durability can I expect from that? (It’s been used about 3 years already.)

1 Like

While there are grid materials available. I am a bad person to ask that question. :smirk: I am on the “gimmick” side of that discussion. I suppose you could buy a purple topper and use the grid or a sealy flex grid topper (if they make them). Or buy one on aliexpress Hyper Elastic Polymer Topper. It is just not my thing. Some folks like vanilla, some chocolate. You know how that goes.
My concern for you was mainly not to see you work hard to create your perfect mattress, put out the cash, and then one bad layer, spoils the bunch.
I have seen some of those purple layers after short periods of use, and they can wear down fairly quickly.
Purple Mattress Anatomy Look at about 3 minutes in. (less than 3 year old purple mattress)
I am all for experimenting. I just created my own pillow, but a mattress is a bigger undertaking.
My guess is purple and sealy have proprietary materials and I have not investigated that material enough to know if there are patent rights there. Perhaps one of our trusted members know that answer.
I suppose if you tried it and determined within the first month, if it is going to work out, you would not due much damage and just replace that layer with a nice latex layer.
I would be curious to know how it turns out though. Keep us in the loop. Perhaps you may create something unique!
norm

Latex is open cell foam and therefor great air circulation. Micro-coils are good for that as well. Nothing is better than latex for contouring to body curves and motion isolation. We don’t offer the Softech because of the sizing issue. You can glue the micro coils but it will change the feel depending on how firm the layer below is.

Hey Jenna! I actually came here seeking similar information regarding putting latex between micro pocketed coils and support coils and I’m curious what you decided to try since this was a few months ago.

I just got my 8” support coils and 3” comfort micro coils from TPS and 2” soft Dunlop from SOL. It’s still a bit too firm so I think we’re gonna try 3” of soft Dunlop but curious about tinkering w adding some latex between the two sets of coils. I’m trying to make as few returns as possible tho :grimacing:

Also, the Texas Pocket Spring coils don’t actually have to be glued down or glued to each other. They’re pretty sweet and I’m impressed w them so far. They have historically just worked with wholesale BUT thanks to the DIY peeps they have started to expand. For the one offs they do require, currently, we get their highest quality in any of their coils but they cost about the same as L&P products BUT shipping is quite costly. Mattress Makers on YouTube have a great video showing the difference between TPS and the L&P coils… they have transitioned to using TPS.