8" Pocketed Coil

I’m looking for an 8" pocketed coil with edge support. I noticed that Latex Mattress Factory only has a 6" pocketed coil. Do they no longer sell the 8"?

Hello and thank you so much for the inquiry! We’re mainly selling the 6" coils now, but we can order some 8" coils if you’d like. They would be the Ascension coils by Brooklyn Bedding, which is what our 6" coils are, just FYI. If you’d like to order the 8" coils, you can just order the 6" but mention in the “comments” section at checkout that you want them to be 8" coils and we’ll ship them accordingly. It might take a couple of extra days to ship.

Thank you! Can you tell me how much an 8" coil would be?

It’s the same as the cost of a 6", because our cost is just about the same for the two.

Awesome!

I think I’m close to determining the configuration that I want, but I’m not sure about some of the details. Perhaps you could give me some advice?

I am 175 lbs, 5’6" combination sleeper. I usually start on my side and will eventually end up on my back. I sleep hot and have some hip issues and my back frequently tightens up during the night. I also toss and turn due my shoulder hurting from sleeping on my side. This is all quite possibly due to the fact that the current mattress I’m sleeping on has broke down since it’s about 20 years old. I did put a 2" memory foam layer on top about a year ago. It might have helped a bit, but it’s definitely not helping now. I think I need a bit of a firmer mattress, or at least one with some support, but I want it soft enough to take the pressure off of my shoulders. I’m not a big fan of the memory foam as I don’t like the sinking feeling, the way it restricts movement and how much heat it creates. However, I might continue to use the top layer for a bit as I go through the process of building one.

Here’s what I am thinking from bottom up:

1" of HD foam on the bottom
8" of pocket coils
1" of either HD foam or medium Dunlop
2" of Medium Talalay (28 ILD)
2" of either soft Talalay (19 ILD) or reuse the memory foam
Bamboo/wool cover

I’m just not sure of the 2" Talalay and the 1" of either foam or Dunlop - would this be too soft and make me sink in too much?

I also thought of switching out the 8" coils with 6" and going with 3" layers of Talalay instead, but not sure how that would affect the feel. So, it would be:

1" HD foam
6" coils
1" HD Foam or Dunlop (medium)
3" medium Talalay
3" soft Talalay
bamboo/wool cover

Although I’d have no way of saying in advance which setup would be better, my thoughts are to go with the second setup but only 3" of medium Talalay for the top layer. It would save you money and it’s a more straight-forward setup with less variables, so it should be easier to get it dialed in.