Adjustable Beds Comparisons

thank i was using that and just finding it frustrating with all the rebranding and run around.

Is there a thread anywhere here that lays out what models are rebranded version of what? from what Iā€™m seeing it looks like some of the Serta ones are the Reverie, but its exhausting to figure out what is what!

Hi SleepOholic,

I donā€™t think itā€™s particularly worthwhile to try and figure out who makes which rebranded version and itā€™s a lot simpler just to make features vs price comparisons since they all have similar functions but for what itā€™s worth post #2 here includes a few of the common rebranded versions and Ergomotion makes the Simmons, Serta, and Pure Latex Bliss adjustable beds.

Phoenix

yeah i can see that way of thinking, your probably right.

i was more thinking once i found one or 2 models that i liked, it was helpful to know ā€œsisterā€ models, so i could see if one was a better price, more available or just in a better fabric for my tastes

side question, i know years ago you didnā€™t think L&P was a particular good value for the cost, in more current pricing, how to do compare then vs Reverie?

Hi SleepOholic,

I havenā€™t done the type of detailed comparisons that I would do if I had a specific intention of buying one since Iā€™ve already purchased my adjustable bed but Leggett & Platt has come out with many new models and I think that they are much more competitive now than they were when I purchased my adustable bed and they would be ā€œin the runningā€ if I was to make a purchase now.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

First post, so I first would like to say thanks for all the information. I am in the process of purchasing a mattress, which has resulted in my wife and I wanting an adjustable base.

Too many mattress choices, so I start at a local mattress store and learned about Temper Pedic, which I think I like but not sure about the cost. From your site I have learned about Brooklyn Bedding, which seems more in my piece range, but Iā€™m not sure if I can purchase a mattress without trying it. Also I learned about Latex instead of Memory Foam. Bottom line, I still need to do more research before I purchase a mattress.

However, I have found an adjustable base that I like and ready to purchase online. The Leggett and Platt Prodigy.

1. Am I dumb/crazy to purchase the base before I decide on a mattress?
  2. Anyone had any issues with Richmond Bedding? Spoke with Tim and seems really knowledgeable.
  3. Any other adjustable base that I should consider or at least research before purchasing.

If it is not crazy, I think I will purchase the adjustable base and spend another few weeks/months making sure I purchase the correct mattress.

Thanks!!

Hi msuclay,

Just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the best place to start your mattress research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices ā€¦ and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands). There is also more information that can help you compare latex to memory foam in post #2 here although in the end the the type of materials in a mattress you purchase is always a personal preference.

Not at all. All adjustable bases perform the same basic function and as long as you purchase a mattress that is flexible enough to be suitable for an adjustable base then buying the base first makes no difference.

I have also found Richmond Bedding to be knowledgeable and helpful about adjustable beds and they are one of the stores that I use for a ā€œvalue referenceā€ that are listed in post #6 here.

Buying an adjustable bed is more of a ā€œcommodityā€ purchase than a mattress because as long as the mattress you buy is suitable for an adjustable base then any adjustable base will work for that mattress. In general ā€¦ I would choose an adjustable bed based on a comparison of the features or ā€œbells and whistlesā€ it has that may be important to you vs the price (see post #2 here in this topic).

Phoenix

We purchased 2 of the Designer Series split king bases from Tim at Richmond Bedding last December and were happy with the purchase.
Unless you have a couple of strong young guys available, make sure you get the white glove delivery service. The bases are really, really heavy.

Here is my Amazon review of the Ergomotion 400 Queen non-split model, price paid was $1189 which included shipping.

I researched the Ergomotion 400, S-cape, and Reverie Deluxe as they were all in the similar price range. The Reverie had a few reviews on Amazon of which some complained about the motor. The S-cape had lots of good reviews so I called a dealer,who called me back and was very short and said heā€™d call back again when he had more time but I didnā€™t hear from him. I researched Synergy Health on the internet and found positive reviews so called and spoke with Greg who was very pleasant and helpful. Next I called Ergomotion based in California and the lady there was helpful as well and indicated the 20 year warranty covered everything to include the motors but you need to register it. Monday afternoon I went ahead and ordered directly from Greg and was expecting the bed in about a week to 10 days. Tuesday I get a call saying theyā€™d be delivering it on Wed. Turns out Ergomotion had a warehouse in Portland a few hours away. I didnā€™t order ā€œwhite gloveā€ service where they bring it in to your house and set it up so I had a friend there to help me. The truck arrived and 2 guys get it out and unboxed it and proceeded to carry it into the house and asked if Iā€™d like it setup to which I said sure. They set it all up and I tipped them as I wasnā€™t expecting that. When they left I looked at the receipt and it included ā€œwhite gloveā€ delivery and here I thought the delivery guys were just being nice. So Ergomotion or the seller included it at no additional charge, possibly due to delivery being much cheaper than if it were shipped a few states away.

Iā€™ve used the bed quite a few times and will give my first impressions of it though I donā€™t have another bed to compare it to. The head raised higher than Iā€™d like at the full setting to where the pillow fell to the middle of the bed, so goes plenty high enough at the head. The feet do not go so high which is fine. It is an odd sensation going from sitting up with feet raised to totally flat, itā€™s feels like your body is stretching as the bed goes flat. The bed can be ordered with 2 different size legs, I ordered it with the taller of the two options which made the bed about 2" higher than I had it with the non-adjustable frame. The wall-hugger really doesnā€™t keep you close to the night stand, but no adjustable can really do that due to the fact that as the bed rises it puts you above the night stand and about 6" or more in front of it (due to the angle and width of the mattress) which makes for a hard angle to reach anything. Still that is closer than the non-wall hugger typesā€¦

The vibration modes at the foot and head make a random tingly sensation adjustable with a low, medium, high. You can have just the feet or head on, or both. Itā€™ll go off by itself after awhile and also has a longer timer with 3 selections. Rising it up is nice to watch T.V. though canā€™t really snuggle with a partner as easily as lying down flat. My partner snores occasionally and I noticed that when she is lying on her back and I raise the bed just a bit she stops snoring. This didnā€™t work though when she snored while lying on her side.

There is a battery pack that takes 4 9 volt batteries that if the power goes out youā€™re supposed to unhook the power supply and plug in the battery pack and itā€™s supposed to allow the bed to go back down. The batteries will only last for that one use though. My mattress is a Tempurpedic with a softer foam topper that worked just fine on it. There is a large metal rod at the end of the frame that holds the mattress in place. I had to cut a long slit in the bed skirt in order to get it to go on and look normal but the slit is under the mattress and not noticeable. My son has a different brand, so once I try that out I can post more about the differences.

Btw - I like the simplicity & elegance of the remote with the large buttons, easy to figure out what to push without even looking at it. It has a Zero Gravity preset which basically raises the head and feet at a certain angle to minimize pressure points.

Note - I believe this model is being phased out sometime around Nov. 2014 as they have a new model coming out.

Hi wukong543,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about your Ergomotion 400 ā€¦ I appreciate it.

We also enjoy the ā€œstretchingā€ feeling that goes with lowering an adjustable bed as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I was recently looking at adjustable foundations, and itā€™s helpful to know that the wall-hugger functionality of the 5D doesnā€™t ensure that the night stand remains in the same position.

When I was shopping recently, Mattress Firm was telling me about the Tempur-pedic Premium Ergo adjustable foundation, and they stressed that this foundation does in fact glide forward and back as you rise/lower the head, so that your nightstand remains in the same position. This means that they claim when you rise your head, it slides back/up so that your nightstand remains to your side and you donā€™t have to reach behind you.

Wanted to mention this since others earlier mentioned that this is a small concern with the 5D. Of course the Premium Ergo is $3,800, where the 5D is 1/2 or even less of that price!

Hi bobby2478,

It would be interesting to compare the degree of travel between different wall hugger features between different brands (regardless of what a salesperson may say). All of them move the mattress backwards when they are raised but I would suspect that none of them remain in the same position relative to a night stand when you raise them and that this isnā€™t unique to Reverie (see here for a comment about the Ergomotion as well) but Iā€™ve never done any specific comparisons that compared and measured the degree of travel between the different wall hugger features (see here).

Phoenix

Definitely agree, can never just take what a salesperson says at face value. Would be interesting for some hard facts between different models to see if any are superior to others, or if they all fall in the same general range

Hi bobby2478,

I was curious so I decided to start a new topic here so the forum members that own different makes and models of adjustable beds can measure the amount of travel and we can all find out if some of them are better than others at keeping the occupant of the bed more even with their bedside table.

Phoenix

You had a lot better luck than I did with this issue.
I believe that if a twin XL has 4 corner brackets to hold the mattress in place that a split king should also. And they make the brackets for it but donā€™t include it with the split king.

I emailed the company and was told about the 24 dollar solution. Not only no offer to send it free but was told that it wasnā€™t really necessary for a split king. This defies logic. As far as Iā€™m concerned they should include the same brackets for the top of the mattress also.

The company could easily include the brackets in these kits, that little bracket is probably less than one dollar to make. Once they have your money they donā€™t care about you anymore.

If youā€™re going to get a split king, be sure to ask for the bracket that holds the two foundations together and the special mattress brackets before placing your order. I did get the bracket to HD the beds together because I was warned of this extra cost if you donā€™t.

So I want to pass on this advice to anyone, insist that they include the brackets for the mattresses as well. Iā€™m sure the platform is great. But this hassle is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

Hi Doggerz,

My understanding is that 8 corner brackets are included in a split king (4 with each twin XL) but that they donā€™t include the ā€œflatā€ replacement brackets for use with king or split king mattresses that are used together. I would agree with you that it would make much more sense to include all the hardware that a customer may need no matter how they choose to configure their adjustable bed and mattress(es). I also donā€™t understand why they suggest not installing an inside bracket for split king mattresses since they would be much more likely to shift without them.

Thanks for the comments.

Phoenix

The situation is getting worse. The first customer service person sent me up the line to someone else.

I offered to pay for the brackets. But I did say that itā€™s too bad for someone buying 2 split king sets that they canā€™t provide those since they provide working brackets for their other sizes.

She told me I was asking them to give me free accessories. The way I see it they are not accessories they are necessities.

Regardless I told them Iā€™d pay the whopping 48 dollars plus shipping. They said theyā€™d call back and get credit card information. That was Friday. Still havenā€™t heard a word back.

My bed platforms are in transit to be here by next Wednesday. I was hoping to have the brackets I need here at the house by the time it got here.

I was lucky in that the dealer I got the mattress from online sent me the connector bar for free. Thatā€™s the bar that holds the two twin xlā€™s an equal distance from each other. But he couldnā€™t help me with the brackets.

The people at Reverie were basically making fun of me that I want these brackets. Now I guess they are going to not even sell them to me.

Donā€™t know where else to get them so I guess I have to suffer with a slipping mattress or return the things and go with another company.

Hi Doggerz,

Thatā€™s very odd and I have no idea why they couldnā€™t just take your order on the phone.

I would guess that the message to call you back is lost in the system somewhere and I would probably call them back at the number in post #16 earlier in the topic and try again.

You can probably use the angled corner brackets that come with the bases temporarily until you can order the flat ones even though you wonā€™t be able to put the beds together right next to each other.

You can also order the flat retainer bar kit here although they are $29 instead of $24. (NOTE ADDED Sept 21, 2016 ā€¦ I noticed they are being sold for $19.99 here)

Phoenix

That is amazing! Thank you! What I love is how they say that itā€™s necessary when using split beds.

Thanks so much.

Hiā€¦do you remember who you price matched the Reverie against? Thanks!

Jeeman

I just bought the Reverie 7S split King I went through Amazon and chose Deal Beds as the seller for . $2,429.00. Mattress Firm also had it for the same amount, but with Deal Beds I didnā€™t have tax. Free shipping was offered with both vendors. I looked all around and couldnā€™t beat this price anywhere. I did look at the L&P Prodigy and Cape models, but I couldnā€™t find the split king models on Amazon and the split king at other dealers were more than the Reverie.

An additional note: I also bought two Twin XL Aria beds from Novosbed. I am hoping the beds are as good as everyone is claiming them to be. They certainly have the best warranty, as far as I can tell.

Thank you Mattress Underground for helping me make my final decisions.