Adjustable Beds Comparisons

The other half of my Reverie 5D split king showed up a couple of hours ago. The lady at Olejo who said she was going to take care of me comes back from vacation tomorrow so let’s see if she calls me.

On a different note Reverie has changed the design of the deluxe 5D a bit recently. Instead of having casters it now has legs that have 2 parts so you can pick from 3 different heights (the short legs, the longer legs, or both screwed together) and they also have rubber feet now for hard floors. They have also upgraded the appearance of the bases with a gray fabric and the bases now have corner supports instead of 1 support at the bottom.

Hi jermy4,

Thanks for the update and the picture … and it’s great to see you’ve received everything.

I like the look of the new model. It looks a lot more like the higher end 7S now.

Phoenix

One final update from adjustablebeds.org aka olejostores.com

I never did receive any sort of follow up call or anything so I emailed their customer service asking about what the very first customer service person had told me. When I called olejo on the phone when the delivery drivers were at my house with just 1 base the lady I spoke to said she would make it up to me and used an example of a 10% refund of my purchase price for the hassle. I didn’t write her name down because she told me should would call me back on Tuesday but that never happened.

After 6 emails back and forth over the last several days I got them to agree to the 10% refund this afternoon but only after complaining that I had to sleep on the floor for 5 days and also after turning down 2 free memory foam pillows or mattress pads.

The prices at Olejo are decent but if I had to do it all over again I don’t know that I would order from them even though after a price match adjustment and the 10% refund I only paid $1592 for a split king reverie deluxe 5D. I am however thrilled with the adjustable bases for the features that they have for the low price.

In the end the problem was with the delivery company that was used (non stop delivery) but it was Olejo’s choice to use this company, not mine.

Hi jermy4,

I can certainly understand your mixed feelings about your overall purchase given all the circumstances, time, and effort it took for what should have been a much more simple process but I’m glad to see that everything worked out well in the end.

Thanks again for taking the time to keep us up to date along the way and including the final resolution of all the issues you experienced … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I have been looking for a bed and mattress for some time. I finally found a bed I like and it was delivered two weeks ago. It is a platform bed. I would have liked to have gotten an adjustable bed but it was not in my budget. I have seen a remote controlled adjustable (inflatable) incline mattress wedge at Hammacher Schlemmer and wondered if Phoenix or anyone else had any experience with something like this?

Hi Doulas,

I don’t have any personal experience with an inflatable mattress wedge or its reliability but there are a few comments about inclined sleeping (which is different from systems that can raise the head and foot separately or have a zero gravity position) in this thread and there are some comments in post #57 here from one of the members here about using two wedges as an alternative to an adjustable bed that can raise both the head and feet into a zero gravity position.

I would make sure that your mattress is suitable for an adjustable bed and wouldn’t be damaged with bending and I would also be cautious about using a wedge that didn’t provide even and continuous support under the mattress (see this picture) but these concerns aside I think it can certainly be an economical alternative an adjustable bed for elevating the head and/or feet.

Phoenix

Please feel free to move this to another thread if you think it’s more appropriate. First off, a quick note of thanks to Phoenix and everyone on this forum who ask questions or provide the answers. I stumbled on this site after nearly buying an iComfort at Sleepys near my home. After researching everything, my wife and I decided to try a latex mattress. We live in Baltimore, so we ended up driving to Rockville, Md (about an hour away) to a Savvy Rest dealer. I had researched your members, and pretty much decided if we liked latex, I would give SleepEZ a call and talk to someone there. I thought I would want everything super duper extra firm due to back issues, but surprisingly, we both loved the Savvy Rest Serenity with the Talalay soft top with medium Dunlop and firm Dunlop. It got even more interesting when we laid on the Reverie 7s that they had on display. After initially thinking it was just a fancy type of recliner, I realized how important the way we actually USE our bed became. Between the zero G position, anti- snore ( I get bad acid reflux) and memory programming, I became a convert of adjustable beds. Soooooooo… Today I spoke with Shaun at SleepEZ and ordered two twin XL mattresses with soft Talalay, medium Dunlop, and firm Dunlop layers. SleepEZ currently offers 5% discount and two free latex pillows ( I chose shredded latex so we could adjust pillow thickness, but you could choose solid pillows as well) I also got an EXTRA 5% off for being a member of this forum. I didn’t feel we needed the Reverie 7s and would be happy with the 5d. Unfortunately SleepEZ doesn’t carry the Reverie 5D so i decided to roll the dice and ordered it from Olejo. It was priced the same as the Reverie 5 Deluxe and since it has the newer remote and upholstery it seemed like a good buy. A discount code for extra 5% popped up as well. I ordered it with optional white glove and mattress removal service. I contacted their customer service by email after I ordered it and described the problem jermy4 had with his order. Mika from customer service responded within 15 minutes and said she would notify the shippers and make sure they were aware. Got my fingers crossed, but I have to say Mika’s quick response gives me hope.

Hi Elseven,

I switched your post to a new topic with a more descriptive title so that others can find and benefit from your comments and experiences more easily.

As you know I think very highly of SleepEz and it sounds like you made some great choices. Congratulations on your new “sleeping system”.

I hope you also have the chance to share an update about your adjustable bed delivery and of course once you’ve had the chance to sleep on them for a bit as well.

Phoenix

UPDATE.
I received the Reverie 5D today and the delivery went very smoothly. Looking forward to sleeping on our new system.

I’m impressed with the quality of everything I purchased. Olejo and SleepEZ both did a great job getting their products to me. The Reverie foundation, BTW, has a really nice upholstered cover. One major thing I’m not happy with, though…

There seems to be a big difference between what my concept of the term “wall hugger” is, and the reality. I thought it meant that it will maintain the same distance from your nightstand as you elevate your head, much like a recliner. This is not the case. If you are in the fully elevated position your nightstand is not accessible, as you are positioned way in front of it. Additionally, if you have a split King so that you can use each side independently (like I do) and want to converse with your spouse, whoever is raised higher will have to turn around to talk to the person next to them. This is a real disappointment to me. Unfortunately Olejo’s website states “Adjustable Beds are considered final sale items”, so we"ll just have to make do.

Do L&P and Ergomotion have the same limitation? I think it’s an important feature to be aware of, if you’re shopping for an adjustable bed.

Hi Elseven,

Thanks for the update … and it’s good to see that you received your adjustable bed in good time.

As far as I know yes. Although I’ve never compared or measured the amount of movement on each of them, I know in my own case my Reverie frame moves about 7" towards the head of the bed with full elevation of the head. This still leaves a gap between the bed and the wall of just over 7" so “in theory” it could be designed to move a little more.

It would be interesting if some of the members here could measure the distance between the top corner of the bed and the wall at full elevation to see if there is any significant difference between them (NOTE ADDED" I’ve added a topic here with some measurements of the amount of travel between different wall hugger features)

The wall hugger feature certainly helps but as you mentioned it also doesn’t keep you right next to your nightstand either.

Phoenix

I was also disappointed in how the wall hugger feature worked on the reverie 5d. When my head is up my nightstand is behind me instead of beside me. You can see the frame moving when you elevate the head but like Phoenix said I guess it’s not enough. I attached a headboard to mine so it is even a little bit farther away from the wall by default. If you were just using the adjustable bases themselves as the bed it might not be quite as bad.

I read published reviews on L&P Prodigy, and evidently the owners have the same complaint about the nightstand, so I guess this is just the nature of the design of adjustable beds in general. My wife didn’t think it was a big deal, compared to the benefits.

Just a quick review of our first night. Fabulous. The SleepEZ system is really wonderful, great support and comfort. Excellent components, great mattress cover. We use Soft Talalay, Medium Dunlop, and Firm Dunlop on both sides. No smell in the bedroom. My wife commented she had no morning back pain for the first time in months. BTW, SleepEZ has a really informative video on their site showing how to assemble the mattress.

The Reverie 5D is a great unit, now that I understand the system’s limitations. Very well made. I spoke with the manufacturer about the wall hugger feature and the representative was very friendly. She called people who could check out all the models, just to make sure my system was moving the same distance as the other units, then called me back with the info. I could tell they were concerned with customer satisfaction. She registered my purchase for warranty while I was on the phone with her. All in all, it made a very positive impression on me. I slept in the Zero G position and it felt really great.

I installed the Naturepedic organic waterproof mattress protector, as we now have a one year old grandson who sometimes naps in the bed. Very happy with the purchase.

I went with the “consumer reports top pick” LLBean sheets that Jermy4 pointed at in a different post. They are a tad stiff but seem well made. Maybe with more washings they will soften a little. A great first set of sheets for our new system and we can always look for softer ones now that we have them.

You really won’t appreciate the smooth support of a total latex mattress until you actually sleep on one. I’ll update again in a few months. I expect our satisfaction to continue.

Thanks to Phoenix and Jermy4 for sharing their experiences and insight into this purchase. I wouldn’t have felt confident enough to spend this kind of money online without their help.

Hi Elseven,

Thanks for the update once again … we’ll see you in a few months :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Does anyone here have a easy to find list of what Adjustable beds are made in the USA, and if that is assembled or if the parts like the motors are made here?

Ive been working at being more aware of this, not that it is always a must have, but I’m having a hard time finding the info our on the various websites.
Its often easy to see where a company of from, but that is far from knowing where they get their motors for beds!

Hi SleepOholic,

I don’t know of any comparison charts and it can be a somewhat confusing topic because a product can be made in the US but still use imported parts or motors.

As far as I’m aware though Leggett & Platt and HSM Solutions (Hickory Springs) are both made in the US using American made parts and motors.

Phoenix

I think there is a glitch in the Reverie Split King design. This is essentially 2 Twin XLs placed against each other, allowing each person to adjust their side of the bed to their own position preference. The mattress retainer brackets are mounted on the outside corners only, leaving the inner mattress corners un-retained (if there is such a word). This means that when raising/lowering the mattress foot ends independently of each other, the mattress can slip on the foundation and ride up the outer bracket, making you feel like you are going to roll towards the split between both mattresses. This tends to happen in the extreme position, like when watching TV with your legs elevated, and then putting one side flat while the other is still elevated. I contacted Reverie and they are aware of the problem. They have an “optional” bracket for people who buy a Split King, cost of $24 plus shipping. $24 is a reasonably priced solution, but I do feel that this should be included when someone purchases the Split King, since it’s a necessary piece of hardware for the system to function properly. I contacted them with my thoughts on this and am curious to see how they respond.

UPDATE 10 minutes later :
Wow this company gets 5 Stars for customer care. They are shipping the bracket out to me free of charge.

Hi Elseven,

Thanks for your comments about the corner brackets. You are the first one on the forum that has brought up the issue and having a corner bracket on all four corners of each side certainly makes sense to me with a split mattress (I didn’t realize that the inner brackets weren’t shipped with the system).

I’m also impressed that they shipped you out the brackets so quickly and free as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix.

Just for the sake of clarification, the Reverie Split King ships as 2 Twin Xls with 4 corner brackets to each unit. The installation instructions state not to use the 4 inner brackets, as the design of the bracket prevents the mattresses being placed close to each other.

The optional retainer bracket corrects this issue.

Hi Elseven,

Do they also fit on the inside corners but just have a different design that doesn’t interfere with the positioning of the beds?

Phoenix

Yes, the bracket supports just the outer edge, similar to support brackets that mount in the middle.