Adjustable Beds Comparisons

Any reason I should hold off ordering the Reverie Essential Plus, even though I don’t have a mattress yet? Thankfully, there’s not a ton of choices in this department, and this model seems as good as any. I assume any mattress I get will work with it fine. (Oops. Unless for some reason I buy some sort of coil mattress again…hmm.)

Any recommendations for who to buy it, or not buy it, from?

Hi chip,

None that I can see.

I use the 3 retailers in post #6 of the thread we’re posting in as my “value” reference sources for different brands.

Phoenix

It occured to me that I’ve only tried out an adjustable bed in showroom setttings, without sheets and pillows and comforters involved. Very easy to get in a nice comfortable position with nothing in the way.

So how do those things effect the actual real-life experience of moving the head and feet up and down and working in bed with legs and head elevated, etc? Is it a big mess of pillows and balled up comforters etc? My regular bed is pretty messy as it is.

Truth be told, I’m more interested and hopeful about an adjustable bed helping my back and comfort issues than any matttress will. I spend many hours slouched not so comfortably or healthily positioned in a recliner working on my laptop or watching TV, and believe that causes more issues than sleeping does. I potentially see an adjustable bed bringing great benefit to me. If I can work and relax in a posturally helpful position, with legs up and back well aligned and supported, this could be a radical difference in my life. If so, the mattress would be the icing on the cake, not the whole cake itself.

Hi Chip,

I have never experienced anything “balling up” and in most cases everything moves together (except maybe the pillows).

I think it could certainly make a big difference. I know it does for us and we wouldn’t go back to the “propped up with pillows or on an elbow” days.

Phoenix

I went ahead and purchased the Reverie Essential Plus, with the gold White Glove delivery option. Should be here in 7 to 10 days. I will report back when I get it.

Chip, I also have been debating the Ergo 400, Reverie Deluxe and L&P S-cape. There is another bed that is called FLX6 that has also spiked my interest (have you considered that one?). Reverie is probably the one I will go with but a new 7s model that is furniture grade with wifi capability has just been introduced, although I can not find it being sold anywhere yet. Anyway, please do report back when you receive your Reverie and also give us your impressions of the “white glove” service as I am thinking of that (if they really do a good job of setting things up that is).

I ordered the Ergo 400 last week. I arranged for delivery Friday the 31st. Asked for my mattress to be delivered hopefully the same day. The Ergo appealed to me more than the Reverie. I will be back with a review, probably several.

Thanks, I will be looking forward to your review. Just out of curiosity, what made the Ergo 400 more appealing to you?

Yes, I have the same question. I forgot why I decided to go with the Reverie over that one.

I will report back when I the Reverie arrives, Milaqua. I was not aware of the model you mentioned, so didn’t consider it. I actually liked the fact that Reverie E Plus is wired instead of a wireless remote so I don’t have to hunt around for it as much as my other remotes, and had relatively few buttons on it. Seemed nice and simple.

To be honest the look got me. I don’t have a bedroom set to disguise the base, the price was basically the same in my size as the Reverie.

Hi Chirurgeon,

I have to say that in terms of “looks”, out of the three main adjustable bed manufacturers (Ergomotion, Reverie, Leggett & Plattt) that the Ergomotion is also my favorite.

Phoenix

And the delivery date I request just got moved. Instead of May 31, it’s tomorrow! And the room isn’t ready. It isn’t currently a bedroom. I need to move a few things out. Guess I’ll be busy the rest of today.

You know, that is part of the problem of ordering on-line. I have heard of so many horror stories of problems people encounter with third party shippers used by the bedding manufacturers. One company that I was looking at uses Manna shippers for their frames and set up. I researched this shipper and found many negative comments about them, including lost shipments, delays, little to no correspondence, not showing up on time, damaged goods, etc. Usually the manufacturer blames the shipper for not being careful and the shipper blames the manufacturer for not packing the product properly. The end result is the customer is caught in the middle. I know it does not happen often but from what I’ve read it happens often enough to be a concern.

I do not think a mattress that is all rolled up is going to be hurt by FedEx or UPS very much but these bed frames are where the problems are. So much so that I think I will buy my frame locally even though the selection is not great, I’ve got to pay tax and the cost is several hundred dollars higher than internet pricing. I have been researching the various adjustable bases and the best I can do locally is from a store Phoenix found in the Tyler, Tx. area called Denver Mattress. I went there today and spoke to a very nice guy who told me the Sealy, Serta and his house brand were all basically the Ergo model (300). I do not know the difference between the 300 and 400 but it could not lack many features from what he demonstrated. The only thing I would have liked was a wave massage rather than just foot and head but, from what I’ve read from others, this is not an often used feature once the novelty wears off.

The house brand Ergo 300 at Denver Mattress is several hundred dollars cheaper than the Sealy and Serta and their own employees set up the frame and haul off the old bed as well. I think that is pretty good and saves me a lot of work, not to mention taking a chance on some third party’s so called “white glove” service. I’m still getting my mattress at Brooklyn Bedding (10" all natural Latex) but I’m just a little scared of buying the base off the internet.

The adjustable base is here. The delivery team was quick and efficient. The base was a single unit sans the legs which screwed on in a flash. There are no castors but there are bottoms that slide easily over the floor. The mattress isn’t here yet, but it better to get this first. Can wait for the mattress delivery.

My adjustable bed arrived today, (as did my new mattress). The guys put it together as part of the ‘white glove delivery service’, though they were winging it a bit, clearly never having seen this model before. Didn’t seem that hard a job though. Anyone who’s slightly handy should be able to do it. A lot of it comes pre-assembled.

It’s the Reverie Essential Plus. And my first thought is a question I had early on: What makes an adjustable bed a “wall-hugger”? It’s certainly not hugging the wall in the upright position. In fact, it travels about 18 inches forward – towards my TV, away from the wall, and away from my nightstand. I could and will drop a pillow back in that gap.

I called the company, who assured this is indeed a wall-hugger unit. They said what ‘wall hugger’ really means is that’s it can fit inside a bedframe with headboard, and that it keeps you "closer’ to your nightstand than a non-wall hugger would.

I’m a bit disappointed. It would be nice if it had truly hugged the wall and kept me next to my nightstand and the wall. Basically, it’s the opposite of “wall-hugging”. Any thoughts on this Phoenix?

Other impressions: The fabric, and bed, and bedding, bunches up when inclined, and the company assured me this was unavoidable. Perhaps so, but still annoying. Yours bunches up too, Phoenix?

The head incline certainly goes high enough, but I do wish the foot incline went higher.

Too early to tell if this thing is going to be good for my back, or just a pain in the butt. Let me see how it goes.

Hi chip,

I’ve never tested the Essential so I don’t know how it compares to mine but a “wall hugger” moves backward as the head raises upwards to the highest levels so you can stay closer to your nightstand. It doesn’t keep the back of the unit or your mattress right against the wall though and my own also has quite a gap which I could easily drop a pillow into at its highest elevation (my gap from the top corner closest to the wall and the wall itself is about 8 or 9").

If you raise the bed you should be able to see it moving backwards as well.

Yes … it really is unavoidable when you bend something a thick as a mattress.

Phoenix

Doesn’t seem to move backwards at all. I’d say it leaves a gap of about 15 inches between the edge of the bed and the wall.

I guess my initial confusion about wall-hugging beds is now understandable.

Anyways, nothing to be done. Life will go on.

Hi chip,

It may be worthwhile to see if a local store carries the Essential so you can see how it compares to yours. It’s possible your bed isn’t functioning properly.

Phoenix

I don’t know of any stores that have it, though I know of one that has the tempurpedic adjustable.

I find it hard to imagine it’s not working correctly. It seems like it is. Also, if I measure from the very closest part of the bed in the inclined position (the bottom of it), it’s really only about a 10" difference, not 15". I really don’t see any backwards movement though. Just folds up. A lot of reaching back for stuff on the end table…

A bigger concern of mine is probably the lack of incline on the feet. Just wish it went higher. I think you said you estimated the incline of your feet in your zero gravity position as 30", and below the maximum incline?

When I look at pictures of fancy zero gravity chairs, it seems the feet look at a higher incline than that, and higher than the 39" ish degrees my bed supposedly goes.

Perhaps my bed is defective on that end as well, though I suspect it’s probably working properly. When I look at images of other adjustable beds online, I don’t see a big difference between any of them and mine when it comes to foot incline. It seems that the zero gravity chairs seem to generally go higher.

Here’s a video of an adjustable bed in action. I don’t know the brand, but it appears to be a wall-hugger design in that it could fit in an existing frame, correct? Now, as you watch when it inclines (around the 55 second mark), I don’t see any backwards movement at all, same as mine, which makes me think mine is indeed working properly. Am I missing something?