Adjustable Beds Comparisons

Hi chip,

If you put something on the mattress just below the bend where the head of your adjustable bed raises the mattress and then squat down beside the mattress and point to the item you put on the bed as you raise the head of the adjustable bed … you will see that the item you put there will move towards the head of the bed about 6" or so as the bed raised to its full height (it won’t move much when it first begins to raise up).

If your adjustable isn’t doing this then it either isn’t a wall hugger or the mechanism isn’t functioning properly.

The adjustable bed you linked isn’t a wall hugger.

Phoenix

I did the test you describe and didn’t see any movement.

My bed behaves pretty much like the one in the video. And according to the guy at Olejo I spoke to, the bed in the video would qualify as a wall-hugger because it appears it would work with any bed frame, no? And work in a “confined space”, which is another definition I saw.

Here’s another video of a bed that meets those guidelines, yet doesn’t go backwards as far as I can tell.

Can you find any good videos of the Reveries in action, or at least, a bed we know is wall-hugger?

Another test I did was to measure forward movement, and by that measure, the head moves 12" forward from the edgem of the nighstand in the most inclined position, so 12" of forward movement. Do you have much forward movement from your nightstand on yours?

Update: Just had a conversation with the warranty gal at Reverie. She indicated that there is some mechanical difference between the Essential Plus and the Deluxe. She called the deluxe a “wall-snuggler”, and said she had one herself. She seemed vague about how it moved in terms of forward/back, but she said her deluxe model definitely puts her forward of her nightstand a bit. But she really didn’t know much, and referred me to the sales department for further info, who is supposed to call me back…

If you look at the photos on the reverie.com website, the nightstand looks closer to those bed than mine.

I’m beginning to think that few of these people know anything in great detail about these products, and thus, the Olejo people call the essential a “wall-hugger” because it fits inside any frame, even if it doens’t quite behave that way, and may act differently than the Deluxe.

Another update:

I think I solved the mystery. In a nutshell, I was duped.

I just visited a sleepy’s. They had the Tempurpedic adjustable in both the wired version and the wireless remote version. These appeared to correspond to the Reverie Essential Plus and the Reverie Deluxe. (Both had that Reverie blue underneath them.) The Deluxe moves backwards and stays closer to the wall – a true wall hugger – and the wired version only moves up, and away from the wall, just like mine. Simple as that.

So basically Olejo – adjustablebeds.org – is lying both on their website, where they misleadingly bill the Plus as a “wall-hugger”, and in their previous conversation with me when they said the only difference between the Plus and Deluxe was wireless remote and massage. (I bet the Reverie folks weren’t much help to them.)

Any thoughts on what I should do now? I’m very annoyed. I may not have bought the bed had I known it wasn’t a wall-hugger… I guess the best I could hope for is that Olejo would agree to come and swap mine for a deluxe at no additional delivery or set-up charges? But They would probably still charge me the price difference, and of course, I’d have to wait for a week or two.

Any better deal I could likely get out of them since they basically used false advertising to sell this product?

Hi chip,

In my experience the people at Olejo are good people and I don’t think that they would knowingly misinform their customers. Besides … it makes no business sense to do so (unhappy customers are costly). I would always start off with giving a merchant that usually provides good information and service with the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions or accusing someone of lying. Somtimes people make honest mistakes.

I would phone them and ask what they think would be appropriate in your case because it does say on their site that the Reverie Essential is a wall hugger

Either it is and the mechanism isn’t working properly or it isn’t in which case they would likely be open to making an exchange (and would hopefully correct the information on their site).

I called Reverie a couple of days ago but they haven’t called me back so I don’t know for certain which it is.

Phoenix

I’m pretty certain my bed is different from yours, not defective. The test at Sleepy’s and the conversation with the lady at Reverie seemed to confirm as much. (Though she couldn’t really articulate the dfference beyond repeating some gibberish about the “C motor” or something.)

I don’t think the individuals employees are lying. I’m sure they are decent guys, they just have little familiarity with the details of the products they sell. Is it too much to ask that they spend about 2 minutes with the actual beds so they can learn the differences? It’s really not hard to see that they move differently and end up in very different positions in terms of the night table. One bed ends up in a convenient and aesthetically pleasing “wall-hugging” position, and the other leaves an ugly Grand Canyon back there.

Their website contains another error too, in that the manual for the Essential Plus the’ve atttached is actually the manual for an earlier version of the bed where the feet don’t move. (I had to go elsewhere just to see what the remote for the Plus looked like.) Not to mention these are the folks who couldn’t seem to agree on how high the feet go… Perhaps I should have heeded these warning signs.

So do I think it’s a conspiracy to defraud? Nah. I believe most people mean well. It’s just sloppy incompetence. Wouldn’t you say?

Before I ask them what is appropriate, I guess I should figure out what I want first. I mean, I doubt that they would agree to swap for a Deluxe at no additional charge, don’t you? If not, that leaves me the best case scenario as paying an extra 300 bucks (and no shipping charges) to buy a product I thought I was buying in the first place: a wall-hugging adjustable bed.

Hi chip,

The individuals are the business and they are the ones that control the website and what is said on the phone. If the business was lying then it would be the people there who were lying 9not the business) and I just don’t believe that this is the case.

The people that work there are actually much more knowledgeable than most of the stores you would normally deal with in the industry. They carry hundreds of products though and it can be easy to make a mistake with the details of a few of them. I don’t think that spending 2 minutes with every product they carry would provide them with all the information they would need to avoid any mistakes and yes I do think that asking for perfection from a store that carries hundreds of products would probably be too much to ask … even though of course it would be the ideal.

I don’t worry nearly as much about the mistakes people make if they have good intent and their history shows that mistakes are not the norm. What they do when a mistake is made and how they correct it is much more important to me.

IMO … mistakes don’t justify statements such as …

Both of these are about their intent and I don’t believe that they have any intent to “dupe” their customer or “lie” to them. It makes no business sense for reputable business people to do either. These types of statements in most cases are more of an emotional reaction to someone making a mistake in what they tell you or what is listed on a site that is understandably frustrating but i also think they are a mischaracterization of what actually happened. Nobody likes mistakes and they are frustrating but again… it’s what they do when a mistake is identified that is more important to me.

No … I don’t think it’s “sloppy incompetence” … I think it’s a mistake and how they fix it would be my criteria for “competence” and “service”. Sometimes the source of inaccurate listings is the distributor or manufacturer of the product which they rely on for information and it’s just not possible to check every detail of all the information that’s provided for hundreds of products.

That would probably be a good idea … and no I don’t think expecting them to swap for a Deluxe at no additional cost would be a reasonable request although some kind of discount (and making sure that the return process didn’t leave you out of pocket) would certainly be reasonable IMO.

I think that the first thing I would do is talk to them and see what they suggest.

Phoenix

PS: I did get a chance to talk with Reverie today about several things and as usual they were very open and helpful. They did confirm that the Essential Plus is not a wall hugger unit (it’s the only one that isn’t) and they would have their sales rep that works with Olejo contact them to have them correct the information on their site.

Wow. I’m surprised you are seem so defensive of such incompetence. This attitude of “Oh, it’s all a bunch of mistakes. They are nice guys, so get over it” is a bit annoying.

Let’s review all the “mistakes” you seem so untroubled by:

1. Different people told me different things about the height of the foot incline.

2. Employees at both Reverie and Olejo seemed unable to answer some basic questions about their own products. It was only through a third party website – this one – and my visit to Sleepy’s that I was able to learn the truth about how these beds actually work.

3. The Olejo website contains the wrong manual for this bed. I had to visit a different website to see what the remote looked like.

4. The same website says this unit is a “wall-hugger”. An employee at Olejo told me that before the purchase as well. It is not.

And probably one or two others I’m forgetting at the moment. Do you not understand that all this SLOPPY work has very irritating consequences? (Why do you object to that word, btw? Do you think their “mistakes” occured after they diligently studied their beds, manuals, and website for accuracy and detail, and thus it’s unfair to characterize all those errors as “sloppy”?)

I’m a pretty laid back customer in general. If a waitress brings me the wrong order, I say “no problem. Don’t worry about it”, and so on. People make mistakes all the time and it doesn’t bother me, because most of the time such mistakes don’t really matter mucha nd people are human. (As an example of what I’m like: My girlfriend honks angrily at people who commit road infractions on the road all the time, and I never do, telling her “what does it matter that they drifted a little bit or whatever? We weren’t in danger, and we’ve both made similar mistakes on the road. Relax and lay off the horn, darling”.)

But when a company’s representatives and literature leads me to purchase a huge piece of furntiture that occupies my room, and it’s not what they said it would be, why would I not be terribly annoyed at that? Maybe you like calling up companies and trying to arrange exchanges and deliveries of huge items and every atttendant hassle related to that, but I sure don’t.

Do you realize all the “good intentions” in the world mean little in such a case? I’ve still got a big headache on my hands.

Hi chip,

I think you may do well to read your initial posts and my reply another time because you are also misrepresenting what I said and “putting words in my mouth” that I didn’t write.

I have spent many hours talking to different retailers and manufacturers throughout the industry and I’m well aware of how easy it is to make mistakes and the consequences they can have. There is nobody denying that these mistakes are frustrating … no matter how small a percentage they may be … but my reply was speaking to the specific comments you made about being “duped” and being “lied to” which I don’t believe is the case and is more inflammatory than helpful or focused on resolving any problems you may have.

Of course I understand that the result of these mistakes are irritating and cause issues to both the customer and the retailer (not just to the customer). My point was that the mistakes are not one of intent (as you presented it when you used the terminology you did) and that in most cases their knowledge and service is above the norm in the industry.

It would be a good idea to read my replies a little more carefully before you misrepresent what I am saying as well. My goal is not to start a flame war or an argument … just to add a little more (or different) perspective to your original comments and to help you resolve the problem which is (or at least should be) the goal of everyone concerned.

If I was truly as “unconcerned” as you appear to think … I would ask yourself why I would call Reverie to find the correct and factual information and ask them to call Olejo to correct the listing (and their understanding of the product) as well.

None of this is to minimize your frustration … but your approach to resolving it and the accusations you are making in the process are the reason for my comments.

Phoenix

Why are you so focused on one or two words in an earlier post of mine when I went on to make very clear in subsequent posts that I did NOT think anyone was acting with ill intent? Maybe you’re the one who needs to read more carefully if you missed that.

My position is very clear. These people made a series of sloppy errors that resulted in a big headache for me. Your position seems to be this odd “but in your earlier post you used the word ‘duped’! I’m telling you these people are not evil, so please don’t label a series of mistakes as ‘sloppy’ work because they are fine folks!”

Hi chip,

[quote]I think I solved the mystery. In a nutshell, I was duped.

I just visited a sleepy’s. They had the Tempurpedic adjustable in both the wired version and the wireless remote version. These appeared to correspond to the Reverie Essential Plus and the Reverie Deluxe. (Both had that Reverie blue underneath them.) The Deluxe moves backwards and stays closer to the wall – a true wall hugger – and the wired version only moves up, and away from the wall, just like mine. Simple as that.

So basically Olejo – adjustablebeds.org – is lying both on their website, where they misleadingly bill the Plus as a “wall-hugger”, and in their previous conversation with me when they said the only difference between the Plus and Deluxe was wireless remote and massage. (I bet the Reverie folks weren’t much help to them.)[/quote]

If you read this quote dispassionately you will see the basis of my comments.

If you are saying that what you said here was a misrepresentation (or by your own definition a lie and by mine a mistake) … then we are in agreement and all that’s left is resolving your adjustable bed issue.

You are once again misrepresenting my position though if you are implying that these are my words …

You are certainly not taking responsibility for the words you use either in describing your situation or my own thoughts and comments or by characterizing your comments as being “just one or two words” without regard to context and tone or the impression they convey along with the rest of your comments.

The internet if full of consumers that take advantage of the opportunity that anonymity gives them to make unreasonable comments or accusations (explicit or implicit) about businesses that make mistakes or that minimize or downplay the meaning or effect of their words and who somehow feel that it’s OK to say anything that their emotional state or the inconvenience or frustration they are facing seems to justify.

I fully understand your frustration and your circumstances are unfortunate which is why I went to the trouble of finding out the facts for you.

What I don’t understand is your minimization or defense of your own words (and the permanent record they create on the internet) which were poorly chosen at best and at worst are misrepresentations themselves … just like the descriptions of your adjustable bed. Hopefully you too will see that you too have made a mistake in how you described the circumstances just like they made a mistake in their oral and written product description. We all need to be just as responsible and accountable for the words we write on a public forum as we expect others to be, including the businesses we deal with IMO.

I think that separating the product issues you have which are legitimate and need to be corrected and your characterization of the people at Olejo is important. One doesn’t have to justify the other.

Phoenix

Still obsessed on some words I used several posts ago instead of all my subsequent remarks, huh? Very bizarre.

Would it make you feel better if I hereby apologize for using the word “duped” and “lying” in my one of early posts? Fine. I’ll do that if you’ll acknowledge that a series of errors and misinformation on their websites and in phone conversations – not just one “mistake”, but several mistakes – certainly qualifies as sloppy incompetence by any objective measure. And that if I went overboard in my initial language to describe such sloppy work, you yourself went overboard in your defense of this sloppiness.

I think it’s a real problem when a consumer can get more accurate information from newbie Chip at MU about how these Reverie beds actually operate than they can by speaking to speaking to several long term employees at Olejo and Reverie and reading all the information posted on their websites. The mystery is why yourself don’t find that a real problem too, but would rather focus your attention on what words I used in an earlier post to describe the problem.

Hi Chip,

My “feelings” are not relevant here and quite frankly I appreciate the chance to have the discussion because the type of comments you have made are far too common on the internet IMO. My goal is to help educate and to broaden the context of the discussions here when members make unreasonable accusations that attack the character of other people or the businesses they run without justification rather than describing the issues they are having and working towards their resolution. While there are certainly widespread problems in the industry that need correcting … and I don’t think that mistakes are ever a good thing … “honest” mistakes are part of human nature and will always happen. The circumstances behind a mistake and what happens after a mistake is made are more important to me than the mistake itself. Perfection is an ideal to be worked towards … not a realistic expectation or a standard that can be used to judge the quality or integrity of any business.

Apologies that are conditional or dependent on other people’s actions are not apologies in my book … only negotiations. If you choose to apologize for something you have said or done that is your business but I would do it for your own sake not for mine and because you believe it’s the right thing to do. If I wish to revise something I have said or apologize for it, I will do so without making it dependent on what anyone else may choose to do and only because I believe it’s also the right thing to do. I certainly wouldn’t change anything for the purpose of “extracting” an apology from someone. There’s no point to this because they would both be hollow words.

I have already acknowledged the error on their site (on several occasions) and the oral descriptions they gave you based on their belief that it was correct. I don’t consider this to be “sloppiness” because it is a single mistaken belief repeated several times which if you think about it isn’t that uncommon and all of us do the same thing. We all repeat what we have come to believe until evidence shows us that we were wrong and that’s when mistakes are corrected (sometimes with the embarrassment that goes along with making a repeated mistake over time based on the same wrong belief). Sloppiness to me is a character trait involving a pattern of behaviour, not an instance, and my experience with them is that they are anything but “sloppy” in their normal day to day dealings with their customers. If what happened with you becomes a pattern then I would certainly revise my opinions.

Perhaps though instead of covering the same ground over and over again … we should focus on solving the real issue which is that your adjustable bed isn’t a wall hugger and you purchased it based on a description which said it was.

Have you called them to give them the chance to correct their error and if you have what was the result?

Phoenix

Still trying to deny their incompetence? Still trying to pass off the series of mistakes and ignorance of their own products as a single “mistake”? Very odd. Go back to my list of the several different errors they made (not all having to do with the wall-hugging definition) to refresh your memory of their sloppiness if you need to – the different numbers for the foot incline I was given, the claim that the only difference between the models was the massage and wireless features, the wrong manual included on the website…

I ask you again: Do you not find it troubling that I myself could give a consumer more meaningful information about how these beds actually move and the space they leave between the bed and wall, etc, than a consumer could learn by visiting two websites and speaking to several employees of Reverie and Olejo? It took me all of 3 minutes to acquire this superior base of knowledge. Press the remotes on each and bingo! The differences are obvious. No Phd required.

One suspects that if this were Sleepy’s, you’d be a lot less forgiving of such ignorance and sloppiness. Please don’t let your emotions and warm feelings for the Olejo folks cloud your judgement. You and your website lose credibility that way.

I did call Olejo. The fellow there said it was news to him that the Plus model is not a wall-hugger, and he would call Reverie on Monday and get back to me.

I am more confused than ever after reading all of this i need an adjustable bed i am 6’ 180 and my wife is 5’6 125 lbs we both suffer from neck, shoulder and back pain. I recently had 5 discs removed from my neck due to a car accident and spend a ton of time in bed. I dont want to purchase anything that their is a no return policy on. To me, with a bed, there is no way to tell if you made the right choice without having it in your home and sleeping on it for awhile. All the ones I have purchased before felt good for awhile.

I want to buy something that meets our needs and will last awhile. We both like mid level firmness, would like the back massage feature along with the adjustable head and feet to try to get the zero gravity effect.

I have had 22 surgeries in 5 years, have adhd and need help with reccomendations. I can’t read another page.

Also we are late 50’s. I can’t think of any other pertinent detail to add. Thanks for your help.

Ps I forgot to add our zip 95667 in case there are any places close by

Hi laurieb,

I would suggest treating your mattress purchase and the purchase of an adjustable bed as two completely separate purchases. The purchase of a mattress is a much more important part of the two because that the part’s of your sleeping system that needs to fit your individual needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). An adjustable bed is more of a commodity and it’s much easier to make objective comparisons between them based on the specific features you need or prefer. They will all have the same effect on how you sleep and perform the same basic functions under your mattress as far as elevating the head and feet (or putting you in a zero gravity position). The main difference between them is the different optional features they each have and the relative cost of those features.

To decide on a mattress the basic information and steps in the tutorial post are the most effective way I know to make the best possible mattress choice. Once you have decided on a mattress then you can compare different adjustable beds based on the features that are most important to you and on the relative cost of those features between different manufacturers.

There are too many variables, unknowns, and individual preferences involved for anyone to be able to choose a mattress for you out of the thousands that are available on the market so the goal is to help people with “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose.

With adjustable beds there are many less choices in the market and it’s a much more straightforward process of comparing different features vs cost and some of the links that are earlier in this thread will give you some good sources of information and some reference points for “good value”.

Phoenix

I have talked to my doctors and surgeon and they are recommending a medium firm memory foam bed. I have read about these and found the plant based memory foam to be the most recommended.I am not asking for you to choose a mattress for me. I have read all your stuff. Is there anywhere close to me 95667 that I can go to? I would have to read your articles many times as this is information overload in my condition.

I will do as you say and treat the two as seperate purchases. I spoke to Brooklyn bedding yesterday. They said I have to buy a mattress platform in addition to the mattress. They said my box springs wouldnt work. If I buy that platform then it will be no use once purchasing the adjustable bed frame, correct?

Thank you for your prompt reply. I hope that nobody else has to go what I am going through now. I need a new bed today but cannot make a living of studying your articles before we get some relief. Is there some things about the mattress purchase that you could help me with?

Thanks again,

Hi laurieb,

There are many “versions” of medium firm for the term itself to really have much meaning except in the most general sense because what feels “medium firm” to one person may feel very different to the next. These are just relative and overly generic terms. The goal of a mattress purchase is to find a mattress that provides you with good PPP. These types of recommendation are just “standard” suggestions that most doctors would make for almost every one of their patients and it’s unlikely that they would apply specifically to you any more or less than they would apply to almost anyone else.

If you plan to buy an adjustable bed then it would be fine as a support system under your mattress and you wouldn’t need to buy a foundation for your mattress. You would either need a foundation or an adjustable bed … not both.

Unfortunately the nature of a forum is that there is no other way to share ideas or suggestions other than through reading. If you follow the 5 steps in the tutorial post you will be fine and they include all the most important information about how to make your best choices. I would also suggest that it’s much more effective to read the suggestions and steps like you would a good book instead of studying them like you would a textbook. The goal is to know “just enough” to recognize when you are dealing with someone who is knowledgeable and transparent. Too little and too much information can both lead to poor choices.

As one example … the Tempurpedic Rhapsody is an example of what Tempurpedic calls “medium firm” but it may feel very different to you than a mattress that another manufacturer calls “medium firm”. If you test the Rhapsody and it feels suitable for you based on your testing then the tutorial post includes a link to a list of online memory foam dealers that make a memory foam mattress that uses the Rhapsody as a reference point and would be similar to the Rhapsody at a lower cost. Some people who were told to look for a “medium firm” mattress would not do well at all on the Rhapsody and may not like it at all while others may do very well and love how it feels.

In the same way … some people do well with memory foam and some don’t do well at all.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the general Sacramento area are listed in post #5 here.

Phoenix

Hello and thanks for your reply.I ended up choosing Brooklyn bedding. I am getting the 10" Total Latex with the number6 firmness. I spoke to Carlos for quite awhile. He is very nice and extremey knowledable. I explained my circumstances and he helped me choose what he felt would be best for me. I am also getting the S-Cape adjustable frame as my wife really likes the massage function.

This was a lot more than I wanted to spend but from the reviews I read they are great products, all 5 stars. I am praying we have the same experience. It is a best guess somewhat educated from reading your research but not being able to go see it and check it out. It is a leap of faith for me as it is a lot of money and am not a fan of the return policy if I guessed wrong. I did the best I could from researching on your site and Carlos was a pleasure to speak to. I will hold my breath until I receive it and try it out. I am really hoping the zero gravity is going to help at least reduce my pain.

Thanks for all your research and may God ricly bless you and yours!

Hi laurieb,

Congratulations on your new mattress … and adjustable bed :slight_smile:

Your mattress is certainly a good quality choice and you also have the option to change the comfort level if you need to which can be a very useful option with an online purchase if you need it.

I’m looking forward to your feedback and how you like the “feel” of latex when you receive it.

Phoenix

Tim from Richmond Bedding…

I “think” the question was referring to the mattresses that Leggett & Platt will ship with the purchase of an adjustable bed. And…yes… all the materials, layers and weights are listed for those mattresses.

The above response mentioning TheraPedic and Golden Mattresses refers to the beds I sell in my showroom in Richmond to local customers.

One other factor to consider during the purchase of an adjustable bed is future parts availability. I have decided to represent Leggett & Platt Exclusively for a lot of reasons but parts availability tipped the scales. I know that my customers who have a bed that is 10, 15 or 20 years old can call Leggett with their Serial Number and have a part on the way to their home the same day.

Also when you call Leggett you’re talking to a Customer Service Rep in either Carthage MO or Georgetown KY. Then someone can go to the warehouse, pull the part and drop it in a FedEx or UPS Package. You can also have the part over-nighted if you’re willing to pay the extra cost. AND…since they track each individual component in your bed by Serial Number at the date of manufacture you get the right part the first time.

This isn’t a commercial for my business or Leggett, just factors I think everyone should consider when making their Adjustable Bed decisions.