all natural latex mattresses

We are looking to replace our old innerspring king sized bed with an all natural latex mattress of Dunlop or Dunlop core with Talalay top. It should also have a wool, or some other fiber, breathable cover. Also, we’re looking for and ILD of 28-32. We’re considering Astrabeds and Plushbeds, but are open to other manufacturers that meet our specification. Any advice or input? So far, the best price we’ve found is about $3,000. We’d like to spend less than that.

Hi ameliasm,

Both Astrabeds and Plushbeds are heavily advertised online so there are many people that ask about them on the forum.

There are some comments about Astrabeds and some of their sister companies in post #2 here and in post #3 here and a forum search on Astrabeds (you can just click this) will bring up more information about them as well. They have recently introduced a new latex lineup that uses organic Dunlop latex and you can see some comments about them in posts #6 and #7 here).

You can see some comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here and a forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. I would keep in mind that their “sale” prices are always in effect so they would be their “regular” price not a “sale” price (see post #9 here) and I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other options that are available to you.

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

I would also be aware that mattresses don’t have ILD’s … only individual layers in a mattress … and ILD is also only one of several “specs” that can affect the softness/firmness of an individual layer or the mattress as a whole (see post #4 here). ILD ratings also aren’t easily comparable between different types and blends of latex (see post #6 here) so unless someone has a great deal of personal experience in testing a wide range of latex mattresses with different designs and layering combinations, using ILD information by itself to choose a mattress can often be more misleading than helpful.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here that may be helpful as well.

The tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering.

There may also be some good options available to you locally that you can test in person and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for your prompt reply, Phoenix

Hi ameliasm
You may check out Sleep EZ mattresses, (sleepez.com)Phoenix, Arizona. We purchased ours about three weeks ago from them after researching all kind of manufacturers and retailers for 4-5 months. Thank God I came across this website, the mattress underground!. Their prices seem to be the lowest for the same or better quality products. Especially you’d get more options with their mattresses. We bought our king size 9 inch organic mattress for less than $ 1900, without foundation and it came with two free king size pillows. Mattress came with his/her side configuration of three layers 100% botanic latex each side, so 6 individual latex pieces with different consistencies and types (dunlop/talalay). The mattress top is covered by organic Joma wool encased in organic cotton ocver. You can call them up and get help to configure the mattress you want… They have a A+ BBB rating, which is a good thing i guess. Hope this will help.