Any thoughts on this mattress? (Groupon)

Hi all and thank you for the help. I am just starting to look for a new mattress. My current one is almost 30 years old so I imagine anything would be better than that.I was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality of the mattress linked below, or direct me to something better in that price range. I am looking for a King mattress and box spring set.

Hi ced7390,

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it in “real life” and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability and PPP (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

As you can also see in the guidelines here … I would avoid the major brands such as Serta, Sealy, and Simmons and the stores that tend to focus on them along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the information you need about the type and quality of the materials inside it to make an informed choice (see this article) or any mattress that uses lower quality materials than the suggestions in the quality/durability guidelines here so you can avoid buying a mattress that will soften or break down and need to be replaced much too quickly relative to the price you paid.

In other words … it’s certainly not a mattress I would consider.

Phoenix