Anyone have experience with Aviya Mattress?

First of all, I would like to say hello! I don’t know any of you, but i’ve been reading through this forum for about a month and you all have already been a tremendous help.

I’m in the process of purchasing my first mattress as “an adult”. I’m most likely looking for a Queen, although my dream is to have a King, i’m not sure it makes sense in my current apartment :frowning:

Anyways, I’ve been doing a lot of research, including lurking on this forum, and I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to a Simmons Beauty Rest Audrina Luxury Firm or an Aviya Luxury Firm. ( http://www.aviyamattress.com/products/luxury-queen-mattress )
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: beautyrest.com/Recharge/Audrina-Luxury-Firm

To be honest, I’m very heavily leaning towards the Aviya, mainly bc of their direct-to-consumer model . Not only is the price a bit lower than the Audrina, but I imagine more of the cost goes into actually making the mattress since they don’t have the overheads of the bigger companies. But the downside is obviously, Aviya seems to be a relatively new company, and I haven’t actually talked to anyone who owns an Aviya (besides the girl on the phone from Aviya, who while being quite helpful was certainly biased).

So, I’m looking for someone that owns an Aviya Mattress, and could answer a few questions: I’ve found a few posts searching through this forum but nothing super recent.

My biggest problem with my current mattress is that it sags in the middle. It’s obnoxious and I wake up sunken into the center with all sorts of back problems. It’s really becoming a problem, so I will be ordering a mattress one way or another sometime in the next few weeks - I’m just not sure from who!

One of the most appealing things to me about the Aviya is that in addition to a 100 night trial, they offer a pretty strong warranty, especially for sagging. I guess what I’m really looking for is someone to post and say that they own an Aviya and that they are satisfied with it. I know even a crappy mattress probably won’t sag for at least a year, but I’m looking for someone that can testify to the feel and quality of this bed. In other words, if you own an Aviya, do you feel like it truly won’t be sagging any time soon as their website promises?

Are there any other mattresses you guys think I should consider? My budget is ~$1,000 and ideally that would include the box spring. I’m mainly looking for a luxurious but affordable traditional (innersprings of some kind - not all foam) mattress with a strong warranty, especially for sagging. I was looking at Saatva too, this might sound like a stupid reason to not buy a mattress, but I just don’t like the name “saatva”. it just looks like an acronym for some weird association or a typo to me :slight_smile:

Hi patrick042,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: beautyrest.com/Recharge/Audrina-Luxury-Firm

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

You can read a few comments about the quality and durability of the materials in the Aviya mattress in post #25 here along with post #6 here.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Their warranty is fairly standard in the industry and isn’t anything special but mattress warranties only cover defects in the materials or construction of a mattress and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or when you may need to replace it and longer warranties are more about marketing than anything else. If there is an actual defect in the material it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress are a much more reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

Again … you can’t “feel” the quality or durability of a mattress and the only reliable way to be able to assess the durability of a mattress is based on the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it.

If you are considering online options that you can’t test in person before a purchase then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses that use different materials and components in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be well worth considering.

There may also be some good options available to you locally that you can test in person and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Wow thank you SO much for the thoughtful and informative reply. I’ve read through a lot of the information you supplied and it is a big help. Pretty damn overwhelming but I’m really glad a site like this exists. The mattress industry as it has been operating is just unbelievably “corrupt” for a lack of a better term. I suppose it could be worse, but I’m glad that these online companies are shifting the model to a more consumer-friendly one.

Anyhow, I actually did end up pulling the trigger on an Aviya after calling them and talking to a girl (allison?) for awhile, she really made me confident to order. With 100 nights to decide and a complete refund, I figured why not, since I had some extra credit available on an old credit card I never use anyway.

I’ll let you guys know how it works out for me. Thanks again for your post!

One last point about their warranty - while i understand most warranties across the board are fairly standard, their 1" depth for sagging seemed a lot better than some of the others I had. Many protect against only 1.5" or 2" impressions, i feel like it being just an inch will offer more protection, I guess I could be wrong. You really never know how strong a warranty is, for any product, until you actually try and file a claim I suppose…

Thanks again …

Hi patrick042385,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Warranties only cover manufacturing defects and don’t cover foam softening or “virtual impressions” and the gradual loss of comfort and support under the heavier parts of the body over time which is the most likely reason that you would need to replace a mattress. If a mattress uses good quality materials then foam softening and the loss of comfort and support would be much more likely than visible impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusion. Having said that … your mattress uses good quality materials that meet the durability guidelines for a BMI range that is under 30 so as long as you are in a suitable BMI range then in terms of durability your mattress would certainly be a suitable choice.

Phoenix

I’m just curious how you’re liking the mattress and if you kept it. I’ve been on the hunt for a while and this seems like an interesting option. Thanks!

Hi poetailor,

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

With that being said, I always am interested in feedback from members of the site and I too hope that patrick042385 will post back sometime with how things worked out.

Phoenix