Anyone heard of Sleep-Designs out of Houston? Advice needed as well...

First post, buying new mattress for first time, had no idea what I was getting into lol.

Started out at a couple of the mattress chain stores (mattress firm/sleep experts) and within our budget of around $800 for a queen set we liked the Simmons/Beautyrest Recharge in one of their luxury firm models, called the Inwood plush at sleep experts and the Mitzi at mattress firm. We slept on a memory foam mattress at a friends house last year and burned alive it was so hot and didn’t care for the way it felt. The mattresses we have been drawn to are innerspring models with a few layers of varying foam on top, in a slightly firmer feel.

After I checked out the usual suspects I found a local mattress shop in our susburban city center with a good mix of higher end and organic mattresses with some US made quality innersprings in our price range. The one we liked was a brand called Sleep-Design made here in Texas, model is a Dawson luxury firm. The queen has 884 pocket coils in 5 zones, a mix of 13 and 15 gage coils, gel thermo quilting and HD plush foam. Stats look better than the 800 coil 15 ga model from simmons, and its about $100 less than the simmons recharge with an almost identical initial feel.

The salesman at the local independent shop was very helpful, extremely knowledgable about everything in his inventory, and was low pressure. Our suburb of Dallas has (2) mattress firms, a sleep experts, and another couple of chain mattress stores yet this quality independent has been in business for over 12 years and does a solid business. The Sleep-Design mattress has a 10 yr M/P warranty.

Couple of quick questions…
-Knowing what we have narrowed our choices down to, is there anything else I should look at?

-Am I right to value the 10% more springs and varying gages in zones that is in the structure of the Sleep-Design mattress?

-And has anyone dealt with Sleep-Design, are they a quality mattress?

Hi madsedan,

You may have read it already but just in case you haven’t … the first place to start your mattress research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Yes … they are a wholesale manufacturer that sells their mattresses through retail stores and you can read a little more about them in post #2 here.

Post #4 here includes a list of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Dallas/Ft Worth area subject to the guidelines in post #13 here which has more information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses. .

Outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as the quality of its construction and the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer who makes it and I would always make sure that you know the specifics of all the materials inside a mattress so you can identify any weak links in the mattress. I’d also be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside the mattress if you can find out the information listed in this article and post it on the forum.

As you can see in this article … I would avoid the major brands such as Simmons completely regardless of how they may feel on a showroom floor.

I would avoid coil counting as a way to determine the quality or value of a mattress because an innerspring isn’t normally the weak link in a mattress and the number of coils is only one of many factors that determines how an innerspring will feel and perform inside a specific mattress and can be more misleading than helpful. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here. I would pay much more attention to your own careful and objective testing which will tell you how the innerspring performs in combination with the other layers and materials in a mattress and to the quality of the materials above the innerspring which is normally the weakest link in a mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks man, I’ll read up some more before posting back in this thread!