Are there any places online that sell sheets of super soft polyfoam?

I am a couple weeks into my trial of the Novosbed although I wouldn’t mind a little bit more softness. I know Novosbed has their comfort+ kit but I realized the current cover is stretchy enough that I can probably fit a 1/2" sheet of foam under the cover and still close it. I see FoambyMail sells super soft polyfoam in a 1" thickness but I can’t find anyone that does 1/2". FBM offered to cut it for me but the cost would have ended up being over $70. The 1" might fit too but wouldn’t want to try and get that much foam under this cover plus I don’t want to lose too much of the memory foam properties either. Any ideas where to look would be appreciated.

Hi zexpress,

If you look under the polyfoam section of the component thread here, you’ll see some good options of which I am aware for polyfoam. I went to a few of their sites and it allowed me to enter thicknesses of .5", but I would advise a phone call to any company you might be considering, as you are requesting a very thin piece of foam.

If you are considering ordering from Foambymail (AKA FBM or Foam Factory and other names as well) then I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything or considering them as a reliable supplier that provides accurate information about their foam products.

Phoenix

Thanks so much, figured there must be other places! I will reach out to them next week but it looks like I have some options. Novosbed claims their soft comfort+ topper has an ILD of 9 although I was under the impression 10 was the lowest possible number? It looks like most of these vendors list an ILD of 18 as the lowest offered. Would that be soft enough to function as a slightly soft buffer between me and the memory foam in my Novosbed without interfering too much with the memory foam properties?

Hi zexpress,

I’m not aware of the specific IFDs of the polyfoam in the two different Comfort+ systems (I know there was a post a few years ago claiming the memory foam was 9 or 11 IFD in their Classic II mattress), but adding only.5" of a lower IFD polyfoam shouldn’t impact the feel of the memory foam below much, as the polyfoam in the 2" Comfort+ system is designed to provide extra softness but not take away from the memory foam properties of the mattress, and an extra .5" shouldn’t change that too much (you may recall Sam from Novosbed speaking a bit about this to you in a previous reply here).

Phoenix

Wow blast from the past! I guess I was having the same thoughts a year ago when I first considered buying the Novosbed. Considering how much I’ve been liking the Novosbed so far I wish I had gone through with buying it then instead of my further failed mattresses from Brentwood Home. Maybe I will just wait til I hit 30 days and then can try the comfort+ kit since it would be free. Of course by then this mattress might have softened up enough that I won’t need it as I am pretty happy with it so far, just wouldn’t mind a bit more softness at the very top to cushion myself when I sleep on my side.

Hi zexpress,

Yes, if you go back through some of those original posts you made, you were commenting upon some very similar topics.

I think it’s a good idea to take at least 30 days before making any decision. While I know this is what Novosbed requires, it is also what I recommend to give both you and the mattress a “fair chance” to adjust to each other.

I hope that you’ll keep us in the loop of what you eventually decide to do.

Phoenix